• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Why do they code everytihng with the letter "c"??

• Thread starter Thread starter matt22
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

matt22

OK, question. I was setting up a trip flare the other night on an enemy force ex, and i noticed that it was called a C4 trip flare. Dont we have explosives called c4? oh yeah and a gas mask called a c-4 gas mask?
WHY DO THEY DO THIS!?!?!?!

C for Canadian?

And yes, there are a variety of things with the same letter number combination. So? If you want a gas mask, you ask for a gas mask. You don't say "Can I have a C-4?".

Just a wild guess ::), but in most cases, it probably stands for Canadian.

C stands for Canada, duh.

The US gave everything an "M" number (presumably M means "Model") throughout the 20th century.  M-1 helmet, M-1 tank, M-1 rifle, etc.  The nomenclature is to distinguish successive models or types, shorter to write

M4A4 Medium tank

than

General Sherman tank , Horizontal Volute Spring Suspension, Diesel powered, 75mm main armament

We simply replaced the M for C to distinguish Canadian from American stuff.  Happened IIRC in the late 1950s.

recceguy said:
Michael,

Wouldn't the "M" stand for Mark?

No.  that is a British designation.

It usually refers to either a model name, or a Number of a Model.

Ie Helmet, steel, Mark III or Short Magazine, Lee Enfield, Number 1 Mark III

Most books on US equipment use "M" and "Model" interchangably so in US service it means "Model" - ie Colt Model 1911A1.

Does bring to mind, however, the cartoon of two cavemen.  One of my humanities professors related this one day in class (and was totally off topic, too - I still don't know why he brought it up.  He had been in the Sherwood Foresters, I found out).

Caveman One, talking to Caveman Two who has a club with a metal spike through it.

"Ah, I see you have the Mark II."

wow, i would have never guessed that the letter c could ever stand for canada or canadian. you guys are damn hilarious. seriously if you have nothing better to do than critisize people who ask honest questions go back to cadets.

oakley said:
wow, i would have never guessed that the letter c could ever stand for canada or canadian. you guys are damn hilarious. seriously if you have nothing better to do than critisize people who ask honest questions go back to cadets.

Better back off there buckwheat. YOU asked the question, all we did was answer it. If that's not what you wanted to know, maybe YOU should ask the cadets how to phrase a question properly, because you can't. I doubt we all misread what you were asking.

oakley said:

What part of my answer didn't you understand?

What are you putting down the cadets?
Seems to me like many of them have made a far better impression in their time ont his forum than you have.
Maybe you should go back to the cadets and have them teach you what they know ;)

hahahah oh god, not another glorified cadet. i am seriously sitting here laughing at how poorly you defend the "greatness" of cadets. they are a waste of time, nothing more than a glorified scout. ****** ****** *****

Modified by Slim for verbal abuse and not following the conduct guidlines.
You don't need to put down another member, or class of members of this site. Next time you'll go on warning!

oakley, in defence of both cadets and the people who responded...

I know a lot of reservists (not sure about regular members) who like cadets as they generally make better recruits. I was a cadet and am still with them as an officer until the end of summer. I have heard many good things come from people about the organization.
Secondly, I've read a few of your posts, and you should show some respect to those who are trying to answer YOUR questions instead of showing the attitude you currently have been.

Just a thought

oakley said:
hahahah oh god, not another glorified cadet. i am seriously sitting here laughing at how poorly you defend the "greatness" of cadets. they are a waste of time, nothing more than a glorified scout. ****** ****** *****
Modified by Slim for verbal abuse and not following the conduct guidlines.
You don't need to put down another member, or class of members of this site. Next time you'll go on warning!

Yeah...Thanks for knocking the cadets...::)  Shows great maturity.  If you failed to notice the fact that all the people who have responded in this thread other than myself are actual members of the CF then Im telling you now.  I do not appreciate the way you have knocked cadets in the least...  and calling the Directing Staff a bunch of cadets is not the way to make a good first impression.

i am seriously sitting here laughing at how poorly you defend the "greatness" of cadets. they are a waste of time, nothing more than a glorified scout. ****** ****** *****

Reserve soldier with one year in huh?

I would have assumed with a year under your belt you would have understood the benefits in molding young cadets into future reservists and full time soldiers. Teaching them and prompting them to better themselves and continue their involvement with the military.
They are the next generation of soldiers after all.

While I have never been in cadets I think you will be surprised at the amount of very well respected and experienced soldiers on this forum who came from the "glorified cub scouts".

You can learn a hell of a lot on this board and make some seriously amazing connections that will help you with your military career. You really should settle down, it'll be hard to reap the benefits of this forum if your banned.

Wow, I am definitly embarassed by this. I just walked in on my roomate typing a message in this forum and I am appalled at what he has written in this discussion topic over the past few days. I hope that I have no offended anyone with what he has said, and I want everyone to know that I do not hold the cadets in any way in a bad standing in my mind, so i am very sorry about this.

Where have we heard this before?

Well, I took down the nice message your "roommate" left for us.  Perhaps you should logout when you're done and time should tell if your "roommate" is the wanker he seems to be or not....

This is a bit of a tangent, but I've noticed that quite a few things in this country are referred to by "C-codes".   In addition to the aforementioned military hardware, we also use C for:

- TV Stations
- Radio Stations
- Civil Aircraft Registration Marks
- Airport Designators

I'm sure there are more, this is just off the top of my head.   I guess you could call this a unique Canadian thing, as I don't know of any other nation using the same letter for so many codes.  

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back