• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

An Evening With Rick Mercer in support of NAAP

R@chel

Inactive
Reaction score
Come and spend “An Evening with Rick Mercer” on September 9th, 2007 at the Winspear Centre in downtown Edmonton.  Performing in support of the Northern Alberta Amputee Program’s (NAAP) 2007 fundraising event, Mercer’s one hour show, “Adventures in Canadian Television: An evening with Rick Mercer”, is a comedic performance containing video clips from Rick's illustrious television career including: This Hour has 22 minutes, Talking to Americans and The Rick Mercer Report.  The show runs from 7 p.m. till 10 p.m.

Emceed by local CBC Radio talent Peter Brown, host of CBC Edmonton’s Radio Active program, the evening will also include a performance by Wajjo and Friends and a special post-show reception and book signing with Mcpl. Paul Franklin.  Paul's book, "The Long Walk Home: Paul Franklin's Journey from Afghanistan", wll be sold at the fundraiser.

Ticket prices: $55.00 or $65.00
On sale now through the Winspear Box Office
Charge By Phone: (780) 428-1414       
Toll Free: 1-800-563-5081
Online: www.winspearcentre.com
In person: #4 Sir Winston Churchill Square Corner of 99th Street and 102 Avenue

If you can make it, please come out and support NAAP!

Please note:  a selection of seats are available online; however, you can purchase different seating, not available through online ordering, if you call or order in person. 

NAAP is an organization started by my dh in conjunction with his doctor.  They realized that the peer support for amputees in Northern Alberta was very limited. 
We had visits from lawyers telling us to sue the Army, mean spirited "church" folks who said that Paul lost his legs because he didn't believe in God...  We also had a visit from someone who lost his leg above the knee and he was quite helpful and supportive.  The only problem was that he was working for another prosthetist and was being paid to try and sway us to move away from the Glenrose.  Not good. 
So, Paul and Jackie decided to start this charity with a focus on education and peer support.  The goal is to train amputees in peer support who are unbiased, not religion based, no slamming other people in the field and to offer support to not only the amputee but the family as well.  They also want to do research into new technology and bring it to Canada and to make sure that every amputee across Northern Alberta (and really, we want to take over Canada  ;)) has the same level of fantastic care that Paul has received. 
We are very lucky in that the military has supported us financially for everything that Paul needs to regain normalcy in life.  So he has the gucci computerized legs, 2 wheelchairs, access to the back of the house, every opportunity to try new things.  But that should be the standard for all, not just for the military.
We are also quite lucky in that Rick Mercer is doing an event for us.  All money raised goes directly to NAAP for the above mentioned items, as well as others that I can't remember off the top of my head.  It is at the Winspear which is a great facility, cheap tickets, a bit of wine, some laughs with Rick and a chance to donate to a very worthwhile cause. PM me if you want more info.  We do have a website up and running, which when I figure out how to post a link and get permission, I will put up.

As per Vern's instructions, please find the link to NAAP's website below.

www.naap.med.ualberta.ca

Hi Audra. Sorry that I can't respond to your PM from here.

I hope this suffices.

Just go back to your post to "edit" it.

Paste the Hyperlink into the spot that you want it within your post;

Then highlight it; while it's highlighted, click on the "Insert Hyperlink" button (the small globe icon) in the post toolbar. 

And that should do it for you.

Vern

Thank you for the more in depth explanation. In part because there are quite a few of these programs popping up unfortunately it is sometimes hard to keep track of which is what. Also as you mentioned there sometimes is ulterior motives involved other than the genuine intent to help. Glad to see Paul is doing so well. Saw him on the news this morning.

Just bumping this up!  Don't forget to get your tickets.

Back