• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

A "unique" situation

anjazellinksova

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey everyone so to give a little back story to my questions as I think it'll be relevant.
I'm 19 turning 20 in October and I'm Transgender. Meaning I was born male but my brain is female, So I dress and appear as a female on a daily basis.
I've been looking into the med tech position for the past little while and I was some questions about it.

Whats the daily life of a med tech after basic training when you go onto Borden?

After when you've received your training in Borden whats the daily life of a med tech when you've been posted?

If you were in training with someone who is transgender how did others treat them?

I have a small frame weighing about 110 pounds being tall (5'9) and not very fit? Will the training kill me?

Sorry if these seem like repetitive questions I just would really like to know in case I do join.

Sorry if these seem like repetitive questions I just would really like to know in case I do join.

Hello,

You will find that a lot of your questions have already been answered on various threads of this forum. There is a search function at the top of the screen so that is a good place to start regarding your questions about Med Techs and fitness, etc.

As far as the transgender questions, you can get a bit of an idea about what to expect from this thread:
http://army.ca/forums/threads/79867/post-759035.html#msg759035

Otherwise, there may or may not be others here that can contribute their experience serving alongside transgenders, specifically while at BMQ. I would like to think that you would be treated like anyone else, however I cannot attest to that.

Good luck with your research.

This is from personal experience onboard a Halifax class frigate , the ship and crew names will not be used for privacy.

Between 2013-2015 I had been posted on a certain ship and there was 2 members whom which were under going gender re-assignment surgery.
1 male to female , and vice versa, 1 female to male...

I can't speak for any Army or Airforce base, but on the ships the living quarters are very tight and they are indeed segregated by gender... that being said out of a ships company of 225 we may have any given number of females on board but on average I notice around 30-40.
This means that #2 mess will have aproxx 15 members and then another mess mid ships will accommodate the remainder / if there are more women then another mess will be converted to female only living quarters.

From what I witnessed in the 2 years these procedures were going on things seemed to go just fine , the woman that was re-assigning to man was already established in social circles and had already proven her...himself with excellent dress / deportment  / professionalism and trade knowledge... so things went just peachy keen ! 

The only thing that was "awkward" was the way this member had to share in the living quarters, the bunk and a small area around the members locker was slightly quarantined to allow for additional privacy for changing clothing  and they remained to use their previous genders wash place for the bathroom and showering until after the surgery.

Things with the male to female on the other hand did not meld quite as smoothly but none the less things did work out once the women on board realized that the member was quite serious BUT it did take some time / getting used to...

So my answer would be / best guess that is ;

If you want something then go for it, but do not make excuses during basic training, granted it is hard but many before you have made it and you can to if you give it 100%

Good luck!

Back