• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Wannabes and Gonnabes

What is the timing for that 160km march?

In Bravo Two Zero, Andy McNab tells of their section‘s escape and evasion which took them from Western Iraq and into Syria. Equivalent to more than 3 marathons, the escape took several days, they suffered the worsst weather in that part of the world in decades, with freezing temperatures, blowing snow, and of course, enemy trackers looking for them. They ran out of food, water and ammunition (as they had to dump their 208-lb rucks) and several times had to shoot it out with Iraqi troops.

After reading the book, I see now why infantry - and special forces in particular - need to maintain a high level of fitness.

It is one thing to be able to hump your ruck and weapon over dozens of kilometres of rough terrain. But to do that and still be expected to fight and win is extremely difficult.

As they say, when the bell rings, you‘ve got to be there. Not thirty second later.

As I believe McNab quoted in his book Immediate Action "If you‘ve got to be there to provide cover with a minimi in 9 hours 40 minutes, there no sense in being there in 9 hours 43 minutes..."

kinda ties in nicely :skull:

Wasn‘t the 208lbs figure the TOTAL amount of kit the troopers were carrying ? I wore the occasionnal 100+lbs ruck in my time (and jumped them a few times), and I can‘t possibly imagine doubling that weight PLUS the rest of the kit. Anyway, it has been a long time since I read the book.
I met members of 22nd SAS and even though they are outstanding soldiers, they are still human... :cdn:

portcullisguy: I read somewhere that it was 3 days
for the 160km march.

Jungle: Yes, that was total kit (minus weapons, i think): full NBC gear, minimum 1 jerry of water, plastique explosives in large quantities, claymores and various other land mines, extra ammo, cold weather clothing, radios, rats for a week or two... it adds up. I don‘t think I could even get that off the ground, let alone carry it for any considerable amount of time.

The ones who walk around, talk tough and are extremely cocky are the troops who literally crumble when it really comes right down to it. To make matters even more entertaining are the "one tour wonders" who come back from a UN tasking in Bosnia (for those who do not know, Bosnia isn‘t the nightmare it was in 1993; it‘s pretty much a cakewalk now) and start acting like they‘re God‘s gift to the unit. At any rate, start soldiering and stop talking about your QL2 like you were in ‘Nam.

-the patriot- :cdn:

Between you me and the walls a bunch of the reservists going on roto 13 were the ones who got kicked off roto 8
:blotto:

Even if i had a specific regiment in mind I wouldn‘t say. Its not my place. However you can probably assume that theres a few bad apples from every regiment all across 31-32 & 33 brigade.

Someone was talking about being young and gungho for the JTF2 stuff.. I think the average age for a JTF2 member is something like 29?? So it‘s not just the young gungho people that try for it, but the middle (career-wise) aged somdiers that decide they are up for the challenge.. JTF 2 looks for the people with experience.. and dedication.

Bzz

The PST is as follows:
500-yard swim using breast and/or sidestroke in under 12
minutes and 30 seconds
10-minute rest
Perform a minimum of 42 push-ups in 2 minutes
2-minute rest
Perform a minimum of 50 sit-ups in 2 minutes
2-minute rest
Perform a minimum of 6 pull-ups (no time limit)
10-minute rest
Run 1 ½ miles wearing boots and long pants in under 11
minutes and 30 seconds

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thats the NAVY SEAL pre-screening test, everyone in the infantry can do that. Hell some of us Navy boys can do that. I bet its more mental strength than physical coupled with big talk

hmmm...this post makes me think about what you guys are talking about...big talkers ending up doing the opposite of what they say they're going to do and the quiet guys being the ones to do it all.

A really really good friend of mine (well, back in the day anyway), who got his wings in cadets with me, ended up going to a reserve infantry regt while we were both going to university together. He ends up doing his phase 2 and then phase 3. Well, I gradute school and the entire time he never really mentions going to the regs. He thinks about going to the Ottawa/Carleton police or Toronto police, OR, get a business job and stay in the reserves. Well, I move back to Montreal and the bum goes and does a tour in Bosina with 3 ppcli. When he gets back, some time passes and the he gets accepted onto the pathfinder course...while still being in the reserves!!! He must have made some serious contacts somewhere! Last I hear, which was a couple years ago, he tops his phase 4, is with the ppcli para coy and was slated to go on his ranger course. Who knows where he is now, I can't contact him. He must be a captain by now.

Anyways, the point is, this thread made me think of him...that's all. I'm super jealous of him and extremely proud of him as well.

Well, I think these guys want the "glory" jobs, but not alot have what it really takes.  Too many wanna-be quarterbacks, and not enough linemen.  Every trade in the military is there for a purpose, from cook to sniper.  Work as a team, and the whole team wins.

