• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Affects of Gas Prices on Cdn Economy

You guys and gals with the 70l tanks have very little to complain about.  :) Try filling up every second day for $900-1200 in a highway tractor. It holds 1200l. Then after listening to your customer complain about the cost of fuel for him to get to work in his car, he tells you that he will not accept a higher fuel surcharge.  :argument: It affects everything. :cdn: :cdn: :salute:

KJK

Kat Stevens said:
Well, as for your #4, ever get in your car at -40, turn the key and go?  How far did you get before the inside of the windshield had more ice on it than the outside?

- My owners manual (owners manuals and bibles being the most widely published unread books in the country) states no more than one minute, then drive.

I've already got a 5 year old one, barely touched.

I hate to brag.....but my 2005 Honda Civic costs $40 to fill up (Just did so, about 20 mins ago) -- and lasts me about a solid 1 1/2 months, to 2 months.        :-D

Do you drive anywhere with that Honda Civic? If you have a fulltime job how is that even possible it lasts you a week? My wife has a 2002 Sunfire and it eats up about $40 every week to week and a half and that's just her driving 20mins to work 5 days a week and back!

Question: Someone above mentioned some type of commuter's assistance etc, anything like that in Alberta and how to apply/get it? And I believe you can claim a certain portion of mileage on you're taxes every year if it's for work also? Not like you have you're own personal business and "write it off" and claim on you're taxes but some kind of a tax break?

Maybe we should start a thread on how to save being raped at the pumps!

Sig Joe said:
Question: Someone above mentioned some type of commuter's assistance etc, anything like that in Alberta and how to apply/get it?

IIRC, only Reservists get commuting allowance.

Sig Joe said:
And I believe you can claim a certain portion of mileage on you're taxes every year if it's for work also? Not like you have you're own personal business and "write it off" and claim on you're taxes but some kind of a tax break?

Be prepared for higher car insurance if you start doing this.  AFAIK, the only ones who can claim mileage on their income tax are those who actually use their vehicle for their job/business, e.g. taxi driver, traveling salesperson, etc.

Sig Joe said:
Do you drive anywhere with that Honda Civic? If you have a fulltime job how is that even possible it lasts you a week? My wife has a 2002 Sunfire and it eats up about $40 every week to week and a half and that's just her driving 20mins to work 5 days a week and back!

Question: Someone above mentioned some type of commuter's assistance etc, anything like that in Alberta and how to apply/get it? And I believe you can claim a certain portion of mileage on you're taxes every year if it's for work also? Not like you have you're own personal business and "write it off" and claim on you're taxes but some kind of a tax break?

Maybe we should start a thread on how to save being raped at the pumps!

Commuting assistance is for reservists who live more than 16km from their ordinary workplace and for whom adequate public transportation is not available.  You get to claim low rate mileage on the distance beyond 16km.  In my diesel Jetta, it was a good amount.  In my Rabbit it about covers the gas and that's all.  It's not a princely sum at all.

As for how to save money at the pumps - there's only one way.  Buy less fuel.  That means plan trips to be efficient, car pool more often, walk or bike where you can, or use transit.  Nothing else will change prices except for altering demand.  Any of those emails about "don't buy gas on this day or from these people" are totally and utterly ineffective.  Reducing your consumption is the only way to really save money.

CBH99 said:
I hate to brag.....but my 2005 Honda Civic costs $40 to fill up (Just did so, about 20 mins ago) -- and lasts me about a solid 1 1/2 months, to 2 months.        :-D

Don't drive much?  As for the $40 fill up, I have a Kia Spectra and it now costs me close to $55 to fill that thing up, must be nice to have cheap gas in your neighborhood!

Here is a good little article that was put out by Canadian Driver that tested the gas mileage of 10 compact cars, and the plain old Honda Civic they drove got 58mpg.  http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/pw/50-litre.htm

Well, I don't have a car - my eyes are that bad; but I do have a portfolio which is somewhat unbalanced in favour of oil stocks, so what is the problem again?  ;D

Pat Martin (NDP) was on the local CBC Radio today extolling the "virtues" of a Regulated Gas Price in Canada...cuz it worked so well in Nova Scotia   ::)  (the price, on average, was 1.5 cents/litre higher than NB, just to pay for "price stability").

