• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

33 CBG ICE issue in the works

black gerber has a crimper
was intended for the Sappers
Sappers aren't to use the crimper cause you have to fumble / pass the detonators between your hands a couple of times......

t'was a good idea though ;)

My black gerber doesn't have a crimper...I've seen the ones that do, though

The SOG has the crimper; which as was mentioned there is a Canforgen forbiding its use.

Blaisboy said:
The Black Gerber is better though, it locks while the silver one does not.

First generation silver and black gerbers are recalled as they have caused quite a few boo-boos due to their lack of locking mechanism. They were originally replaced by the black gerber with the locking mechanism. Now we are getting Gerber's from more than one contractor and some are black, some are silver, but both have locking mechanisms. If yours doesn't have a locking mechanism take it into clothing and exchange it for the authorized gerber.

Lot of the troops come into the counter and say they are not allowed to have the silver gerber when we give them that and state they must have the black gerber. Not quite correct, they must have a gerber with a locking mechanism...be it silver or black.

The other "black" knife is not a gerber but a SOG with crimping tool. Entitlement to this item is based upon the Unit that you are posted to and not by trade. CANFORGEN is indeed out on this knife last year stating that it was not to be used for crimping.

If you kept all your kit when you CT'd from the Reserves, then your Clothing Docs still exist and all your kit is still on your charge.  You never got to get anything for free in that transaction.  If your Docs don't exist, then that means that there was an Administrative Deduction that recouped all the costs of the items from your Reserve Pay.

Piper said:
Looks like I'm going to be exchanging (well, bringing them in to be thrown out and replaced) some nicely worn socks and undies in 3 years.  ;)
I'm sure that as more gear and CTS items make their way into the Supply system from the manufacturer's...the entitlements will be changing.
Let's not forget that the current entitlements are being set because of requirement to kit out deploying pers first, then other Reg Force/ResF field personnel second. CTS is only purchasing so much / year.

Training sites (such as Gagetown!!) fall to the bottom of the priority list for initial issues for alot of the CTS items because, quite simply put, our requirements for them are lesser than deploying and operational (mounting/force generator Units). As these higher priority Units become kitted out with the new items...the entitlement slides downwards towards the non-force generating units such as is now being experienced with the ICE.

All that said Vern, do you think that the mounting of TF 1-07 will have an impact on Gagetowns priority status?

As I understand it, 2RCR is going to form the nucleus for the TF, with significant reserve augmentation from 36 Bde (maybe 37 bde...I'm not sure).

Do you think that this TF will get kitted out in Gagetown, or will they all have to wait until they go to Wainwright?

troops will get their TWs aws the TF is forming. ARs will be issued at a later time - prior to deployment.

Piper said:
What I'm asking is, re: the gerber, can I exchange it for the proper one (and maybe even my CTS socks/underwear etc) even though I am no longer supposed to have it? Or will it be taken away from me at stores? It is all still on my docs, but I am not really 'supposed' to have it as an officer cadet. All the other ex 'Mo guys got to keep all their kit....but I don't believe we can exchange it until we are again entitled to it (so once we hit our units). 

Whenever I've had to exchange something I just take it into clothing stores at NHDQ and they've always just made a one-for-one swap without even referencing my docs.

Well, turns out they WERE joking back in the winter- however we did finally get issued the stuff this weekend; ICE jacket, pants, and two sets of fleece. No overalls or parka as of yet, but not a huge concern.

There are a whole lot of happy reservists in the national capital region this weekend. Safe bet is the stuff should be disseminating south through Ontario pretty soon.

Brihard:

Did your SQ and BMQ troops get issued the ICE, IECS or were they left with the old OG107 cnavas stuff?

Haggis said:
Brihard:

Did your SQ and BMQ troops get issued the ICE, IECS or were they left with the old OG107 cnavas stuff?

I know that the troops doing SQ at Connaught were bussed out to Walkley for the ICE, so they have it. I don't think the remainder of our unit's PAT platoon got it though- just the people actively on SQ right now. I'm not aware of us having any BMQ qualified troops who are not currently on the SQ.

PAT Platoon most definitely did not get issued the ICE system. Some of us still have to wait over a month to get our initial kit in the first place  :P

Well, that was fast. Today I saw some tool at Carleton in civvies with his ICE jacket and small pack on. I was too taken aback to stop and ask questions- he passed me coming out a door, going the other direction, but if I see him again I'll find out his deal and give him a few bits of friendly advice- like how not to look like a retard at a school swarming with incognito reservists...

Brihard said:
Well, that was fast. Today I saw some tool at Carleton in civvies with his ICE jacket and small pack on. I was too taken aback to stop and ask questions- he passed me coming out a door, going the other direction, but if I see him again I'll find out his deal and give him a few bits of friendly advice- like how not to look like a retard at a school swarming with incognito reservists...

Just get his Service #, rank and name for his RDP  ;D

Brihard said:

Just get his name & report him thru the regular channels.
It's amaazing how disuasive disciplinary procedures will affect all others

... or just let him keep on wearing the stuff so you've got a better chance with the chicks

Back