The problem is that not enough people know their roles. If more realized that there was dignity in being the cook or clerk, that they do contribute, that they are important, then things would be a whole lot simpler. diverdown is right, too many want to be the quarterback.

Cheers!

I think I'm partially guilty of.. well, I guess not wanting to be the cook, or the clerk. I won't wanna say that I spent my time in the military pushing paper. I don't want to be a Colonel or a hero, but I do want to be combat arms. I understand that the pointy end of the military wouldn't function without behind the scenes support, logististics, stuff like that. But at the same time, I desire to be the soldier, not the desk jockey.

Is that a selfish sort of viewpoint? I mean, I see the token line on war movies all the time, where the supply clerk or radio guy goes "Sir, I'd like to be a part of this.. I won't wanna tell my kids all I did in ______________ War was clean dishes and check boxes". Even though I know it's important, I still wanna be up front rather than in the back.

Maybe my viewpoint will change later on, when I eventually find my way into the military, and possibly a combat role.. but right now, that's how I think and feel. Is that worng?

A little story about a cook.
I first met the man when he was a cook for 3FD Sqn (now 1CER) back in 77.
The man was a good soldier i.e. knew his weapon's and infantry tactic's but was a cook upermost in his mind and for the boy's.

One Ex we went in to a laager and all of had to dig in full trench with ohp etc.
Old Ray bitched but did dig,when the O.C. and SSM came around to inspect our position's they called out for X (i forget his last name) Ray,Im here,where the F' are you?I'm here!
Her had dug a 7' trench with all the accrutiment's,chair's,small table etc.LOL

You had to be there to see it ;D

Ag I miss the old day's some what. :salute:

I am in a job where I see alot of people who just want the title of "firefighter". They don't realize that it doesn't mean a damn thing if you don't know what you are doing. Too many people think they can make it in this line of work just because it's cool/gets girls/has a pension/good pay/good shift, etc, etc, etc. I got into this because I like helpingpeople and also want to be paid fairly well to do it, who ants to be broke? I am in the Oilfield now because it pays that much more and I have some outstanding student loans to be rid of.

The thing is, I can't change the oil in my car, can't do my taxes, sometimes I don't like cooking my dinner. I rely on others to do these things for me. These people are just as important in the world as me for they provide a service that I can not. I will never try to be a doctor, number one, it's not my thing, number two, I'll leave the fixin' to people who are smart enough or at least way smarter than me. If more people realized that the job doesn't make them a contributor to society or the organization they are in (Military maybe), but how they perform it I think things would be alot simpler.

Maybe I have it easy because I am already in one of those so called enviable jobs. Well, to the guys who want them....try them out and see if you feel the same. I still love my job but have seen alot of guys come through the door that are there for the guts and glory and are not long leaving because it is way more or less (Depending on the view) than they bargained for.

Cheers!

I've wanted to join the Army for a few years now. Mostly, to improve myself. I realize that there is much hard work, dedication, and physical exertion adhead of me but everytime I think to myself, "Could I do that?", it doesn't phase me from answering - "Yeah, why not". I tried to get myself into the forces but was held back because I admitted to ingesting shrooms 2 years prior. Since then, I've had 2-3 jobs and have gone to college always with the army in the back of my mind. Every job I'm at it just won't stop. I am in Alberta now, previously Ontario, and have started to transfer my file to the Calgary base. I am a dishwasher.... it's time to put one foot in front of the other and step up to the plate. It's going to be a hell of a time, so see you guys there.

Patrick.

I have worked with the SBS on a few occasions.  they are some of the best troops I have ever encountered.  Most of the ones I met failed their first selection.  Some failed their second.  (Only 3 attempts allowed).  But they RTUed and worked at improving their skills.  They never said much.  They just worked hard at it and always kept doing their best. 

As they say, "you can talk the talk.  But you've got to walk the walk".

Aaron White said:
The PST is as follows:
500-yard swim using breast and/or sidestroke in under 12
minutes and 30 seconds
10-minute rest
Perform a minimum of 42 push-ups in 2 minutes
2-minute rest
Perform a minimum of 50 sit-ups in 2 minutes
2-minute rest
Perform a minimum of 6 pull-ups (no time limit)
10-minute rest
Run 1 ½ miles wearing boots and long pants in under 11
minutes and 30 seconds

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thats the NAVY SEAL pre-screening test, everyone in the infantry can do that. heck some of us Navy boys can do that. I bet its more mental strength than physical coupled with big talk

the key phase is "Pre-screening test".....  If I remember right, BUD/S has like a 90%+ drop on request rate. 

Back