• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

War dead honoured at emotional Bowring Park service

Nfld Sapper

Army.ca Fixture
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
War dead honoured at emotional Bowring Park service
Last Updated: Thursday, July 2, 2009 | 7:17 AM NT
CBC News

nl-bowring-park-20090701.jpg

Several hundred people attended a ceremony on Wednesday at Bowring Park to dedicate three plaques honouring those who died in the First World War. (CBC)

Hundreds of people gathered in a St. John's park on Wednesday to observe the unveiling of three plaques honouring Newfoundlanders who died in Europe during the First World War.

The plaques, which were formally dedicated in Bowring Park, are exact replicas of those at the Newfoundland War Memorial in northern France, and mark the deaths of 820 people who died in the war but have no known graves.

"From now onward, people who are descendants of those who are named on these plaques can visit this site, as well as any other person who is interested in the history of our province," Kevin Hutchings, the honourary lieutenant-colonel of the Royal Newfoundland Regiment, told a ceremony that drew several hundred people.

"I am delighted that these plaques are exact replicas. No changes whatsoever have been made."

Wednesday marked the 93rd anniversary of the Battle of Beaumont Hamel, which had a devastating impact on the regiment. Of more than 800 members, only 68 were were able to report for duty the next day.

To this day, memorial services marking the battle are held every July 1 in ceremonies across Newfoundland and Labrador.

The plaques name members of the regiment, as well as the merchant marine and the Royal Naval Reserve.

Spectator Pauline Beckett was touched by the ceremony, in which participants laid a long series of wreaths. She said she was reminded of her father, who died a decade ago.

"They had it hard over there," she said. "My father was over in Scotland and he was over in the war, the second one. We don't know but they must've went through a lot."

Participant Shannon Fisher had her own reasons to attend the ceremony. Her 20-year-old son is a reservist with the regiment.

"Our views changed once our son put on the uniform," she said. "It becomes very real to us, that these are actually people who lived and died for us."

That's a very nice photo. Thanks to others, past and present, I didn't have to go to war, and was free to live in peace. So many things that I take for granted, I owe to them.

Intersting to note is that the plaques are excat copies of the ones in France so any misspelling there will also be on these plaques.

Executive Council
Tourism, Culture and Recreation
June 30, 2009
First World War Servicemen with No Known Graves to be Honoured

Tomorrow (Wednesday, July 1) will mark the 93rd anniversary of the Battle of Beaumont Hamel, and the Honourable Clyde Jackman, on behalf of the Honourable Danny Williams, Premier of Newfoundland and Labrador, will take part in a special ceremony to honour all Newfoundland and Labrador servicemen who died during the First World War, but particularly those who have no known graves.

The event will take place at the Caribou Memorial in Bowring Park in St. John’s, and involves the unveiling of three bronze plaques, exact replicas of those located at Beaumont Hamel in France, bearing the names of 820 fallen members of the Royal Newfoundland Regiment, the Royal Naval Reserve, and the Mercantile Marine, who have no known resting place. The ceremony begins at 2:00 p.m.

"A few years ago I had the honour and privilege of travelling to Beaumont Hamel for the 90th anniversary of the Battle of the Somme," said Premier Williams. "During the First World War, many young Newfoundlanders and Labradorians made the ultimate sacrifice in the name of freedom and these brave souls are most deserving of a fitting and lasting memorial right here at home. Most Newfoundlanders and Labradorians will never have the honour of visiting the memorial at Beaumont Hamel personally and I am very pleased that we have been able to replicate the name plaques and to incorporate them into our own Caribou Memorial in Bowring Park. Many people and families have loved ones whose names are listed on those plaques and I am proud that the names of our brave fallen will now be prominently displayed for all the people of the province to see."

"In addition to Beaumont Hamel, there were several First World War battles which resulted in the loss of some of the best and brightest of an entire generation of young men – some of whose bodies were never recovered," said Minister Jackman. "By placing the names of these particular 820 men on a memorial here in Newfoundland and Labrador, we are, in a symbolic way, bringing these soldiers, sailors and servicemen back home."

Minister Jackman will be joined by his Honour Lieutenant-Governor John Crosbie; His Excellency François Delattre, Ambassador of France to Canada; St. John’s Mayor Dennis O’Keefe; Lieutenant-Colonel Kevin Hutchings, Honorary Colonel of the First Battalion, Royal Newfoundland Regiment; and Comrade Joseph Kennedy, Chairman of the Provincial Command, Royal Canadian Legion.

The Provincial Government invested $400,000 to fully fund the replication of the bronze plaques, with a project team led by the Department of Tourism, Culture and Recreation, the City of St. John’s, the Royal Newfoundland Regiment, and the Royal Canadian Legion.

- 30 -

Media contacts:

Elizabeth Matthews
Director of Communications
Office of the Premier
709-729-3960
elizabethmatthews@gov.nl.ca  Roger Scaplen
Press Secretary
Office of the Premier
709-729-4304, 727-0991
rogerscaplen@gov.nl.ca 
Heather May
Director of Communications
Department of Tourism, Culture and Recreation 709-729-0928, 697-5061
heathermay@gov.nl.ca   

2009 06 30                                                  10:50 a.m.

Back