• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

2013: B.C. Bomb plot foiled on Canada Day

I agree with Kat - give them Hans Island, that way we can keep the Danes off...besides there is a very nice National Park on Ellesmere that should be kept that way.  :2c:

MM

Apologies for the completely different direction this comment may take things, but there is a slightly more personal aspect of this situation for my husband and I, since we're from the community where the Korodys reside and where they have become well-known and successful. My husband was, for several years, a patient of Mr. Korody's, lived right down the street, the kids shared elementary schools and the two families have spent personal time together, including Amanda.

I don't think I can even imagine the full range of emotions the family (families) is trying to deal with at this time. This is certainly not the type of attention anyone wishes to encounter.  (I know of at least one instance where photographers had to be chased away from Mr. Korody's office/home.)

A very sad situation for so many because of the actions of those involved.  And of course, it's almost impossible not to think "Where did it all go wrong?"

The latest (with, at least to me, a creepy artist's rendition)....
The two alleged masterminds of a bomb plot at British Columbia’s legislature will make their next court appearance in a month.

Their defence lawyer and Crown counsel applied for an adjournment in B.C. Supreme Court on Wednesday.

Tom Morino, who represents John Nuttall and now his partner Amanda Korody on an interim basis, says he needs time to go over the Crown’s disclosure material and to sort out funding for legal services.

Nuttall and Korody spoke with each other as they sat in separate boxes during their brief court appearance. Korody blew a kiss to his husband, the Vancouver Sun reported. Nutall caught it and put his hand on his cheek ....
National Post, 10 Jul 13
terror-plot.jpg

Beavis and Butthead.  That's what they remind me of.  At least the profile drawing of Nuttall does.  Guess that's why the artist got into journalism.  Must have been one of those starving artists.

jollyjacktar said:
Beavis and Butthead.  That's what they remind me of.  At least the profile drawing of Nuttall does.  Guess that's why the artist got into journalism.  Must have been one of those starving artists.

I live in Victoria. Those drawing look exactly like most of the street people creeping around the downtown core these days. And some people wonder why I carry bear spray with me on occasion.  ;D

Seriously?
terror-plot.jpg

Why not just use this then?
bomb_zps40444d67.jpg

What they actually look like.
victoria_zps08d450ca.jpg

Nemo888 said:
Seriously?
terror-plot.jpg

Why not just use this then?
bomb_zps40444d67.jpg

What they actually look like.
victoria_zps08d450ca.jpg

Seriously?

Have you ever seen any Courtroom artists rendering of persons in the court being "photo quality reproductions"?

Get real.

By the way, I find those two photos not to be too flattering to begin with, so the artist rendition could be fairly accurate.  Just saying.

Supremes say "entrapment -- off you go, then," then couple re-arrested ...
Crown lawyers are seeking a special 'terrorism peace bond' on a B.C. couple who were convicted of terrorism charges, but freed today by a B.C. Supreme Court judge concerned by police entrapment in the case.

John Nuttall, 41, and Amanda Korody, 32, were released Friday morning, after a B.C. Supreme Court judge entered a stay of proceedings in their terror plot case.

The Victoria pair headed out with family to celebrate their freedom and have lunch at an outdoor café in East Vancouver.

"It was such a relief for them to get out. It was so relaxing," said Nuttall's mother, Maureen Smith, who joined them.

After lunch, Smith said they had driven just three blocks when Vancouver police cruisers boxed them in, ordered the group out of the car, and handcuffed Nuttall and Korody ...
Attached find the "just out" picture ...

Attachments

• s4.reutersmedia.net.jpg
    s4.reutersmedia.net.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 175
dapaterson said:
Yes.  You'd think after burning barns the RCMP would have learned their lesson.

Hey, the police were just being good Samaritans, helping out the less fortunate.  :nod:
"The judge also said the couple did not have the mental capacity to have planned and carried out the bomb plot themselves."

I think the crown prosecutor on this file effectively just sealed his fate & lost his job.  Like anything else in the legal system, it will take time for the matter to proceed, but in the end, I believe this crown prosecutor pretty much just signed his own dismissal.

I'm not sure who is dumb & dumber in this case, the accused persons or the crown/police.  (And I say that as a very pro-law enforcement person.)

I don't know - happy to hear from legal experts, but I suspect there may be quite different standards for getting a peace bond than there are for getting a Criminal Code conviction.

And they DO have a track record of being able to be convinced to to bad things, so that potentially puts more evidence into play than other peace bonds where folks were scooped up for what they MIGHT do.

Back