• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

We are not winning the domestic war

zipperhead_cop

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
Kirkhill said:
Would Mr. Wright say that the loss of Police Officers on duty, mothers murdering babies and insurrection in Caledonia indicate that we are not yet winning the domestic "War on Barbarism" (copyright Edward Campbell 2006) here in Canada?  Bollocks.

As an aside, we are not winning the domestic war.  I would bet a paycheck that we will be more succesful in A'stan than here.  :P

zipperhead_cop said:
As an aside, we are not winning the domestic war.  I would bet a paycheck that we will be more succesful in A'stan than here.   :P

Such a cynic. View from the frontline? 

Not wanting to drag this off topic I'll just say that I see the domestic situation as comparable to a chronic ailment.  Fevers flare from time to time.  Sometimes they "disappear" for a while. More often than not they continue as a low grade fever that is annoying but doesn't prevent "normal" activities.  Keep feeding us the aspirin ZHC.  You have a job for life.

Cheers.

I hope we are being careful to distinguish between:

• Simple lawlessness, criminal lawlessness, like biker gangs – which are a real threat to our national security when they get involved in e.g. seaport operations;

Political lawlessness, like Caledonia – which is a threat to peace, order and good government and may become a major threat to our sovereignty if too many governments cave in too often; and

Ethno-political lawlessness – which might involve funding terrorists (even unwillingly) à la the Tamil community in Toronto, or actively planning and, eventually – as sure as the gods make little green apples, executing terrorist attacks in Canada to further the aims of Canada’s declared enemies.

We need, urgently, a major, aggressive, bloody violent, national police operation to sweep the bikers out of our seaports – without too much regard to who gets killed in the process.  That’s a national security imperative which just gets harder and harder, day after day, because too many politicians, bureaucrats and very senior police officers are too frightened to go at it, and way, way too few citizens care enough.

We need to address deep rooted social problems in all segments of Canadian society – including the social problem which says that it’s OK to break the law if you cannot get what you believe is yours by right by lawful means.

We need to seek, find and neutralize those within our society who are willing to attack Canada and Canadians.  This may involve the use of deadly force – perhaps secret deadly force.  It is NOT police work – such work corrupts police forces.  It is NOT soldiers’ work either – soldiers, too, can be corrupted by such work.  Suffice to say, however, that the defence of the realm, the primary duty of the government-of-the-day, includes defending against internal threats, too, so it needs to be, must be somebody's work.

All valid Edward. I see your points.

The particular issues that you raise though would be akin to acute infections that need immediate remedial and occasionally drastic action.  I was thinking more along the lines of (to use another analogy) that crime, like the poor, will always be with us.

Your appreciation of the biker situation is interesting and perhaps deserving of its own thread for discussion.

Edward Campbell said:
We need to seek, find and neutralize those within our society who are willing to attack Canada and Canadians.  This may involve the use of deadly force – perhaps secret deadly force.  It is NOT police work – such work corrupts police forces.  It is NOT soldiers’ work either – soldiers, too, can be corrupted by such work.  Suffice to say, however, that the defence of the realm, the primary duty of the government-of-the-day, includes defending against internal threats, too, so it needs to be, must be somebody's work.

I'm in.  :threat:

As always, another bang on post from Mr. Campbell.  :salute:

What we really need in this country are increased budgets for police to train and equip more officers dedicated to organized crime investigation
What we really need in this country is more funding to conduct co-ordinated multi-agency (police, customs, taxation, immigration, corrections) organized crime investigations
What we really need in this country are aggressive criminal asset forfeiture laws
What we really need in this country are easier search and seizure laws for drugs
What we really need in this country are politicians that support law and order issues
And, what we really, really , really  need in this country are elected judges that are accountable to the public

It's just that simple !

We aren't going anywhere on this until police corruption is dealt with.  After Zaccardelli screwed the pooch with the Horse Police, would he still have a job in any other country but Canada?  I thought he might have had something on the old regime.  He might have something on the new one as well.  Some sort of "Insurance Policy."

TCBF said:
We aren't going anywhere on this until police corruption is dealt with.  After Zaccardelli screwed the pooch with the Horse Police, would he still have a job in any other country but Canada?  I thought he might have had something on the old regime.  He might have something on the new one as well.  Some sort of "Insurance Policy."

You think he is Hoover's reincarnation?

Edward Campbell said:
We need, urgently, a major, aggressive, bloody violent, national police operation to sweep the bikers out of our seaports – without too much regard to who gets killed in the process.  That’s a national security imperative which just gets harder and harder, day after day, because too many politicians, bureaucrats and very senior police officers are too frightened to go at it, and way, way too few citizens care enough.

