• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

A Question Of Ethics...

MARS2INF said:
...is that to say that we can pick and choose what ones we follow??

That's a mad-max society waiting to happen... a world that the squeegee kid weighing in at a buff 118lbs while holding a bucket of soapy water and wearing an ANARCHY t-shirt that, by virtue of the shirt, apparently believes he can survive in.

If you saw someone being stabbed and you had a gun, would you shoot the person with the knife?  The law says equal force so you would be breaking the law.

If you saw someone trapped inside a burning building, would you go in a rescue them?  That would be trespassing.

Throughout history morality and ethics have caused people to challenge the law not blindly follow it.  There was a time when it was the law that coloured people had to ride in the back of the bus, women were not allowed to vote and flogging was an acceptable punishment.  Was it morally and ethically sound to abide by the law to prevent anarchy?

My suggestion is to sidestep the ethical issue by pulling out your cellphone (everybody except me has one now, right?) and call the police to tell them about a stranded motorist in need of assistance. 
The situation described does not sound like an emergency to me, and therefore not a reason to call the police. IMHO

Pieman said:
The situation described does not sound like an emergency to me, and therefore not a reason to call the police.
Which is why the police have an emergency number and a non-emergency number.  It was simply being suggested as to do something to help, without endangering yourself, or putting yourself in the wrong.  Another idea would be to stop at the closest service station and they can send a towtruck or such back to the guy too.

It was simply being suggested as to do something to help, without endangering yourself, or putting yourself in the wrong.  Another idea would be to stop at the closest service station and they can send a towtruck or such back to the guy too.
Understood. I personally would not bother the police with such a matter. The tow truck idea is good, but really I think you would have to stop and ask the guy what exactly the problem was first if you were going to do something like that. (I did mention that idea in my original post BTW)

i think the key is to maintain good situational awareness, and use logic and common sense.... asses the scene before you decide the best course of action. examine the variables and remember that regardless your safety is going to come first.

but thats just me.... and ive stopped to help plenty of people.... and continued driving for others.....

Pieman said:
Understood. I personally would not bother the police with such a matter.

Actually, the RCMP and Canadian Tire co-operated a few years ago to provide reflective "Call Police" signs that clip onto a car window (sticking out to be visible to passing cars) for just this purpose.  The idea was to enable stranded motorists to get some kind of help without others having to (potentially) endanger themselves.

Neill McKay said:
...The idea was to enable stranded motorists to get some kind of help without others having to (potentially) endanger themselves.

Or the motorists themselves possibly being put into danger.

Back