• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

when does rations/board come off your pay?

bojangles

Inactive
Reaction score
Just wondering when you start having rations and board taken off your cheque if you decide to live in barracks. Does it start coming off during your training or when you get posted?
Also, I heard that the military will arrange for the rest of your belonging to be sent to your posting, does this include vehicles/motorcycles as well? ...and can you bring your own vehicle to BMQ in St Jean?

Bojangles

You will be paying rations and quarters while you are on BMQ. In my experience you can bring your own car to BMQ ( my ex-wife did 2 years ago).

bojangles said:
Can you opt out of rations and simply pay as you go if you prefer?

Bojangles

As a recruit i don't beleive that you can do that.  Even afterwards , some bases do not allow you to de-link rations and quarters.

I guess it's still pretty cheap considering it works out to about $11/day. You can't cook your own food for that price and the best part about rations is that you don't have to do your own dishes.  ;D

Bojangles

That's exactly what I think about it.. I hate so much cooking and making dishes I think I will never get off rations. Plus, as a weird person I am, I always prefer restaurants and such things to food that I cook at home. Even my grandmother can't make something so good that i'd prefer it to the restaurant. Mmmhh.. rations!

Cheers!

NiTz said:
That's exactly what I think about it.. I hate so much cooking and making dishes I think I will never get off rations. Plus, as a weird person I am, I always prefer restaurants and such things to food that I cook at home. Even my grandmother can't make something so good that i'd prefer it to the restaurant. Mmmhh.. rations!
Cheers!

Trust me...you are gonna get tired of eating at the mess......I went on course in Winnipeg for 6 months and i was glad to be able to decide what i was going to eat at meal time.

When I did my mechanics course, I've been in another city for 1year 1/2. As I hate lunches, I bought cards that allowed me to eat at the cafeteria of the school. I ate there everyday, but it was just for dinner and only 5 days a week. I must admit that eating there 3 times a day 7 days a week would not have been this pleasing, as it was not always healthy food there. What are on the menu in the mess? I mean, is there always fries, pizza and this kind of junk food, or do they serve "healthy food" sometimes?

Cheers!

Iwill probably end up paying rations and board because I can't cook and I can eat anything except liver yuck!! So I'm set!! :D

hahaha.. for my part, I have no problem in cooking noodles. spaghettis and eggs, but for other things, better ask my girlfriend!

Cheers!

NiTz said:
hahaha.. for my part, I have no problem in cooking noodles. spaghettis and eggs, but for other things, better ask my girlfriend!

Cheers!
Great plan :D
Do you start paying once you start BMQ?

armyrules said:
Great plan :D
Do you start paying once you start BMQ?

As i have answered a few posts above, the answer is yes ( if you are single) you will pay for both rations and quarters from day 1 of BMQ.

NiTz said:
When I did my mechanics course, I've been in another city for 1year 1/2. As I hate lunches, I bought cards that allowed me to eat at the cafeteria of the school. I ate there everyday, but it was just for dinner and only 5 days a week. I must admit that eating there 3 times a day 7 days a week would not have been this pleasing, as it was not always healthy food there. What are on the menu in the mess? I mean, is there always fries, pizza and this kind of junk food, or do they serve "healthy food" sometimes?

Quality of the food depends on the particular mess, but most messes present a few different options for your main course/side dish, as well as having a salad bar, some also have sandwhich bars at lunchtime.

Just a Sig Op said:
Quality of the food depends on the particular mess, but most messes present a few different options for your main course/side dish, as well as having a salad bar, some also have sandwhich bars at lunchtime.

That's great, so I assume one would have other choices than fried chicken and pizza.. hehe. Sandwich bars must be cool! I can't wait to get there!

Cheers!

Bojangles,

As far as I know the military will still pay to have your furniture and effects moved from home to your first posting.  Although, there is a limit on how much they'll move, esp. if you're single.  I don't know about a car/truck but they did move my motorcycle on the moving truck with the rest of my stuff.  It has to be prepared though with the tank drained/removed and oil drained as well as per moving company rules.

good luck.

Thanks for the info. I already have my bike winterized so I suppose its just best to leave it that way. Minus the WD-40 coatings on it.
What kind of bike do you ride?

Bojangles

Good to know I will be able to transport my bike too.

I have a 67 triumph tiger that doesn't, currently, work because of some faulty wires and what not. I think it's the distributor or CDI... 

me - :rocket: >>> bike.. sometimes...

Cheers

Back