• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Age Limits to Join

• Thread starter max_francis
  • Start date
Hmmm - this whole thing about being an officer tied to career options on civvy side doesn't mean a whole lot to me - I was hired as a management consultant (with a nice salary, too) based entirely on my experience as a Reserve Infantry NCO. One of the managers who I worked with was a former Reserve officer who knew the value of cbt arms training and how it really did apply to the "real world" - a situation that I discovered that isn't as rare as some might think... (A surprising number of former and serving reservists and ex-regs occupy key positions in a lot of corporate organizations out there).

My point - don't knock the value of real life training in management under stress - something the cbt arms provide in spades.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the input. I think stress management is a HUGE asset to bring out of the forces with you. I was not implying that you need a degree to make the transfer to a civilian job, there is NO substitute for experience, as I'm sure all of you will attest to in the forces (especially combat arms). I'm just looking for some info as I'm getting up in age and I have to make the proper decision, a wrong choice of careers at this point could really harm my wife and I. Thanks for all the input  :salute:

Thanks a lot for your help. I checked out the links and they were all very helpful.

Now, are there any reserves for the city of Mississauga, or will I have to travel downtown?

Unfortunately, I won't be able to commit to the military because of the travel restrictions I may have, if the closest reserve centre is in Toronto.

Christ dude you put my plans in a nutshell...If you go into the reserves right now you need to finish grade 10...So don't get too worked up until then...

Make sure before your tests to have a fairly vast mathematical, verbal, and spatial ability (used in CFAT) and make sure you train hard so you don't fail your god damn PT!

I went yesterday and failed my hand grip by 10kg...That was it...Now i gotta spend another 30 bucks in about 1 months time to take it again...So train hard...

And I won't be pursuing any life as a police man...I plan to serve for life...Going to go overseas and peacekeep if I can...

Anyways...My brother is wathcin simpsons and marge has abs so m gonna go lol :salute:

Just one thing I noticed in your post:

You say you want to become an NCO, which is great. You also say you want to go the Military University. Currently, Canada only has one (RMC Kingston) and University it is for officers. I'm not trying to discourage you from going to university, but it won't be RMC.
I know that as a reservist NCM, you can get some subsidization to help pay for university. Not sure if anything like that exists for reg force NCMs.

Good Luck!

Right now, there are no units actually in Misassauga.  There will be in the VERY near future however a Company of the Queens Own (I believe), locating out there.  Best bet, call around to the different units and ask.

DVessey said:
Just one thing I noticed in your post:

You say you want to become an NCO, which is great. You also say you want to go the Military University. Currently, Canada only has one (RMC Kingston) and University it is for officers. I'm not trying to discourage you from going to university, but it won't be RMC.
I know that as a reservist NCM, you can get some subsidization to help pay for university. Not sure if anything like that exists for reg force NCMs.

Good Luck!

I would be enlisting full time by the age of 18, therefore I would be attending RMC.

Alright, here is the scoop on the whole Mississauga deal (or as much as my superiors have deemed important enough to tell me). Yes, there is technically a Mississauga company of the Toronto Scottish (75th, which I am a proud part of) that is getting set to parade out of a complex actually 5 walking minutes from my house. Located on Ridgeway, off Burnamthorpe. Anywho, long story short, we were "supposed" to be there this past September, but, well, we are still with Alpha company in Fort York. As it stands, we hear that next September it might be ready. In order to qualify you need to be in the Mississauga area. Hope that has sorted out some of the confusion.

Hey Baloo are you teaching the BMQ course there right now?

OBRIENA said:
I would be enlisting full time by the age of 18, therefore I would be attending RMC.

Don't be too cocky...It's extremely hard to get into RMC...You can have top marks...be full in the military and still not get in...They're damn picky.

Intelligere said:
No, Love.   The Tor Scots are standing up a company in west Mistersauga.   My understanding is that they have a building which has not been renovated yet and so are busing the soldiers they have recruited down to Ft York.   ObrienA, give the Toronto Scottish Regiment a call.   Depending where you are, the Lorne Scots might be an alternative too.

Note that I said, that I believe it is was the Queens Own, I'm not from 32 Bde so I don't really pay attention to the developements in TO. 

marshmanguy said:
Hey Baloo are you teaching the BMQ course there right now?

I wish. Busy with another course at the moment. Are there any Tor Scots teaching on it that you know of?

I think so.  It's mostly the 48th highlanders because it's their armoury but there are some Tor Scots walking around I'm pretty sure, as well as some QOR and QYRANG.

The Lorne Scottish regiment is located im brampton which is farther away, but theres Fort York down in Toronto, thats whre the Tor Scott's and Baloo are at. But if you live in mississuaga, there also trying to open up a centre in mississuaga. If you really want more information or the regiment call 416-200-ARMY.

-Usman

Yes. I am. For now, at least until they get the "bureaucratic red tape" (read: MP issue with security in the area...if you know the area, you know the problems...and just overall sluggishness of the CF administration) and the Mississauga building going.

No, no. I already answered that question (top of this page).  ;)

Back