• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Air Force Bending on Medical Requirements to Deal with Pilot Shortage

s2184

Inactive
Reaction score
Happy New Year 2014!

+++

I have found the following news item on Google News from National Post.

I don't know about the accuracy of the information that is provided in this article.

Probably, experts here could explain them.  ::)

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/01/03/canadian-air-force-bending-on-medical-requirements-to-deal-with-experienced-pilot-shortage/

s2184 said:
News Article (Airforce)
That's a pretty informative thread title; it'll be awesomely useful for anyone searching for it later.  :not-again:

Sorry Journeyman about my title.

I didn't like the title of what is in the National Post, and also any other suitable title didn't come into my thoughts.  :-\

s2184 said:
Happy New Year 2014!

+++

I have found the following news item on Google News from National Post.

I don't know about the accuracy of the information that is provided in this article.

Probably, experts here could explain them.  ::)

If you don't know about the accuracy, why are you making a whiny face?

I dunno; I did recruit applicant medicals out of Gagetown & Fredericton from 02 until 06; then at NCSM JOLLIET, Sept-Iles, with the reserves from 06 until 010; 75% most of the applicants I talked with always wanted to be a pilot...  ;)

Upon reading the article, I'm of the opinion that the CF is "bending" very minor regs to recruit experienced pilots.

In one particular instance, air force officials asked that a former RCAF helicopter pilot who had retired after 37 years in the military be allowed to rejoin despite failing an unspecified yet required medical standard.

Unspecified?  Probably the PT test.

PMedMoe said:
Unspecified?  Probably the PT test.

It says in the article that all pilots must still meet universality of service requirements, so likely not the PT test.

The article mentions hearing and vision. Makes sense too, since pilots have higher medical standards than the common CF standard, these are likely pilots who meet the common CF medical requirements but not those for pilot and are just getting waivers.

bradley247 said:
It says in the article that all pilots must still meet universality of service requirements, so likely not the PT test.

People can fail a PT test and still meet universality of service.  They'd just get retested.

PMedMoe said:
People can fail a PT test and still meet universality of service.  They'd just get retested.

But the member in question (the 37-year veteran) is applying for a waiver in order to be enrolled. Since we aren't PT testing people prior to enrolment, then he would not yet have the opportunity to fail a PT test. I'll second that he likely has a Medcat number off from the standard for the Pilot MOSID.

If the member rejoined and keeps failing PT tests, that's a different story, but he wouldn't need an enrolment waiver -- he'd already be enrolled. His career shop would instead bring up his scarce and valuable experience at his Administrative Review.

Anyway....

I'm sure the waivers are not for serious medical issues.  Even the article stated one was for citizenship.

And:

Hood justified the moves by arguing that the “million-dollar cost” of pilot training “warrants the high initial medical standard” to which recruits are held.

“Skilled pilot re-enrollees do not incur these upfront costs and therefore represent a valuable commodity while the pilot occupation remains significantly (undermanned),” Hood concluded.

The title for this thread should have mirrored the title for the news article: "Canadian air force bending on medical requirements to deal with experienced pilot shortage"

Much ado about nothing.

A very interesting article. What it doesn't address is the critical shortages in many other trades and professions. Pilots always get the attention but they aren't the end all and be all they think they are. Let's face it, you can train a monkey to ride a bike but you can't train him to fix it.

AirDet said:
Pilots always get the attention but they aren't the end all and be all they think they are.

I know lots of pilots.  Maybe some think they are "the be all, end all" but I met guys like that who were blackhat Master Jacks too. 

Let's face it, you can train a monkey to ride a bike but you can't train him to fix it.

::)    Yup, that's the mentality to pass on to your apprentice and journeymen 500 series guys and gals.  *golf clap*

Thanks for sharing the article. I guess this means that (as a pilot applicant), there's a good chance that any or all of my future instructors will be carrying a Euro accident.  :blotto:

matthew1786 said:
.....there's a good chance that any or all of my future instructors will be carrying a Euro accident.  :blotto:
And riding bicycles like monkeys...apparently.  :dunno:

Don't get me wrong, I have many close friends who are MSEOp (Air). I'm just jokingly pointing out that many CF MOCs are experiencing exactly the same challenges but the pilots seem to have a better union rep.

I think PMedMoe was fairly accurate in that this applies more towards "experienced" pilots who are already qualified in some way, so I can't see any changes to "new" applicants without any experience.

AirDet said:
Don't get me wrong, I have many close friends who are MSEOp (Air). I'm just jokingly pointing out that many CF MOCs are experiencing exactly the same challenges but the pilots seem to have a better union rep.

The Pilot Occupation is NO different than any other occupation, except for the fact that they don't have a problem using a big stick to achieve their Manning goals/requirements.

The Pilot Occupation is NO different than any other occupation, except for the fact that they don't have a problem using a big stick to achieve their Manning goals/requirements.

So true. Like I said, the have a good union rep.

AirDet said:
So true. Like I said, the have a good union rep.

A bit more complicated than that but at the end of the day, (1) their voice was heard  (2) the message was conveyed and (3) the message was further reinforced.

Regretably, some occupations just never get past step (2).

Back