I swear to God- Every MP should be required to take a first year economics course before being allowed to take a seat in Parliament.  How is having a national regulator in Ottawa going lower gas prices?  If they force the price too low, what is to stop the refiners from shipping their product to the US to sell at a higher price?  Are the feds going to confiscate the refinery and the bulk tanks?  How will that pull more oil out the ground?

Leaving aside the gross tax load on the fuel we burn, the only way to bring down the price is to let high prices work.  Eventually, people will buy less; Alternate sources of energy will start to get attractive. I looked at the US Dept of Energy site last week- it is already working in the US- production of gasoline is down about 254,000 barrels/day over the same week last year, and total gasoline stocks are up 18.4 million barrels over the same week last year.  The US produces about 8.6 Million barrels of gasoline/day, so this is a drop of about 3% in consumption.

For more, see this link: http://tonto.eia.doe.gov/oog/info/twip/twip_gasoline.html

The Government distorting the market just makes the pain last longer and run deeper.

SeaKingTacco said:
Pat Martin (NDP) was on the local CBC Radio today extolling the "virtues" of a Regulated Gas Price in Canada...cuz it worked so well in Nova Scotia   ::)  (the price, on average, was 1.5 cents/litre higher than NB, just to pay for "price stability").

I swear to God- Every MP should be required to take a first year economics course before being allowed to take a seat in Parliament.  How is having a national regulator in Ottawa going lower gas prices?  If they force the price too low, what is to stop the refiners from shipping their product to the US to sell at a higher price?  Are the feds going to confiscate the refinery and the bulk tanks?  How will that pull more oil out the ground?

Leaving aside the gross tax load on the fuel we burn, the only way to bring down the price is to let high prices work.  Eventually, people will buy less; Alternate sources of energy will start to get attractive. I looked at the US Dept of Energy site last week- it is already working in the US- production of gasoline is down about 254,000 barrels/week over the same week last year, and total gasoline stocks are up 18.4 million barrels over the same week last year.  The US produces about 8.6 Million barrels of gasoline/day, so this is a drop of about 3% in consumption.

For more, see this link: http://tonto.eia.doe.gov/oog/info/twip/twip_gasoline.html

The Government distorting the market just makes the pain last longer and run deeper.

Worked brilliantly in Nova Scotia where lots of little independents in small towns shut down - or PEI where Wilson's simply stopped shipping fuel altogether when it couldn't be done for the regulator's prices.

What gets my goat though are these fools who think that not buying from Esso or Petro Canada will make a difference - without realizing that if demand doesn't change, guess who the Esso refinery is selling gasoline to?  The Shell or Canadian Tire or whichever stations are selling it (Canadian Tire's petrol comes from Esso, by the way, normally).  That's the wonder of dealing in a fungible commodity.

Today, here in Toronto, we needed gas.  Our usual gas station is out of gas and our other usual one was out of regular gas, so, they were offering an upgrade for the same price $1.24 l.  Now, that will definitely affect someones economy.  Like the guy who runs/owns the gas station.  Hopefully, this is not the beginning of gas shortages right before long weekend cuz that would suck :'(

Here, for all you gas price whiners, is an excellent commentary by Neil Reynolds, reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions (§29) of the Copyright Act from today’s Globe and Mail:

http://www.reportonbusiness.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080513.wreynolds0514/BNStory/robColumnsBlogs/home
Why fume? Gas remains a bargain

NEIL REYNOLDS

May 14, 2008 at 6:00 AM EDT

In 1973, the U.S. economy required 17,440 BTUs (British thermal units) to create one dollar's worth of GDP. By 2006, it required only 8,835 BTUs, about half as much. It is this remarkable increase in energy efficiency that helps explain the paradox of high oil prices.

The rising price of gasoline irks people intensely but so far hasn't hurt them significantly. They gas up as frequently now as they ever have. (The U.S. Energy Information Administration says Americans will buy 9.2 million barrels of gasoline a day in 2008, precisely the same as last year – though in a slower-paced economy.) In fact, of course, people are getting the energy equivalent of two tanks of gas every time they fill up. It's like paying twice as much as you want to pay for a carton of eggs – but getting 24 of them in every dozen.

