• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Youth called to serve

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Dinosaur
Reaction score
OK, I know that poor old Justin is a bit soft in the head, but does anyone know if this means that "Sibling of SYEP" could be back on the table?

Youth called to serve

Justin Trudeau's proposal has fans across the spectrum

Justin Trudeau gave a speech in Toronto this week at 8 o'clock in the morning, in a basement conference room of a downtown hotel, in front of 45 businesspeople strewn between a dozen half-empty tables. Neither the dim setting nor early hour were uplifting, but the rookie politician, with his gift of earnestness, did his best to inspire the crowd.

"If any young person wants to serve their country -- typically between high school and university for a year -- they should be given the opportunity to do so," Mr. Trudeau said, promoting his plan to create a nationwide battalion of teenage volunteers.

He envisioned a renewed national commitment to volunteer service, "where we have young people discovering their capacity to make changes in the world, while we have communities receiving this influx of powerful, energetic, committed volunteers wanting to make a difference."

Among the legacies of Mr. Trudeau's famous father, Pierre, is Katimavik, a federally funded youth service organization that was founded on his watch. It died, temporarily, amid the cost-cutting of the 1980s recession, but in this latest economic downturn, something of its spirit is being reborn.

Justin Trudeau last month tabled a private member's motion in Parliament that would lay the foundation for a national volunteer service policy for young people. The proposal has garnered some praise from Conservatives and the NDP alongside Mr. Trudeau's own Liberal party, suggesting it is more than an airy-fairy notion put forward by the idealistic son of a former prime minister.

Barack Obama, the U. S. President, has also launched a crusade to reignite his own country's commitment to national service.

And citizens are heeding the call. This is not just a bunch of politicians offering variations on John F. Kennedy's "Ask not what your country can do for you ..." axiom. A survey recently released by Katimavik found 89% of respondents now felt Canadians have a responsibility to contribute to the betterment of their communities and the country. More than 8,500 public service events took place across the United States on Martin Luther King Day this year, up from 5,000 in 2008. And applications to AmeriCorps, a U. S. national volunteer service that functions as a domestic Peace Corps, tripled over the past year.
Organizers within the volunteer sector cite a confluence of political and economic factors for the interest in their work, starting with Mr. Obama's advocacy. Days before his inauguration, Mr. Obama called upon Americans to make "a renewed commitment to serving their community and their country." The effect was dramatic, according to Siobhan Dugan, a press officer with the Corporation for National and Community Service, the federal agency that oversees the AmeriCorps. "When he talked about service, there was a huge jump in AmeriCorps applications, right away," she said.

Mr. Obama has made serving one's country seem both hip and once again noble. Actor Kal Penn left his role on House, the hit television show, this week to take a position within Mr. Obama's administration. Admittedly, Mr. Penn will not be volunteering, but his switch from Hollywood actor to mid-level bureaucrat seems to be motivated by a commitment to public service. "There's not a lot of financial reward in these jobs," he told Entertainment Weekly. "But, obviously, the opportunity to serve in a capacity like this is an incredible honour."

http://www.nationalpost.com/news/canada/story.html?id=1486195

Can anyone clarify this for me?  A battalion just for teenaged volunteers?  Why?

Disaster Relief?  ;D

It might also make a good starting point for those who think they would like to be in the military, but are unsure. Some would surely catch the "bug" and want to continue on in the regular force.

ARMY_101 said:
Can anyone clarify this for me?  A battalion just for teenaged volunteers?  Why?

Maybe my eyes are failing me but I saw no mention of the military in the article.  It seems more geared towards community services.

The "commitment to national service" and serving their country for a year between high school and university is what jumped out as this being military-oriented.  Perhaps that's not his intention?

Katimavik did far more good than it did harm. It allows youth to base future decisions more on fact than on fancy....

The other alternative would be a two year conscription into the military that essentially provided the same experience.....which do you think would work?  ::)

There is no "military option."

In the original Private Member's Bill (see Hansard, 25 Feb 2009, <ctl-F> to Youth Voluntary Service) the only remote linkage to the military is reference to a military reserve-style model, in which "civic service would engage young people for a weekend a month during the summer over a number of years."

This is opposed to the gap year model where "typically between the end of high school and the beginning of post-secondary education or one's career, young people take time to travel and work in various communities."

The Bill is to "look at options." It sounds like it's a first step at getting more funding into, and/or expanding, Katimavik (since Private Member's Bills cannot authorize the spending of funds). Trudeau spent several years as Chairman of Katimavik's Board of Directors, so it's his "baby" and this is probably his route to keeping it on life-support; ie - if the "options" recommend funding youth volunteers, it's too easy for him to say, "why re-invent the wheel, just pour more money into an already existing bureaucracy."

Of course, there's no pleasing some people. ;D Even before the motion was tabled,
Bloc quick to scorn Justin Trudeau’s youth plan
Mike De Souza, Canwest News Service
Published: Wednesday, February 25, 2009
OTTAWA - They hadn't heard any details, but Bloc Quebecois MPs didn't any waste time Wednesday before accusing rookie Liberal MP Justin Trudeau of following in his father's footsteps and selling out Quebec as he made his first major speech in the House of Commons.

Hours before his speech, Bloc youth critic Nicolas Dufour described the proposal as one worthy of Trudeau's father, former prime minister Pierre Trudeau, because it infringes on such areas of Quebec's jurisdiction as education and skills training.

He also expressed the concern that Trudeau's proposal could wind up becoming "federalist propaganda."
© Canwest News Service 2009
Full article at link

I like the direction he's heading with this. Our recent voter turnouts are an indication of how much interest today's youth has in our country. Perhaps if they were shown what a difference they can make, they would willingly partake in more community (local and national) events.

Also of note, Kal Penn, of Harold and Kumar fame is entering politics? Wow.

VIChris said:
Also of note, Kal Penn, of Harold and Kumar fame is entering politics? Wow.

I had the same reaction when I found that out too. I was kinda shocked when I had learned why he asked for his character on House to be killed off.. but then again if Arnold and Jesse Ventura can make it in the world of politics then I am sure he can to.

Words are cheap, and while it sounds lovely there's already countless volunteer opportunities available that people aren't taking advantage of.

Perhaps the best bet is to simply open central "depots" were people requiring volunteers post their requirements, and people seeking volunteer posistions look for posistions? Kids today want to be spoon fed, seems a relatively easy way to feed volunteer posistions into their mouths.

As a previous Katimavik participant, I definitely think that more young people in Canada need to start engaging themselves, and being engaged, by domestic or international civil work.

Katimavik taught me innumerable skills (how to speak French, leadership, tenacity, compromise, etc) and most definitely laid the way for me to be the person I am today.

Since being involved in the program I have performed volunteer work in 3 different countries over the course of 9 months and have managed to work with HIV/AIDS and sex education programs here in Canada. As well, it allowed me to make contacts in the community with whom I work with now to engage youth in ways that they can make a difference at home and abroad.

Katimavik actually led me to joining the PRes as well. For many of us, it seemed a natural stepping stone to giving back to our country. In my graduating "cluster" (3 group area) of 20ish people, one has gone on to join as a Reg Force Sig Op, one is now a CIC Naval Officer and I am an Ocdt with the PRes Infantry.

So yeah, I believe more programs, or at least more attention to these programs are a great step forward.

Back