You state that this work is necessary and suggest it falls within the realms of the Federal Government, but you go on further to suggest that it should not fall to the Military nor Civilian Police Agencies.

Pray tell what the Government of the day is supposed to use to implement such remedies or actions you suggest.

I imagine it would be interesting to hear who or what your thoughts on this would be.

Cheers.

Mack Bolan?? ;)

I agree wholeheartedly with the sentiment but the problem is who wouldn't that kind of power corrupt?

FastEddy said:

You state that this work is necessary and suggest it falls within the realms of the Federal Government, but you go on further to suggest that it should not fall to the Military nor Civilian Police Agencies.

Pray tell what the Government of the day is supposed to use to implement such remedies or actions you suggest.

I imagine it would be interesting to hear who or what your thoughts on this would be.

Cheers.

Good question, Fast Eddy, and I do not have a specific answer.

Let me deal with principles.

I have said before, here in Army.ca, that I believe the use of deadly force ought to be the exclusive responsibility of the government.  Therefore I believe this function must be performed by someone who answers to a government minister – the person who, at each election, answers to us.

I have already excluded members of the traditional armed services: the military and the police because I believe that this type of task would be inimical to the values of those services.

That only leaves the civil service.

I think nations can, indeed should have secret services which, at the behest of the government-of-the-day, may (important word, ‘may’) undertake tasks which offend our everyday principles of law and order, etc.

Henry L. Stimson – one of the true giants of the 20th century – is unfairly remembered for his rather quaint remark (in 1917) to the effect that “gentlemen don’t read one another’s mail.”  While, arguably, true of gentlemen it is not, must not be true of honourable nation-states.  We do read one another’s mail, we search through one another’s desk drawers, we use bribery to steal information from foreign officials, we play of people’s weaknesses and peccadilloes in order to entice them to betray their country’s secrets.  All good stuff, all part of the business of safeguarding our own country – defending the realm, which must, always, be the first duty of Her Majesty’s government.

Dealing with people, here in Canada, who are a threat to our security may require similar clandestine and, certainly less than gentlemanly measures.

We already hire a very small number of rather exceptional civil servants to read other’s mail and so on; we may need to hire a few more to do other work.

----------

Edit: type

And what would differentiate such a "civil service" from a GESTAPO, STASI, or SECURITAS, beyond the fact that it would operate in a "democratic" Canada? 

Maybe Stimson meant: "Gentlemen don't read other people's mail: they get someone else to do it for them " ;)

Pikepusher said:
And what would differentiate such a "civil service" from a GESTAPO, STASI, or SECURITAS, beyond the fact that it would operate in a "democratic" Canada? 

The same thing that differentiates a chisel in the hands of a carpenter and a chisel in the hands of a murderer.  It is not the tool.  It is the intent.

Kirkhill said:
The same thing that differentiates a chisel in the hands of a carpenter and a chisel in the hands of a murderer.  It is not the tool.  It is the intent.

That is really a profound example. I hope you don't mind if I plagiarize it in the future.

I'm sure we all know what measures would or will have to be done to Cauterize the Criminal and Terrorist Cancers in our Society.

For now we'll just let them grow, then what ?.

Cheers.

The police are doing a good job !, but the s--t head judges are tossing the cases out or a little slap on the hand.
            Look now about the 3 times in jail, your going to say there for 7 more years !
                  the NDP & Libs are crying over that WTF ?

FastEddy said:

That is really a profound example. I hope you don't mind if I plagiarize it in the future.

I'm sure we all know what measures would or will have to be done to Cauterize the Criminal and Terrorist Cancers in our Society.

For now we'll just let them grow, then what ?.

Cheers.

Eddy, feel free - just remember where you got it and toss a coin in the collection box on the way out.  ;D

bilton090 said:
The police are doing a good job !, but the s--t head judges are tossing the cases out or a little slap on the hand.
             Look now about the 3 times in jail, your going to say there for 7 more years !
                   the NDP & Libs are crying over that WTF ?

Yes thats very true. You should also remember, that when they don't seem to, its probally due to the restrictions and directions placed on them by Politicians and the likes.

As for Jail Time or lengthy Sentences, it then all comes down to dollars and cents. And very seldom to the Kind Old Judge giving somebody a break.

Cheers.

FastEddy said:

Yes thats very true. You should also remember, that when they don't seem to, its probally due to the restrictions and directions placed on them by Politicians and the likes.

As for Jail Time or lengthy Sentences, it then all comes down to dollars and cents. And very seldom to the Kind Old Judge giving somebody a break.
Cheers.

???  WTF, and say again, over?

Back