• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Which bases are best?

annemarielyman

Inactive
Reaction score
I was just hoping to get some opinions on what people liked or didn't like on each of that bases. My husband has to make his picks. Not that he's expecting to get any of them. :)

Depends what you like.  Do you like big cities or small towns?  Do you like west coast wet winters or snow covered fields?  Do you have kids and are concerned about getting to a base that is family orientated?  So many questions.  You need to figure out what you need, what you want then decide from the bases that offer what you need, and maybe some of the things you want.

Good luck!

Don't really care about climate, although I do have to say that flat land isn't that appealling.
Low cost of living would be nice, so that we can actually afford to buy a house without dropping $200,000 +.
We have 1 son.
And it would be nice to live close to an airport so that I can find employment. (If not we can forget the house thing.)
Also, do all army bases have armoured units? Just curious?

Thanks.

if hubby wants an armoured unit here are your choices:

Petawawa Ontario, Royal Canadian dragoons
Gagetown New Brunswick, The armoured school
Valcatier Quebec, 12 Regiment blinde du Canada
Edmonton Alberta, Lord Strathcona's Horse (RC)

I was posted to both Petawawa and Edmonton and loved Edmonton

I like Wainwright.It's low drag,quite and low stress.Big city is'nt to far away and you can really get to know your neighbors.The q's are cheap and no PST!

I was just talking to my hubby and he wanted me to ask everyones opinion.

Is it best for him to say that his goal is to be with an aroured division or other heavy equipment but not pick any specific bases. It really doesn't matter too much to us where we go.

FYI - He is going in as a skilled 411 - VEH TECH.

For a moderately small town (pop roughly 5000 or so) I'd have to go with CFB Greenwood, in Nova Scotia. Very nice base, veerrrry nice new gym, nice people and has a good deal for a place it's size. Plus, Halifax is only an hour and a half away.

There is no Provincial Sales Tax in Alberta. Also things are allot cheaper there than in some other places in Canada.

Edmonton is a good city with lots to do and the people are great!

Lousy winter weather though.

Slim

hehe that was a sarcastic joke!
Now it all depends what you like, Wainwright has its advantages and disadvantages. If you are married and have young kids this would be a really good place to live in because it is much safer than a city. Biggest disadvantage is that there is no TIM HORTONS. J/k. If you need to go shopping closest place is Lloydminster and thats one hour away, Edmonton is 2 hours away. I am not saying there's nowhere to shop in town, there are Co-op, Extra foods, radio shack, a lot of restaurants, bowling alley, Saan store, home hardware, and whole buch of other little stores. But theres no mall like you would be used to if you come from a bigger city. Overall I've spent over 3 years here and I like it.
Now if you are a single guy, mid twenties and under, this place would be hell. So only way to find out is to see it for yourself.
later

What about either in this thread or the recruiting FAQ or another thread, we had a +/- of each of the bases?  Just an idea.

meni0n said:
If you're single best place I'd recommend is kingston.

I agree wholeheartedly...

Just don't tell the PC university crowd that you're a serving member of the CF...

Slim

Yea Slim. This summer it seemed to work 50/50. Some of them liked military some of them didn't. Maybe it's because Uni was closed for summer and alot of people went home.  I can tell you it was pretty scary being like 6-7 guys out in front of stages Sat night when all the clubs finished and having 2 very drunk friends starting to pick a fight with Queen's University football team. I don't know how we got out of that one.

You get out of it just like any other bunch of army guys would...

You win!

Slim

Kingston really that bad? I know meaford certainly isnt welcoming.. ::)

I didn't ever think that Meaford was bad that way...I even had a local GF while up there in the summer one year. Never had any problems.

Kingston...You won't get beaten up (usually) but the girls will snub you, depending on how PC they are.

Slim

Meaford would be good because it's closest to Wasaga paintball park I believe.

Back