• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Airforce mess Dress at civillian wedding?

once a gunner

Inactive
Reaction score
Does anyone know if it would be allowed to wear mess kit as a guest at a civillian wedding?  My friend is getting married and instead of buying a new suit, I was wonder if my mess kit would be appropriate?  at the cost of it, just looking for a few extra places to wear it....

I think the generally accepted protocol is that one should wear it in the evening, at the reception. It's not exactly a walking out order of dress after all. If there's no objection then S1A for the wedding, S2 for the reception.

Thanks for the correction,  I meant to say for the reception....not the actual wedding part...

Talk with the couple in advance to make sure they are OK with it - sometimes, showing up in a uniform can take attention away from the couple on what's supposed to be their day.

Is it a black tie event?  You might be overdressed for the event.

If this is a formal event with guests expected to to wear formal dress, it might be more appropriate.

Back