• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

17-year-old dies in fiery Petawawa crash

vonGarvin

Army.ca Legend
Subscriber
Reaction score
From here
A Petawawa teen died instantly when her car was struck from behind and burst into flames.

OPP say 17-year-old Emily Watts was stopped to make a turn on Laurentian Drive in the Ottawa Valley town at about 10:15 last night when her vehicle was rear-ended.

Her 2003 Honda caught fire. She died before firefighters could pull her from the wreckage.

The 28-year-old female driver of the other car was arrested at the scene.

She's behind bars this morning awaiting charges.
Petawawa being almost exclusively a military town, I thought that this story deserved to be here. 

Wow... that is sad

Taken so young. May she rest in peace.  :(

Does it say whether the 28yr old was impared, or driving recklace or speeding? Just thinking what kind of impact would send the car into flames.

RIP Emily Watts.... you were way to young.

I witnessed an accident in Manitoba on Oct 12, 2007 where two people burned to death.
The gas tank ruptured and the vehicle caught on fire, and there was no way to get the two victims out. My WO and Sgt who were with me attempted to but could not due to the flames.

I beleive there is technology that prevents this from happening. Why it is not in all vehicles is beyond me.

Actually cars today are MUCH safer than those of even ten years ago. I can remember seeing a video of a midsize Volvo (S50 I think) that had been hit head-on by a semi... all that remained was a pile of wreckage after FD personnel had cut the driver out. He suffered a broken leg and cuts and bruises!

Still wouldn't want to experience it myself.

tango22a

tango22a said:
Actually cars today are MUCH safer than those of even ten years ago. I

I read that fatalities are at their lowest level ever recorded, and still dropping:
http://www.canadiandriver.com/2009/07/02/us-traffic-fatalities-fall-to-record-low.htm

Jingo said:
Wow... that is sad

Taken so young. May she rest in peace.  :(

Does it say whether the 28yr old was impared, or driving recklace or speeding? Just thinking what kind of impact would send the car into flames.

If you click on the link you'll get the story dude  ;)

I'm wondering if this was at the bottom of that steep hill above the intersection of Laurentian Dr and Victoria St or up top along the Laurentian Dr from the PMQs towards Civic Center Rd or Gutzman Rd?

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Petawawa.+Laurentian+Dr+at+Petawawa+Blvd&sll=45.873412,-77.238307&sspn=0.011309,0.01929&ie=UTF8&ll=45.872083,-77.239122&spn=0.022619,0.038581&z=15

In front of home:
http://www.canada.com/news/Teen+dies+fiery+crash+front+home/1985457/story.html

My sympathy goes to the young woman's family.

Thanks mariomike for that link and the one in your PM with the news article.  http://www.educationforthedrivingmasses.com/2009/09/petawawa-teen-dead-in-fiery-crash.html

I know that intersection quite well.  That is a T-Junction with a STOP sign, in a 60 km zone, perhaps a 50 km zone.  For the Ford SUV to rearend her and continue on across Petawawa Blvd stopping "across the railway tracks" would mean quite a bit of speed was involved.  It will be interesting to hear what the investigation turns up, as well as how this Court Case proceeds. 

Gentlemen:

From reading the article in MM's post it appears that did not only the SUV driver ruin the young girl's future but also her own. If by chance she is a service member her career is totally shot. I'm NOT trying to pre-convict her, but by reading the article quoted in MM's post, it seems to me pretty cut and dried what occurred.

Seems to bring to mind "if ya wanna play.....you're gonna pay!"

My deepest condolences to the victim's family and friends.

tango22a

I'm not trying to come on as a harda$$, but I've lost too many friends who either killed themselves and sometimes others driving impaired (and not just alcohol either!!) or were killed by some other dips**t driving impaired.

Some of the older car doors had a serious jamming problem. The steering columns did not collapse either. The Ford Pinto - whether deserved or not - had a horrible nick name.

As a rule Honda builds safe, reliable, well engineered vehicles. For the gas tank to be punctured indicates to me that the SUV had to be travelling at a high rate of knots to cause the damage done to the Honda.

I guess it proves the old adage...."when the wine is in the wit is out!"

I'm personally death on impaired drivers and have NO sympathy whatsoever towards them.

IT'S ALWAYS LESS EXPENSIVE TO TAKE A CAB OR HAVE A DESIGNATED DRIVER......dimwits!!!

As a parent I cannot even begin to imagine the pain her parents and family are in after witnessing such a travesty. My heart and condolences goes out to her family.. no parent should ever have to out-live their child

Always sad losing a loved one, but somehow not the expected course of events having the parents mourn the loss of their kids - condolences to all concerned.

Sep 12, 2009
THE CANADIAN PRESS
- Various online news sources

PEMBROKE, Ont. – A 28-year-old Petawawa woman faces impaired driving charges in connection with a deadly crash in Petawawa.

Thursday night 's fiery collision claimed the life of an Ottawa Valley teen.

Police arrested Patricia Boyce shortly after the collision and she remains in custody pending a bail hearing Monday in Pembroke court.

Seventeen-year-old Emily Watts, also of Petawawa, died when the car she was driving burst into flames after being struck from behind by an SUV.

