• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

A few questions.

Cabral

Inactive
Reaction score
I am on christmas leave from BMQ, I'm an Ordinary Seaman hired to be trained as a Naval Weapons Tech.

1. Once I finish BMQ how long will it be until I make Able Seaman and get my first chevron?
2. My Master Seaman, who is also a NWT, always calls himself a gunner. Is that a term for NWT's just like Engineers are called Sappers?
3. I want to be trained and serve on one of our submarines. Is that something that would help me be promoted a little faster during the course of my career?

Thanks for any responses

Cabral

Cabral said:
I am on christmas leave from BMQ, I'm an Ordinary Seaman hired to be trained as a Naval Weapons Tech.

1. Once I finish BMQ how long will it be until I make Able Seaman and get my first chevron?
Usually 36 months
2. My Master Seaman, who is also a NWT, always calls himself a gunner. Is that a term for NWT's just like Engineers are called Sappers?
yes, and Combat Engineers are Sappers not the naval type
3. I want to be trained and serve on one of our submarines. Is that something that would help me be promoted a little faster during the course of my career?
All depends on you...put in a request form upon completion of your course

Thanks for any responses

Cabral

Responses are bolded.

To re-iterate:
You're in the NAVY, Engineers are called STOKERS!!! Just wanted to clear that one up right now!
As for the rest, I think your questions have been answered.

Promotion on submarines has historically been fairly slow, for a number of reasons. There have been exceptions to that, but I wouldn't recommend going boats if you're planning to climb the ladder as quickly as possible.

Now if you want a challenging and enjoyable career, then you should go boats.

NWT = "Gunners", "Gunbusters", No Work Today, No Work Tomorrow, Non-Working Technician, Not Worth Training, and I've probably forgotten others.

All are terms used in jest, since everyone in the Navy ends up humping their "bullets" someday!

To becomeĀ  submariner as an NWT you will need to wait until you have completed your QL 5 academics. So apply once you start your QL5

Back