• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Afghanistan's police force a weak link: general

GAP

Army.ca Legend
Subscriber
Donor
Mentor
Reaction score
Updated Wed. May. 14 2008 9:24 AM ET CTV.ca News Staff
Article Link

Afghanistan's police force is about three years beyond the Afghan National Army in its development, and that poses a problem, says Canada's outgoing commander in Afghanistan.

"There's still a lot of work left to be done, and I think everybody in Afghanistan understands that," Brig.-Gen. Guy Laroche told reporters in Kandahar on Wednesday.

The capacity of the Afghan police must be built up, otherwise it will have an impact on the country's security in the long term, he said.

This is a task for not just Canada but the entire international community in Afghanistan, he said.

Some analysts have said that Afghan police not only lack training in basic policing, they lack the training and equipment to defend themselves against Taliban attacks.

Laroche officially handed over command responsibility to Brig.-Gen. Dennis Thompson on Wednesday, ending a tour of duty that began in August.

The Zhari and Panjwaii districts remain hotspots within Kandahar province, Laroche said.
More on link

GAP said:
Updated Wed. May. 14 2008 9:24 AM ET CTV.ca News Staff
Article Link

Afghanistan's police force is about three years beyond the Afghan National Army in its development, and that poses a problem, says Canada's outgoing commander in Afghanistan.

I assume they mean "behind" not beyond?

I have full confidence that Brig.-Gen. Dennis Thompson  will do an outstanding job

Back