• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

22 dead in Iraq, 72 wounded

• Thread starter Thread starter Peace_Keeper
  • Start date Start date
P

Peace_Keeper

http://www.cbc.ca/story/world/national/2004/12/22/iraq-US041222.html

Last Updated Wed, 22 Dec 2004 15:40:56 EST
BAGHDAD - A suicide bomber was likely responsible for the attack that killed 18 Americans and four Iraqis at a base in northern Iraq, a top Pentagon official confirmed Wednesday.

The explosion on Tuesday ripped out the roof of the mess tent at Marez base. (AP Photo/Richmond Times-Dispatch, Dean Hoffmeyer) 
The chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, General Richard Myers, said it appears the blast which ripped through a mess tent at Base Marez was caused by an "improvised explosive device worn by an attacker."

U.S. troops have shut down bridges and sealed off neighbourhoods in the northern Iraqi city as they hunt for suspects.

Soldiers blocked five major bridges and searched house to house in some districts in Mosul on Wednesday, one day after the deadly attack.

Initial reports said a 122-mm rocket slammed through the tent's ceiling and sprayed shrapnel at soldiers eating lunch.

But a radical Sunni Muslim group that claimed responsibility for the attack, the Ansar al-Sunnah Army, called it a "martyrdom operation," implying that a suicide bomber struck the mess hall.

The blast killed 18 Americans â “ 14 soldiers and four civilian contractors â “ and four Iraqis, the U.S. military command in Baghdad said Wednesday.

Fifty-one U.S. military personnel were among the wounded, which also included American civilians, Iraqi troops and other foreigners.

Workers and U.S. soldiers tend to people injured in the blast. (AP Photo/Richmond Times-Dispatch, Dean Hoffmeyer) 
Among the dead are four employees and three subcontractors of Kellogg Brown & Root, a subsidiary of Halliburton Co., a supplier to oil and gas companies, said company spokesperson Wendy Hall.

Doctors at the military hospital near Mosul treated dozens of soldiers for burns, shrapnel wounds and eye injuries.

The explosion capped a week of deadly attacks across Iraq that showed the increasing power of insurgents before the national elections scheduled for Jan. 30.

President George W. Bush vowed on Tuesday that the deaths would not set back the election, telling the victims' relatives that their loved ones died on "a vital mission for peace."

"I'm confident democracy will prevail in Iraq," he said.

Iraq's interim prime minister Ayad Allawi said those responsible for the attack also want to stir up sectarian civil war.

Mosul, which lies about 360 kilometres north of Baghdad, has seen mounting attacks by militants in the past year, especially after a U.S.-led offensive on insurgents in Fallujah in November.

Written by CBC News Online

Mod. edit: just added the text

Ya saw this on the news. I believe the phrase that was constantly being used by reporters was something along the lines of if the Americans cant secure their own bases what chances do they have of securing the polls for a election. What a mess, should be intresting to see what the final say is on what caused the explosion.

whats more disturbing about the security issue is, the current theory coming out of iraq on cnn is that there was a bomb placed inside the mess hall... not an attack from an RPG or mortar.... so someone infiltrated the base.That or one of the soldiers snapped, who knows.

jmackenzie_15 said:
whats more disturbing about the security issue is, the current theory coming out of iraq on cnn is that there was a bomb placed inside the mess hall... not an attack from an RPG or mortar.... so someone infiltrated the base.That or one of the soldiers snapped, who knows.

It may also be that locally engaged, contract support employees are a threat.   I have been supporting the use of private sector people to do admin and support tasks.   See: http://army.ca/forums/threads/23755.15.html and George Wallace, amongst others, has been arguing that we need fewer of them   If this is an inside job then my argument takes a big hit ... maybe pot walloping in the admin area is a vital military requirement.  

As someone who admittedly knows nothing about the setup of military bases in theatre, Im curious... is the mess hall not one of those places you have centrally located and far away from the main fences?

The news made it seem like the mess tent was setup in the middle of the city on a major street.

all the mess halls ive ever been to were far enough away from the main gates that hitting it with an RPG would have to be one hell of a shot, or an impossible one.Depends on how big the camp is.... if its the size of gagetown, forget about it.But none of us have seen the inside of that american camp, so who knows.

A friend of a friend is working in the same camp right now; after a 24 hour delay, he finally got in touch with his wife to tell her he was ok.  Spooky. 

I would imagine there was a large rush to the sat-phones to contact love ones after that made the news!
Sadly I think the US and the world is starting to grow "used" to the body counts....

It was about 24hrs ago when I first heard the news (its 0630 now here on Thus, 23 Dec. Anyways, I just cringed. They say here 15 US soldiers, 4 Us contractors, and the remainder Iraqi military. Many of the KIAs are from Ft Lewis.

15 men, thats alot, and so close to Christmas, it must be rough for the families, and my thoughts are with them.

Wes

13 Us soliders, 5 Us civillans, 1 unidentifed nationality and the rest Iraqis sdead

RIP all those who lost their lifes. My heart goes out to the familys.  A speedy recovery to the wounded. I saw some pics it looked bad.

This morning in the paper, they claimed it was a 122mm rocket. But I don't know now.

Thoughts are with the families.

Big footprints make for big targets.  Things like this should spur us to move away from the "monstrosity base" mentality that leads to things like Camp Julien.

I never really understood the use of local's in a base or other sensitive area.  Esp. while hostilities are still a daily occurance.  Its my understanding that in A Stan the Americans had a similar policy while the CAN didn't (Roto 0) .  Perhaps a member from that or more current missions could elaborate.

To the 22 KIA, RIP, brothers...
To the wounded, I hope you see a speedy and healthy recovery...

CFL said:
I never really understood the use of local's in a base or other sensitive area.   Esp. while hostilities are still a daily occurance.   Its my understanding that in A Stan the Americans had a similar policy while the CAN didn't (Roto 0) .   Perhaps a member from that or more current missions could elaborate.

We use locals as do the US - the idea (from how it was explaned to me) is to get the locals working with our forces so we are seen less as an invader - and we provide money into the local economy.
the Shitter truck, garbage trucks, and laundry folk at CJ are locals.

The rationale is good... but I cant see how rather demeaning labour (shitter, garbage and laundry) is supposed to foster anything but subserviance.

*Shrug*

Meridian said:
The rationale is good... but I cant see how rather demeaning labour (shitter, garbage and laundry) is supposed to foster anything but subserviance.

*Shrug*

You're a middle class North American who views garbagemen and launderers as menial laborurers.   Others view those jobs differently; step past your biases.

How do the Sanitation Engineers in your neighbourhood view themselves? As coolies, or as civil servants?

You don't get the point.

It doesn't matter how they would even view it in their own culture. What matters is how what we have them do is something that we would prefer not to do. You can be as PC as you want, but how much would we have to pay for Canadian civilian contractors to go over to Iraq and empty garbage, sanitary unites, etc. There is a reason why people refer to it as menial labour.

We pay our sanitation engineers quite a bit of money to combat the very stigma associated with their job. I KNOW people who are "garbagemen", and they are not entirely prooud of what they do, but they sure are happy about their paycheques.

Back