• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

what will the Canadian VC be made of?

FormerHorseGuard

Reaction score
this is a quote from from http://www.victoriacross.net/facts.asp

Weighing 358 ounces and looking somewhat like a lump of cheese, the VC metal is unique among BOD Donnington's 700,000 item headings of Army stores. It is all that remains of the bronze cascabels from two Russian cannon captured at Sebastopol, the last great battle of the Crimean War in 1854-55. The cascabel, a large knob at the rear of the cannon, held ropes which were used when the artillery piece was being man-handled. The two cannon, minus cascabels, stand proudly outside the Officers Mess in Woolwich.

The most recent issue of metal, exactly fifty ounces and sufficient to make twelve medals, occurred on 23 October 1959, to Messrs Hancocks & Co (Jewellers) Ltd, the royal jewellers who have been responsible for individually making each medal since the inception of the VC in 1857. Given that fifty ounces are required to make twelve Victoria Cross medals, the remaining 358 ounces contain enough for a further eighty five.

my question  is what  will the Canadiian VC be made from?  i  am sure the Bristish would not be willing to send any of the remaining cheese as they call it for Canadians or Aussies to use as they are running out. So what  does the Canadian Government plan to make their crosses from? Have they already cast some?  Just curious

It is a moot point.  It will never be awarded by Canada.

Tom

TCBF said:
It is a moot point.  It will never be awarded by Canada.

Tom

Bringing us to the other question, what is your crystal ball made from?  ::)

It's an excellent question; maybe Veteran's Affairs or DHH would be the ones to approach with it.

I sincerely hope we never have to award one.

I'll try to nd the article but any Canadian VC will still made from the Russian Cannons

I think he means when metal from the cannon runs out where will they make the new ones from.

I think they should just use iron from other historical war artifacts, or even just regular iron.

Sure the material used to make a VC makes the medal unique, but what it symbolizes is much more important.

"Bringing us to the other question, what is your crystal ball made from?"

- Little slips of paper.  I write down all of the stupid questions people ask me on little slips of paper and roll them into a ball.  It's getting pretty big.  ::)

"I think they should just use iron from other historical war artifacts, or even just regular iron."

- Then we can call it "The Iron Victoria Cross."

The same people who put forth all of those uniquely Canadian awards thirty years ago are still running things.  They had to suck back and re-instate the VC after some-one woke up the political might of the WW2 crowd.  But that crowd has mostly since died off, and the Libranos and their bureaucratic fellow travellers will ensure there will never again be a VC awarded to a Canadian.

Tom

We'll spend millions of dolars researching something we can make it out of as to not offend anyone and in the end a company from quebec will be awared the rights to produce them.

Back