In its most recent analysis of gas prices, the Washington-based Institute for Energy Research calculates the average inflation-adjusted U.S. pump price – for the past 90 years – at $2.26 (U.S.) a gallon. These days, at an average price of $3.30 a gallon, U.S. gas prices appear almost 50 per cent higher. Yet this apparently exceptional rise puts the cost of gasoline at the same level that prevailed at the height of the oil price panic during the Iran-Iraq war in the early 1980s – when the nominal price doubled from 75 cents a gallon to $1.50 a gallon.

How exceptional is the present cost of gasoline? The U.S. Bureau of Labour Statistics says its “all-items” category of goods and services has risen in real-dollar terms by 100 per cent in the past 20 years alone. Vegetables have risen by 138 per cent, fruit by 160 per cent. Medical care has risen by 170 per cent. College tuition has risen by 263 per cent. Although now above its historic average, gasoline remains a bargain. Adjusted for inflation, for example, economy-wide transportation costs have fallen 10 per cent in the past two decades.

The more efficient use of energy is a great technological achievement. The U.S. population has increased by 90 million people (or 44 per cent) since 1975. The U.S. economy has grown by more than $7-trillion in GDP (or 160 per cent). Energy consumption, on the other hand, has risen by only 32 per cent (from 75.7 quadrillion, or thousand-trillion, BTUs to 99.5 quadrillion BTUs). Without this efficiency gain, the U.S. would have needed almost 100 per cent more energy – that is, another 100 quadrillion BTUs – to produce the same goods and services.

Some people argue that this leap in energy efficiency occurred only because U.S. companies shipped manufacturing operations abroad. Yet, from 1992 through 2005, energy-intensive U.S. manufacturers reduced their shipments by only four percentage points (from 30 per cent to 26 per cent) as a share of all manufactured shipments. And U.S. production of goods actually increased (though the number of jobs in manufacturing did fall).

Assume that energy prices remain as high through 2016 as they are now. Assume further that the U.S. produces the same efficiency gains through these next eight years as it has in the past 20. This further increase in efficiency would reduce the real price of gasoline to its historic average – $2.26 a gallon. (In an odd coincidence, the U.S. Department of Transportation calculates in its own projections that improvements in car mileage will effectively reduce the pump price of gasoline by 2016 to $2.26 a gallon.) Even now, U.S. gasoline prices are below the prices of the 1970s and the 1980s. Since 1970, for instance, world demand for oil has doubled from 45 million barrels a day to 90 million b/d. In the same period, average annual U.S. gas prices (adjusted for both efficiency and inflation and expressed in 2007 dollars) have fallen from $4 a gallon to $3.30 a gallon. From the peak panic of the Iran-Iraq war, gas prices have fallen from $6 a gallon to $3.30 a gallon.

You can also track the rise and fall of retail gas prices for the past 90 years by comparing the price of 1,000 gallons of gas with per capita GDP. From this perspective, gas prices have fallen in every single decade, whether in wartime or in peacetime, since the 1920s – when Americans needed as much as 50 per cent of per capita GDP to make this purchase. In the 1930s, the percentage fell to 35. In the 1950s, it fell to 15 per cent. In the 1970s and throughout the Iran-Iraq war, it fell to 10 per cent. In the 1990s, it fell to 4 per cent, its lowest level ever. In 2007, it increased marginally to 5.3 per cent.

Are you listening, Jack Layton? Ms. Clinton? Anyone?

Regulated gas here on the Rock but still high, $1.339/L for regular SS, Mid Grade @1.369 SS, Premium $1.399 SS, Diesel $1.464 SS/FS

See attached PDF to see how it varies in different parts of the province dated 08-May-2008

I managed on my last two fills to get pretty good (relatively!) prices - $1.174 in Trenton last Wednesday (at the Ultramar between the base and Belleville), last night the Ultramar on the 401 at Port Hope had $1.219 when everywhere else was betwen $1.24 - $1.27.  Of course, I have to go to Ottawa for a wedding and the wife has to leave before me in the TDI (which will cost half what it costs me) so I'm sure I'll get stuck buying pricey fuel to get home on Sunday.

Now if only I had a tanker truck and a place to store the fuel and share it with my buddies - Imperial Oil's wholesale rack price in Toronto is $0.8770/L.

Back