• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Wanat Blame game

tomahawk6

Army.ca Legend
Inactive
Reaction score
LTG Natonski USMC found in his Wanat report that the chain of command failed the troops at the OP. In fact he stated that the company co,battalion co and brigade CO were derelict. Guess what no punishment ever occurred. I saw video where Natonski told the families that the coc was derelict followed by comments by a MG that actually the reprimands were recinded. Can you belive that crap ? Petreaus could have fixed this but my guess is that the brigade CO was probably in line for a star and a reprimand would have shot that to hell.

https://www.military1.com/military-education/article/1536386014-the-painful-lessons-of-the-battle-of-wanat/

http://www.staradvertiser.com/2010/07/23/breaking-news/senators-want-explanation-for-armys-reversal-on-wanat/

tomahawk6 said:
LTG Natonski USMC found in his Wanat report that the chain of command failed the troops at the OP. In fact he stated that the company co,battalion co and brigade CO were derelict. Guess what no punishment ever occurred. I saw video where Natonski told the families that the coc was derelict followed by comments by a MG that actually the reprimands were recinded. Can you belive that crap ? Petreaus could have fixed this but my guess is that the brigade CO was probably in line for a star and a reprimand would have shot that to hell.

https://www.military1.com/military-education/article/1536386014-the-painful-lessons-of-the-battle-of-wanat/

http://www.staradvertiser.com/2010/07/23/breaking-news/senators-want-explanation-for-armys-reversal-on-wanat/

I have been in very roughly similar situations and, where we had two jobs, constructing and patrolling, we were always resourced up the wazoo with extra troops who were surged in to cover the construction activities. These were major, mid to longer term operations involving all arms and services.

Usually, following a clearance op to prove the cordon positions, a large cordon was put in place manned by a minimum of a rifle company, complete with bunkers, C6SF, OHP, all the bells and whistles. Real WW1 stuff. The cordon troops would man the positons, control ingress and egress and patrol defensively, locally. Inside the cordon, construction would take place, usually supported by heavy lift choppers dumping materials in the cordon.

Outside of the cordon, other troops would be conducting offensive patrolling activity. Usually, these were troops who considered the area their usual TAOR, so they knew the most about the people, the ground and the enemy.

Even then, we needed a hefty QRF/ARF backup, and we would have top cover rotary wing support, 'Eagle Patrols', and other activities like offensive searches designed to keep the enemy off guard and busy elsewhere. The enemy would test the cordon continually, try IEDs/Car bombs/shoots/ mortar attacks etc. Sometimes these operations took weeks, so sustainment and rotation of in place troops was critical.

Based on what these guys were asked to do, yeah, I'd probably go with 'extreme negligence' on the part of their bosses.

daftandbarmy said:
I have been in very roughly similar situations and, where we had two jobs, constructing and patrolling, we were always resourced up the wazoo with extra troops who were surged in to cover the construction activities. These were major, mid to longer term operations involving all arms and services.

Usually, following a clearance op to prove the cordon positions, a large cordon was put in place manned by a minimum of a rifle company, complete with bunkers, C6SF, OHP, all the bells and whistles. Real WW1 stuff. The cordon troops would man the positons, control ingress and egress and patrol defensively, locally. Inside the cordon, construction would take place, usually supported by heavy lift choppers dumping materials in the cordon.

Outside of the cordon, other troops would be conducting offensive patrolling activity. Usually, these were troops who considered the area their usual TAOR, so they knew the most about the people, the ground and the enemy.

Even then, we needed a hefty QRF/ARF backup, and we would have top cover rotary wing support, 'Eagle Patrols', and other activities like offensive searches designed to keep the enemy off guard and busy elsewhere. The enemy would test the cordon continually, try IEDs/Car bombs/shoots/ mortar attacks etc. Sometimes these operations took weeks, so sustainment and rotation of in place troops was critical.

Based on what these guys were asked to do, yeah, I'd probably go with 'extreme negligence' on the part of their bosses.

Adding a photo from one such cordon op (not mine!):

Attachments

• Trenches.jpg
    Trenches.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 135
Back