• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

A Question Of Ethics...

MARS2INF

Inactive
Reaction score
So I'm driving down the highway the other day when I see an individual hitchhiking. Hilariously ironic, seeing as 5 feet ahead of him was a "Picking Up Hitchhikers Is Illegal" sign. He didn't have a jerry can or anything, but from the immobile car about 1/4 mile back, I'm guessing he ran out of gas or had a breakdown of some sort.

So, I had an ethical dilemma.

Should I, as a member of the CF, outright "break the law" by picking up this individual believed to be in distress of some sort, or do I drive by, knowing it is illegal to pick up hitchhikers...

What would you do?? I await, curiously...

MARS2INF said:
So I'm driving down the highway the other day when I see an individual hitchhiking. Hilariously ironic, seeing as 5 feet ahead of him was a "Picking Up Hitchhikers Is Illegal" sign. He didn't have a jerry can or anything, but from the immobile car about 1/4 mile back, I'm guessing he ran out of gas or had a breakdown of some sort.

So, I had an ethical dilemma.

Should I, as a member of the CF, outright "break the law" by picking up this individual believed to be in distress of some sort, or do I drive by, knowing it is illegal to pick up hitchhikers...

What would you do?? I await, curiously...

I just finishe PSE 402 Leadership and Ethics for my OPMEs....i hate you for even reminding me of this stuff......damned you  ;D

Perhaps he was a 'carjacker' or a 'joy rider' who ran out of gas?  What would you have done if he was, and you had stopped to pick him up (and his friend hiding in the ditch)?

Normally when you see that sign, your near a Corrections Institute. At the minimum securtiy ones they can walk away out to the road. The sign is there for a reason.

George Wallace said:
Actually this isn't a question of Ethics, but one more on Morals.

both are inter-related...trust me.........

recceguy said:
Normally when you see that sign, your near a Corrections Institute. At the minimum security ones they can walk away out to the road. The sign is there for a reason.

To clarify this point: I was southbound, Highway 19, between Comox and Qualicum Beach at the time of the incident in question. (Is there a penitentiary in that vicinity?)

MARS2INF said:
To clarify this point: I was southbound, Highway 19, between Comox and Qualicum Beach at the time of the incident in question. (Is there a penitentiary in that vicinity?)

not that i know of, i drive that route alot.  Picking up hicthikers is illegal all over BC IIRC

It would depend on which moral theory you prefer.

Are you an ethical relativist who beleives that morality is depnedant on the culture or society he/she lives in ;

Are you a moral objectivist who beleives that there are morals natural to all human beings ;

Perhaps you are a utilitarian, who beleives that the right thing to do is the act that results in the most "good"

Or maybe a deontologist,  (either rule-, act- or rule-rational ) ?

Maybe you beleive in virtue-based morals ?

Mud Recce Man said:
CdnAviator, I think you need a hobby friend!    ;D

Thats all i remember from what amounted to the worse course of my military career !!  I realy hated doing the stuff......thank f*** i am starting the last OPME next week.....i'm done ( almost) and will not have to worry about after that !!

Would it be possible to blend 2 of them:

a utilitarian moral objectivist who believes that there are morals natural to all human beings, insofar as that the right thing to do is the act that results in the most "good"; that sounds about right IMHO

Well, then you could be political and be a "Bleeding-Heart Left Leaning Liberal" and pick him and all his friends up.

MARS2INF said:
Would it be possible to blend 2 of them:

a utilitarian moral objectivist who believes that there are morals natural to all human beings, insofar as that the right thing to do is the act that results in the most "good"; that sounds about right IMHO

Listen...the point is that there is no right answer to your question because my morals may not be the same as yours and anyone elses. Thats the trouble with morals and ethics.  I suggest you take the course and discover ( and agonize) for yourself and see.

cdnaviator said:
Listen...the point is that there is no right answer to your question because my morals may not be the same as yours and anyone elses. Thats the trouble with morals and ethics.  I suggest you take the course and discover ( and agonize) for yourself and see.

standingby for OPMEs once I finish trade training... looking forward to the courses. Going to have to keep you on my fave's list for the Ethics course, methinks... be good to banter about some things from the course with you...

Back