Charges include impaired driving causing death, driving with a blood-alcohol content exceeding 80 milligrams causing death, dangerous driving causing death and criminal negligence causing death.

http://www.thedailyobserver.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=1750418

"A beautiful girl"
Posted By SEAN CHASE
Updated 7 hours ago

A compassionate, outgoing girl, Emily Watts would rarely be seen without a smile on her glowing face.

Family and friends were remembering the bright 17-year-old as a popular leader in her school with a personality that could light up a room.

"She was a beautiful girl, bubbly and full of life," her father, Andrew Watts, recounted as the family gathered at their Laurentian Drive home to reflect on a life cut too short. "We were so proud of her."

On Thursday night at around 10:15 p. m.,Ms. Watts was driving eastbound in a 2003 Honda when she stopped on Laurentian Drive to make a turn. A Ford Escape SUV was also proceeding eastbound when it collided with the Honda, which was engulfed in flames. Ms. Watts, the only occupant in the car, was pronounced dead at the scene.

The SUV avelling, crossing the intersection at Petawawa Boulevard and jumping a set of railroad tracks before coming to a stop. Patricia Boyce, 28, of Petawawa, was arrested at the scene and has been charged.

Reeling from the tragedy that unfolded in front of their home the night before, Mr. Watts said he believes his daughter felt no pain at the time of the collision.

"I truly believe God put his arms around her," he said. "She's in heaven."

Ms. Watts was described by her mother, Joanne, as a sensible and respectful daughter who would have never rebelled against authority.

"She was always happy and very responsible," she said.

Ms. Watts had lived in Petawawa since her parents moved there six months after she was born at the Pembroke General Hospital. She attended Pine View Public School and found hobbies in dancing, horseback riding and yoga. The family attended Calvary Baptist Church where Ms. Watts volunteered in the nursery.

Students and teachers at General Panet High School were in shock Friday morning as the tragic news spread throughout the community. Principal Dean Zadow said Ms. Watts was connected to the school in every way.

She played a key role in the LINK crew which mentors incoming Grade 9 students. The high school senior enjoyed working in hospitality and cooking. Her post-secondary ambition was to enter the business program at Algonquin College. Just this week, she began volunteering her time as an assistant to one of the school's teachers.

""It would be difficult to find anyone who had anything bad to say about her," said Mr. Zadow. "She was always giving and helping."

The school has been devastated by the sudden loss, Mr. Zadow said. Grief counsellors have been brought in to assist students and faculty.

Renfrew County superintendent of education Deborah Rantz, a former General Panet principal, had taught Ms. Watts. She described her as an outstanding academic student with a great strength of character.

"She was a shining light," said Ms. Rantz. "She was just a sweetheart. Everyone cared for Emily."

Ms. Watts worked as a cashier for many years at Moncion Grocers Petawawa Market. With her friendly approach, she became well-known to many customers over that period, recalled department manager Brenda Roberts.

"Emily was a wonderful, wonderful girl," said Ms. Roberts, noting her employee was always diligent and showed up to work on time.

Ms. Watts loved her job and interacted extremely well with all her co-workers, Ms. Roberts added.

"We're all very saddened," she said extending the grocers' condolences to the Watts family. "She's definitely going to be missed."

In recent years, Ms. Watts took up dancing with the Stars and Motion Dance Studio. Kari Carter was her teacher until a year ago when she moved away.

"She was the biggest sweetheart," Ms. Carter said from Borden, Ontario. "There was not a bad bone in this girl."

Ms. Watts danced at competitions and most recently became a tutor.

"I've never seen anyone make mistakes in rehearsal and then get up on that stage and shine and just come alive," she added. "She just glowed, she was so amazing."

Police have remanded Ms. Boyce into custody at the Pembroke Regional Hospital. She has been charged with impaired driving causing death, driving over 80 milligrams causing death, dangerous driving causing death and criminal negligence causing death. Her bail hearing is set for Monday in Pembroke.

Funeral arrangements for Ms. Watts are pending. General Panet will be providing transportation for students to attend the funeral. In addition, the public school board will be making accommodations so her teachers can also attend the service.

Emily Watts is survived by her parents, Andrew and Joanne, her younger sister, Melanie, her aunt and uncle, Lianne and Gary Marchand, cousins Jeremiah and Cassie White, uncle Clarence Barink and grandfather Gerry Barink.

Sean Chase is a Daily Observer reporter

http://www.thedailyobserver.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=2284912

Patricia Boyce remains in custody
Posted By SEAN CHASE
30 January 2010
A woman charged in connection with a fatal crash that claimed the life of a Petawawa teenager is set to appear at a preliminary hearing in April.

Patricia Boyce, 28, of CFB Petawawa, appeared in Pembroke criminal court Friday where the case was adjourned until April 6.

Ms. Boyce's defense counsel, Edwin Boeve, of the Oshawa based firm Aitken Robertson, is electing to have her case tried in superior court by a judge only.

April 26 and April 27 have been set aside for a preliminary hearing into the case before Justice Robert Selkirk.

Ms. Boyce remains in custody.

Last September, 17-year-old Emily Watts died after the car she was driving was involved in a collision with a Ford Escape SUV on Laurentian Drive in Petawawa.

Ms. Boyce was arrested and charged following an investigation by the Upper Ottawa Valley detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police.

Ms. Boyce is charged with impaired driving causing death, driving with a blood-alcohol level over .08 causing death, dangerous driving causing death and criminal negligence causing death.

Update:
http://www.thedailyobserver.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=2555980

Back