• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Which is the Better Satellite Provider

George Wallace

Army.ca Dinosaur
Inactive
Reaction score
I've had StarChoice (now Shaw) for years and am being pressured to switch to Bell, because (whiny voice) "it is too expensive", "it looses service in a storm".  For $61 a month I have been happy, for the most part.  Not only that I own my receivers.

What are the opinions of the forum as to which is the better Service; Bell or Shaw?

(Forget Cable.  Cable blacks out too often and led me to decide on the switch to satellite in the first place.)

George Wallace said:
I've had StarChoice (now Shaw) for years and am being pressured to switch to Bell, because (whiny voice) "it is too expensive", "it looses service in a storm".  For $61 a month I have been happy, for the most part.  Not only that I own my receivers.

What are the opinions of the forum as to which is the better Service; Bell or Shaw?

(Forget Cable.  Cable blacks out too often and led me to decide on the switch to satellite in the first place.)

I've had Bell for years. Nary a problem in 7 years.

Regards

Can't help you. I'm pulling in 14 digital channels and 2 non, with my rabbit ears,...........for free. ;D

I had Cogeco digital cable in my apartment building, and recently went with Bell when I moved into a PMQ. The signal quality is superb, and I get far more for my money than I ever did with Cogeco digital cable. The only drawback to Bell, is that there is no "video-on-demand" service, but you need to pay for that with dig cable anyways. For $71 bucks a month (I bought the receiver), I get pretty much everything I will ever watch, and for an extra 15 a month I could have the 6 movie network channels and a few others.

recceguy said:
Can't help you. I'm pulling in 14 digital channels and 2 non, with my rabbit ears,...........for free. ;D
Location, location, location.  Must be nice.
I suspect it has more to do with wrapping the rabbit ears with the leftover tinfoil

...from his millinery, uh....hobby

;D

I went satellite to cut out the middleman......ie. the cable network from Rogers/MacLeans/Cogeco/Bell satellite dish.  It failed too often.

Journeyman said:
I suspect it has more to do with wrapping the rabbit ears with the leftover tinfoil

...from his millinery, uh....hobby

;D

I can only wear one hat at a time ;)

I have been with Bell for 10 years and have had only a couple of problems and they have been solved by thier customer service people very quickly.  I can't comment on any other provider as I have not used them.

I've only ever used Bell, but I have been happy with the service for years. We have a package deal $150/month gives us Phone, local with all the features and unlimited Canadian Long Distance, Unlimited DSL, and more Channels then we could watch. Have only had a few problems, all resolved quite efficiently by their customer service and tech departments. I had Cogeco Digital cable previously, and had far more blackouts then I do with the satellite.

Edited: Typo

I'm in Oromocto and went Bell after dropping Rogers (am happy with their cell phone but TV Sucked).  Very happy with Bell and has all the channels my 8YO likes as well.  Only had signal drop once this year and it was very brief.

I have had star choice ( now shaw) for over 10 years, it works well, great  picture. I have had a few outages but those storms were killers.  I do not see much in a bell dish to make me want to change.

I also am very satisfied with Star Choice. The signal has been lost in heavy rain storms, but that would be the case for any provider.

Back