• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

5 More Canadian Soldiers Injured March 3, 2006

• Thread starter Thread starter 043
  • Start date Start date
Here's hoping a speedy recovery to all involved and to the commanders......patience!!

:salute:

hahahahahahaha

2023 - thanks for disengaging from the "tit for tat" that was developing... I was expecting a much more.. umm.. "animated" response from you  ;)

MD - 2023 pretty much indicated, when questioned - that it was a rant. These situations affect everyone differently, and are bound to elicit more emotional responses from some people than others. They are worried, frustrated, you name it. It's all fine and dandy that you can make an intellectual analysis of every single word typed here, but I don't think it's a very realistic evaluation, on your part. You never seem to want to acknowledge the "human factor". That doesn't mean emotion is an excuse to act like an idiot, nor does it mean that everyone who injects emotion into their responses is some kind of caveman. If I utter "damn" or "shit" when I hit my thumb with a hammer, it doesn't really mean that I literally want to condemn that hammer to hades; nor does it mean that I am convinced that it is really a hardened and balanced piece of fecal matter.

Let's keep the topics on track, and take personal quarrels to PM-land. Thanks to all.

Oh it was difficult not to bite, trust me!!!!!!!

Your comments were very well said.

I noticed you are in Az, ever go jumping in Eloy?

Just got home from work and heard about the suicide bomber . Hopefully this does not become a day to day occurrance , hard to gain the initiative when the fockers play dirty pool . Hope Mike gets better soon , at least that extra armour saved some lives . What type of close quarter protection does the Lav 3 have ? . If the rear security sees a threat are they relegated to using a C9 ? , good gun , not much stopping power . Wouldnt be nice to have pintel mounted  miniguns ? that would sort out a would be suicide bomber . Even the old 50 cal would stop them in there tracks , the Lav 3 looks like it has some serious blind spots that make it vulnerable to attack from the sides and rear .

Cannonfodder said:
What type of close quarter protection does the Lav 3 have ? . If the rear security sees a threat are they relegated to using a C9 ? , good gun , not much stopping power . Wouldnt be nice to have pintel mounted  miniguns ? that would sort out a would be suicide bomber . Even the old 50 cal would stop them in there tracks , the Lav 3 looks like it has some serious blind spots that make it vulnerable to attack from the sides and rear .

We can't get into that without going into OPSEC concerns......

Sorry

Regards

Cannonfodder EVERY vehicle has its strengths and weaknesses ie blind spots, high center of gravity etc.  We do the best we can with what we have.

SHELLDRAKE!! said:
I can't remember any recent VBIED's being driven into American convoys recently, so maybee the taliban have (as a result of American convoy policy) just had to resort to ied's in parked vehicles or roadside.

It is just not reported. US soldiers get hit often, I'd even say often enough for it not to be news.

OPSEC  a term d'jour  , nothing to secretive  about the question . Any reponse to a threat  at close quarter must be with maximum stopping force  . If pintel mounted C9s are being employed this is not adequate  something more potent must be used . Iam sure the CDS would not have a problem with footing the bill for some Miniguns for flank and rear protection . Quick , effective , devastating firepower , now is the time to hit him up , you might just get it .

Not a term du jour at all....    ::)

Would you like everyone in the world know what the troops mounted use in their vehicles and what they do to stop VBIEDs?

I know I wouldn't if I were still there.

How about posting the ROEs while we're at it then?

Regards

may I inquire what the acronym OPSEC means?
My guess operation secrets?

In addition, my best regards to the families and safe wishes to my "Family" there.

Lost_Warrior said:
No one is "occupying" anything.  Canadian Forces are there at the request of the government of Afghanistan.

That doesn't mean that the populous sees it that way.  Especially in that neck of the woods.

Best wishes to the wounded!  To all of those who are looking for a failure here, taking casualties against determined attackers who are willing to accept casualties, and willing to endager any number of innocent civilian bystanders to get a shot at one of ours, is inevitable.  We could shoot the shite out of anything that approached within 50m of one of our patrols, and not have to worry about suicide bombers for about a week.  At the end of that week, expect the entire country to rise against us.  Our ROE's will bind our hands more than the enemies do, for we do care about killing innocent civilians, protecting those civilians and helping them rebuild their country is why we are there.  None of us joined the army because we wanted to live forever, we are professionals who do their best to see that all of ours come home alive and well, and anybody that takes a crack at us goes down.  In the end, we have to accept a certain amount of risk, rather than protect ourselves at the cost of mowing down twenty innocents with 25mm to splash one hostile butt-monkey.  In the end, the discipline to respond with measured force, and the will to continue to patrol aggressively in the face of resistance, is what is going to win in Afghanistan.  When we are done, Afghanistan will be a country again, and not a terrorist training camp/drug factory.  To every soldier wearing the leaf in Afghanistan, keep the faith!  You are doing the toughest job in the world right now, and one that badly needs doing. :salute:

Back