• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Women In the Infantry

RyaeC

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I personally have a couple questions, that I want to get out before I go for my interview this coming week.  :)

To begin, I will just give you a bit of background. I have always wanted to be in the Army, It has basically been a calling for me. I live for, and love a challenge, I cant bear a job where I am stuck behind a desk, doing the same thing day in and day out. I want to learn new things, experience new people, places, and challenges.

I have also, always been interested in having an occupation that keeps me on my toes, challenges me everyday, and is not boring. One that is in fact, a team effort, and physical.

I believe I am moderately fit (could be better), I am 20 years old, and yes, I am a woman. I feel that though, you do not see or hear much about woman in the infantry, and I CAN wrap my head around the fact that , yes, not many woman would pick this particular occupation.

My question is:
                    For any woman who are currently or who have been in the infantry. Can you share you experiences. and give me and helpful tips and advice?
                    Also, for infantry soldiers or officers as a whole, male or female. You all can answer this.

Thanks for your time, and comments.  :cdn:

RyaeC said:
                    My question is:
                    For any woman who are currently or who have been in the infantry. Can you share you experiences. and give me and helpful tips and advice?
                    Also, for infantry soldiers or officers as a whole, male or female. You all can answer this.

Topic: "Gender & the CF; Women in Combat Arms, Infantry, Special Forces & Battle":
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/27742.0/nowap.html?PHPSESSID=ei71smum5g15lp6t8s28v95282
( 40 pages )

Lots more:
http://www.google.com/cse?cx=001303416948774225061%3Aqhcx9pz3dku&ie=UTF-8&q=women+combat&sa=Search&siteurl=www.google.com%2Fcse%2Fhome%3Fcx%3D001303416948774225061%3Aqhcx9pz3dku&ref=#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=women%20combat

RyaeC said:
I want to ... experience new people

Well, ummmm...

Plenty of Fish?

Seriously, there's boredom to be found in the Infantry, and even in the Pilot profession, but also tremendous rewards.

You won't really know until you've done it for a while.

Loachman said:
Well, ummmm...

Plenty of Fish?

Seriously, there's boredom to be found in the Infantry, and even in the Pilot profession, but also tremendous rewards.

You won't really know until you've done it for a while.

When I say 'experience new people' I mean meet new people, make new friends, etc.

I think a lot of the reason I do want to be in the Infantry is because of the challenge and hard work, but then the "tremendous rewards" (as you put it) afterwards.

I also, want to take aprt in a lot of humanitarian work, if I do get into the the infantry.

I also, want to take aprt in a lot of humanitarian work, if I do get into the the infantry.

You don't get to pick the work you do. That and the role of the infantry is not to "be humanitarian to the enemy".

CDN Aviator said:

You don't get to pick the work you do. That and the role of the infantry is not to "be humanitarian to the enemy".

It's not?

You mean it wasn't changed to "Close with and deliver warm fuzzy hugs and stuffed teddies." 8)

Danjanou said:
It's not?

You mean it wasn't changed to "Close with and deliver warm fuzzy hugs and stuffed teddies." 8)

shhh.....don't tell them...

as for stuffed teddies.....yum, yum.....

RyaeC said:
When I say 'experience new people' I mean meet new people, make new friends, etc.

Yes, we know, but if you give us the slightest opportunity to exploit your wording, expect at least one of us to do so.

Add "occasionally kill them" to the list as well.

The role of the Infantry is "to close with and destroy the enemy". Everything else is fluff.

CDN Aviator said:

HAHA, of course I understand that.  :facepalm:  But looking into the occupation more thoroughly I found that, that have built/donated wells, helped train police forces in haiti, given clothing/toys to adults/families/children, built homes, clearing mines etc.

Those functions are secondary to security

GAP said:
Those functions are secondary to security

Very true. Those functions are one of the many reasons as to why I would like this career.  :warstory:

RyaeC said:
Very true. Those functions are one of the many reasons as to why I would like this career.  :warstory:

I know plenty of dudes in the infantry who have never done one of those humanitarian things.  Not to say it doesn't happen,  but don't expect that you would be doing that kind of stuff.  As well,  if those types of things are happening,  the Infantry could just be handaling the security and not the actual work of building wells, land mine clearing, etc which sounds more like Engineer tasks IMO.

-Skeletor- said:
You don't seem able to grasp that the Infantry's job is to close with and destroy,  handing out toys and clothing is not part of Battle School or a Battalion field excercise.  If you want to do the humanitarian thing as a primary job,  look else where.

Let me rephrase everything so that you all understand. You all have seemed to take one sentence that said, and assumed that was my only reasoning for joining the military. The humanitarian thing is NOT what I want to do as a PRIMARY job.

Its is simply something that sparked interest to me as well as other things such as:

-mastering high-tech weapons and vehicles [ LAV iii's C-7's etc], patrolling, special-ops, gunning.

-Physical, challenging, team-effort, as well as leadership, LOTS TO LEARN.

When I had said I wanted to 'take part in the humanitarian stuff', my wording might have been off. I basically meant, it would be an experience to do that, and I find that interesting?

Does that make better sense.

RyaeC said:
Its is simply something that sparked interest to me as well as other things such as:

, special-ops, 

Unless you get into CANSOFCOM,  you won't do anything related to "special ops" as a Infantry Soldier in a Battalion.

RyaeC,

We are just trying to make sure that you are under no illusion about what the primary role of the Infantry is.

You will also find that soldiers are blunt.

SeaKingTacco said:
RyaeC,

We are just trying to make sure that you are under no illusion about what the primary role of the Infantry is.

You will also find that soldiers are blunt.

I understand that. I appreciate all the feedback. It only helps me futher, better my knowledge of my chosen career. I am glad that that particular illusion, has been clarified.

Now I just wonder why it is even presented on the recruting website  ???

-Skeletor- said:
Unless you get into CANSOFCOM,  you won't do anything related to "special ops" as a Infantry Soldier in a Battalion.

I know its far off, but you never know, anything can happen. Maybe far in the future perhaps?

RyaeC said:
Now I just wonder why it is even presented on the recruting website  ???

I don't see any mention of it on the website
http://www.forces.ca/en/job/infantrysoldier-4#info-1

RyaeC said:
I know its far off, but you never know, anything can happen. Maybe far in the future perhaps?

You aren't even in yet,  I would focus more on the getting in part then BMQ, etc then the anything can happen,  maybe in the future.  Get in, get trained,  learn the job get experience and then consider other options if you are still even interested in that route.

-Skeletor- said:
I don't see any mention of it on the website
http://www.forces.ca/en/job/infantrysoldier-4#info-1

Its is mentioned briefly in the video.

4:49.

Back