• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

117th Eastern Townships Overseas Battalion CEF

• Thread starter Thread starter ex royal now flyer
  • Start date Start date
E

ex royal now flyer

Hello,

I am currently preparing a history of the above subject.  The 117th BN was established in Nov 1915 and recruited soldiers from the Eastern Townships of Quebec (Sherbrooke, Richmond, Danville, etc...) and was disbanded in 1916.  The soldiers were absorbed into 5 CMR, 24th BN, 14th BN, among others. 

The regimental numbers for this unit were 748001 to 749325.  The scope of my project is to create a database and research each soldier who attested with the 117th BN.  Eventually this information will be available on a website (sometime within 2005) for any researcher to access.  I will also present the Eastern Townships Research Center (ERTC) at Bishops University a hard copy of all information.  This is a full time endeavour, unfortunately, I can only work on it part time and thus lengthy delays.

If you have any information regarding any soldier who attested with the 117th - photos, documents, diaries, medals (I am interested in the location of the medals and am not specifically looking to purchase them), or any other memorabilia I would be interested in hearing from you.  Full bibliographical credits given to anyone who submits information.

I thank you in advance for any information provided and look forward to hearing from you.

The National Archives has a microfilm reel with every man who was attestated against a regimental number. I will get the call number for you.

Make sure you look at the local newspapers. Most of these are on microfilm.

:salute:

The attestation papers can be accessed on-line through the National Archives at the following link:

http://www.collectionscanada.ca/02/02010602_e.html

By entering the regimental number, you should be able to obtain scans of the documents for most of the battalion members. Cheers,

Walt

Thanks for the above info,

I should have added that I have already accessed the online attestation papers and have that info on all the soldiers who attested with the 117th.  I have also consulted the online war diaries.  I am trying to focus my search on more personal information from relatives of these men. 

Thanks

Back