• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Would I have a chance?

BMarc

Inactive
Reaction score
I want more than anything to be in Canada's Army. I would actually be pleased to serve in any occupation. But I've been snooping around and from what I've read, the CF can be/and are picky when it comes to recruits. For some reason I feel I might not be able to make the cut, application wise. If you anyone knows what would increase my chances, much obliged.

Im 17 Born in Canada, going to apply at 18 or 19 yrs old. My highschool transcript is a mess. Many dropped classes, and alot of failed classes in Grade.9 and Grade10. However by Grade 11 and 12 it smooths out to more consistent marks (Nothing over 80). I've had a part time job for 1+yr, and experience in renovation and working with my hands. Ive taken courses in Automotive and worked at a Toronto Fleet Service for credits. No volunteer yet but I plan on doing more or less 50-60 hours before applying. Ive never been big on sports and school groups so I have nothing to say about that. What can I add to better my chances (asidefrom joining teams, simply because you cant jump in a sport for senior years and play against guys who've been playing since they were 10) Any response is appreciated. 
The occupations I want to apply for would be Combat Engineer, Vehicle Technician, and Boatswain.

BMarc said:
(asidefrom joining teams, simply because you cant jump in a sport for senior years and play against guys who've been playing since they were 10)

Why not? I played football for the first time in Grade 12. Not only did I get to play, but I started in every game. Took a lot of hard work to get there however.

Anyway, it sounds like you've answered your own question WRT how to improve your application. Why don't you just apply and see what happens?

BMarc said:
I want more than anything to be in Canada's Army. I would actually be pleased to serve in any occupation. But I've been snooping around and from what I've read, the CF can be/and are picky when it comes to recruits. For some reason I feel I might not be able to make the cut, application wise. If you anyone knows what would increase my chances, much obliged.

Im 17 Born in Canada, going to apply at 18 or 19 yrs old. My highschool transcript is a mess. Many dropped classes, and alot of failed classes in Grade.9 and Grade10. However by Grade 11 and 12 it smooths out to more consistent marks (Nothing over 80). I've had a part time job for 1+yr, and experience in renovation and working with my hands. Ive taken courses in Automotive and worked at a Toronto Fleet Service for credits. No volunteer yet but I plan on doing more or less 50-60 hours before applying. Ive never been big on sports and school groups so I have nothing to say about that. What can I add to better my chances (asidefrom joining teams, simply because you cant jump in a sport for senior years and play against guys who've been playing since they were 10) Any response is appreciated. 
The occupations I want to apply for would be Combat Engineer, Vehicle Technician, and Boatswain.

Definitely apply, don't underestimate yourself.
People with much worse credentials have applied.

As for sports, start running, doing push ups and sit ups. Ride your bike and or roller blade. Those count as sports. Most certainly look into volunteering, as I understand that is a huge plus on your application. So apply, and while you wait for it to process and go through every step, keep doing said sports, working and volunteering.

You've got nothing to lose and much to gain, go for it.

There are thousands of CF members who have never done any more sports than gym class.  Don't worry about it.  The main reason they emphasize sports at the recruiting centre is that they are an example of teamwork and leadership, but there are others (e.g. Scouting, Boys & Girls Club, Cadets, cadets, church groups, a multitude of volunteer organizations, etc).

The other important thing that comes from sports is physical fitness, but again, you don't need to be involved in organized sport for that.  Just don't waddle into a recruiting centre with Dorito stained fingers claiming to be Wii Fit god and Call of Duty hero, expecting them to drop to their knees in thanks that you have decided to offer the CF your services.

In short, get involved - do something and get fit.  By the way, it doesn't matter how you get fit, be it an intense program of cardio and weightlifting, or carrying tools and materials around a job site.

Back