• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Wearing of "team/roto" patches overseas.

Kokanee

Inactive
Reaction score
I've submitted an memo up my chain to allow members of my unit going over on roto to design and wear a "team/roto" patch on our arid combats overseas. Everyone up to my troop commander loves the idea, however they want "prior art" of this being acceptable before taking it to the CO...

Have purused combat camera and it seems that most of the PRT teams are getting in-country made patches and wearing them, however other than that I can't seem to find any Canadian examples.

If anyone has gone through this process before, or has examples of previous endeavours, It would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I saw no such thing on my tour.  You may be seeing the ISAF patch when you go through Combat Camera.

There were all kinds of patches on Roto 3 in addition to the ISAF one.  I was at the PRT, and we had a patch.  Lets see...The medics had a "starlight" patch, JPCC had a patch, the UAV guys had a patch, the MPs had a patch.  I think the ASIC guys had one too.

CFP 265.  Canadian Forces Dress Instructions.  Might be a place to start.

I was on R3.  Most units, and sub-units had patches made.  However, they were not officially authorized to wear them- although they often did.  I do beleive that only the ISAF, PRT, TCCC, and Starlight patches were authorized. 

Making unit coins was a popular venture.  I know ASIC, C-IED, EOD had coins made.   

I should clarify, I did see a few patches appear unofficially.  These were quickly chased away by the CO who wanted everyone to see themsleves as being of the same team.  (I think his words were to the effect of avoiding tribes)

From a tactical perspective, does it make sense to start making individual soldiers recognizable to the enemy for thier function/capability?

dapaterson said:
CFP 265.  Canadian Forces Dress Instructions.  Might be a place to start.

Thanks, found two applicable sections - doesn't look like there are any roadblocks in there.

This is my own personal opinion. I think the wearing of appropriate 'team', 'roto' or 'morale' patches is a good thing for the soldiers overseas. Our American counterparts have been doing that for quite a while now on their uniforms. An examples that we can adopt is the Team Canada patches, I don't know I just think the use of appropriate morale patches would boost well... morale!

Being on the PRT myself, all we get is the generic PRT patch with the Afghan/Canadian flags pin.  But I did see some sub units around having their own patches made.  Saw this cool one with the Autobots sign.

MedTech said:
This is my own personal opinion. I think the wearing of appropriate 'team', 'roto' or 'morale' patches is a good thing for the soldiers overseas. Our American counterparts have been doing that for quite a while now on their uniforms. An examples that we can adopt is the Team Canada patches, I don't know I just think the use of appropriate morale patches would boost well... morale!

AS the designer and owner of the Team Canada design I say nope bad idea,the only organization with rights to it's use is One Shot Tactical Supply, period full stop, despite this fact it has already been copied without permiion. If anyone is selling/making money from this including CF units (tour T shirts, atches, etc) they are breaking the law.

MG34 said:
AS the designer and owner of the Team Canada design I say nope bad idea,the only organization with rights to it's use is One Shot Tactical Supply, period full stop, despite this fact it has already been copied without permiion. If anyone is selling/making money from this including CF units (tour T shirts, atches, etc) they are breaking the law.

What I mean MG was that they purchase it from OTS and wear it on their uniform. That's all I meant. Like I said it was a personal opinion nothing else. Btw, nice design I like it :D I've got a few.

MCG said:
I should clarify, I did see a few patches appear unofficially.  These were quickly chased away by the CO who wanted everyone to see themsleves as being of the same team.  (I think his words were to the effect of avoiding tribes)

Heh... We (8 Pl, C Coy, 1 RCR) had 8 ball patches with "crazy 8s" stitched on it.  I wasn't there long enough to get mine in theater, but the boys wore them into battle a few times, and they were told to remove them a few times... but they always had them on, officially or not.

I don't see it as a really bad idea, but I can see it getting out of control.  When it gets down to Sections and individuals, it's gone too far.

MG34 said:

How did that happen?  I thought the CF usually grabbed property rights on approved stuff?

Unit patches on tours are common and authorised for Australian Forces. We starting wearing ours on our lead-up trg, and all thru the tour, plus back home after the tour until we were SOS'd from our O/S Unit.

Here was mine, along with the Australian ANF DPDU patch, whcih is worn on the other sleve, both at home and abroad. The ANF patch also comes with a DPCU background also, and is worn all the time.

Here is both my old O/S Unit, and ANF patch in DPDU. Both patches are the same size, adn the 7.62mm drill rd is for scale.

EDIT: I have also attached an unauthorised patch for my Corps of RAEME, this is the sme size also. We were wearing this until the RSM seen it, and it was history (for now).

Cheers,

Wes

"Crazy 8's" is what I seen on the cbc documentary.I've seen section level signs painted on vehicles as well.

Greymatters said:
How did that happen?  I thought the CF usually grabbed property rights on approved stuff?

That makes no sense.  It's his IP developed on his own time and for his own purposes.

Back to the point at hand: good to see some progress is being made.  I've found stuff like that to be espirit de corps and team building.

MG34 said:

really, eh?  I didn't know.....

Incedently I got me one of those hats from OSTS.  Nice hat.

MCG said:
...From a tactical perspective, does it make sense to start making individual soldiers recognizable to the enemy for thier function/capability?

I think the way the guy is kitted out and conducted himself would be more of an indicator than a patch...you know, Tac Vest or chest rig with mags, frags, M203s, drop pouches, good barrel discipline, etc... 

The patches adn name tags come off for when its time to play sterile.

Plus it started a 'trade' war with other Coalition units, so bad we ran out of Australian made patches, and ahd to go local to source them.

Ha!

Cheers,

Wes

Thanks everyone for the thoughts/comments. Especially the Aussie items, very cool.

Back