• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

28 Oct 07 CBC "Cross Country Checkup" on AFG Caveats

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Just heard that the caveats of other countries in AFG is the topic of today's Cross Country Checkup on CBC Radio 1 (times, phone number and e-mail listed below):

Sunday, October 28, 2007
On Cross Country Checkup ...Afghanistan

Canadian troops on the front line in Afghanistan are having trouble getting support from some NATO allies. Some countries have offered more troops but most don't want to get involved in the combat operations in the south.

What do you think? Are the allies justified in hanging back ...or are they taking advantage of the Canadians? Is Canada doing more than its fair share in Afghanistan?

Join host Rex Murphy, Sunday on Cross Country Checkup

Live on CBC Radio One at:
Newfoundland 5:36 - 7:30 pm
Atlantic 5:06 - 7:00 pm
Eastern 4:06 - 6:00 pm
Central 3:06 - 5:00 pm
Mountain 2:06 - 4:00 pm
Pacific 1:06 - 3:00 pm
Toll-free number (during the broadcast only):  1-888-416-8333

(....)

E-mail:
checkup@cbc.ca

....  Due to the extremely high amount of junk mail we receive, please put the words 'Cross Country' in the subject line of your message -- all messages without it will be trashed.

Caught the start.

Caught the end.

The peaceniks were passionate.

The first caller seemed to think the Europeans were reluctant to join
the fight because they sense that we are sliding into a world war.

Does this pattern of logic seem familiar?

Regards all......... ;D

Ah no, I missed it. I was looking forward to hearing this.  :'(

I listened briefly to one caller saying Canadians were world-famous as "peacekeepers" (hah! I wonder how many Euros, Americans, Japanese, Indians, Chinese, Austrialians, et al. are aware of our fame) and that is all our military should do.

Torture to the ears and mind.

Mark
Ottawa

Flip said:
The peaceniks were passionate.

Does this pattern of logic seem familiar?

Nothing new there, the usual chorus with the predicatable and tiresome litany of "we're peacekeepers; it's all about oil; we're just lackeys of American imperialism (I think 'bully' was the term used); and why can't we all hold hands and sing Cumbiyah with the Islamofacsists?  Although I did think the mutt who accused CBC of being the ministry of propaganda was pretty funny.

Fortunately though I think there were just as many supporters as there were detractors and was glad to hear a Silver Cross mother and a serving officer's wife inject some reality.  Even Bob Rae sounded reasonable for an opposition MP.  Jack Layton on the other hand... well is he overdue for a vet visit and his distemper shot?

I listened in briefly yesterday.  I heard three callers, all of whom passionately SUPPORTED the mission.  To quote one person "We should be there for the marathon, not the sprint".  Another caller, a woman from somewhere in BC, again supported the mission, quite passionately.  I missed the drivel.  Now, I believe that Rex Murphy (the host of Cross Country Checkup) is a supporter of the mission (just my belief, I don't know for sure).  What was his reaction to the "conspiracy theorists"?

What was his reaction to the "conspiracy theorists"?

For the fist three callers he was put into the position as advocate.
All three said we should get out now instead of dealing with the
question posed.I think this guy was the third.
Although I did think the mutt who accused CBC of being the ministry of propaganda was pretty funny.
Bob Rae thought that he was "over the top" with his comments. ;D

I believe that Rex Murphy (the host of Cross Country Checkup) is a supporter of the mission (just my belief, I don't know for sure).

That's the Gist I get too - and I would say the same of Peter Mansbridge.

On the other hand, I find CTV news unwatchable most of the time.

There was an Afghan Canadian aid worker or something who called in?
She sounded like a good source. And before her someone who had her
ducks in a row and an accent. Was it the ambassadors' wife? I didn't catch her intro.

It was interesting - the peace crowd got on to make emotional and at
times nonsensical noise.
The mission crowd got on to interject some logic.

My opinion anyway........ ;D

We are taking a leadership role this time around but in the past we too have hung back and did not fully pull our weight , thanks to the Liberials. I think what is at stake here is NATO it's self ....and the apathy that is prevalent in the political world  today . No one except for the Americans wants to get their hands dirty,  as we can see from the past,  the American experience with these Wars have been messy and very costly,  and most Government leaders of today will not take a stand on principal but instead are driven by poles . This is a game of catch up and leads to Countries floundering , making lots of noise but getting little down in the way of world policing. I'm sorry but when there is a crime being committed on our streets at best 50 % of people do nothing and walk by,  in some areas of the world it is higher . You cannot let these same people drive your foreign policy .

It worries me that international participation will take a back seat in the future because it is looked upon as political suicide .

Cheers, Ken

Back