• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Valentine's Day gift-giving deadline approaching - CTV News

Yrys

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
As I sense a potential for spiraling down on that sugject I thought I started it directly in Radio Chatter :).

I was asked yesterday if I want a box of clementins (yes, yes, the fruits) for that day  ;D!

Hasty V-Day shoppers spend more to avoid conflict

A U.S. consumer study suggests that as the Valentine's Day gift-giving deadline approaches, a last-minute shopper's goal shifts
from finding the perfect gift to finding a gift that avoids a relationship meltdown.

Researchers from the Universities of Chicago; California, Berkeley; and Stanford found that consumers are drawn to products with positive
outcomes when there is ample time to consider the purchase. In contrast, shoppers are drawn to products that will help prevent negative
outcomes when Valentine's Day is fast approaching. "Consumers facing an imminent decision are confronted with the negative possibility
of failing to fulfill their purchasing goal," said the authors of "Time Will Tell: The Distant Appeal of Promotion and Imminent Appeal of Prevention."

"When the purchase is still far off in the future, however, consumers are likely to be fairly optimistic about succeeding and less concerned
with the possibility of goal failure," they said in a written statement on their findings, which were published in the Journal of Consumer Research in February.

Last-minute shoppers spend more

Participants were asked to consider a trip to Europe. Some were told to consider a last-minute summer vacation while others were told
to consider one several months away -- over the winter holidays. They were then shown ads from a non-existent website, PriceAlerts.com.
Some ads were cast in a positive light, for example: "Give yourself a memorable vacation!" and "Get the best deal!" But others had negative
undertones: "Don't get stuck at home!" and "Don't get ripped off."

Participants planning a last-minute trip were willing to pay $178 more on average, the researchers found, when presented with "negative" ads
rather than "positive" ones.
In contrast, those planning a trip that was months away responded to the positive ads and were open to paying $165 more, the study found.

Linda Brigley, owner and operator of Spirit Urban Spa in Halifax, told CTV.ca that when the Valentine's Day deadline is looming, consumers
are not as likely to be planning an elaborate day of relaxation for their loved one. Instead, they're looking for a quick and easy fix. "I think
the last-minute shoppers are the flowers-and-chocolate type. Or they'll call and try to do something but often we're all booked up," she said.

Brigley said couple's spa packages for Valentine's Day are often booked three to four weeks in advance, leaving hasty buyers with limited options.
"What happens for a lot of last-minute shoppers is they're buying gift certificates. I think that's sort of the same as buying flowers and chocolates,"
she said. The study, published in the February edition of Journal of Consumer Research, suggests that consumers are even willing to pay more
for a last-minute gift in order to avoid a negative outcome.

Liliana Mann, owner of specialty lingerie boutique Linea Intima, told CTV.ca that feelings of guilt often prompt shoppers, most often men, into
spending over budget. "The guilt trip gets them to buy things that are more expensive," she said from Toronto during a recent phone interview.
"Sometimes they try to be very specific but it's the last moment and they can't find that specific request because it might be sold out. So then
they'll buy whatever they can find and will spend more because they see they have no choice."

Mann says the wrong size, an obnoxious color, improper gift wrapping, or a card without a heartfelt message, are tell-tale signs that a gift
was purchased under time constraints. Samantha Conover, manager of lingerie boutique Secrets From Your Sister, says men will be prompted
to spend more on Valentine's Day in an effort to look like they really did their homework.

Do your research

Before whipping out the credit card, Conover says some research is in order. "Look at what your significant other likes already, what they
already have. If everything in their drawer is really simple and cotton, they are most likely not going to want this see-through, netted, lacy
over-the-top thing," Conover said from the Toronto store.If you don't have a month to prepare, a piece of jewelry can convey emotion and
a sense of preparation when crunched for time. The key is finding a jeweller who asks the right questions.

Susan Outerbridge, jewelry designer and buyer with Touch of Gold in Halifax, told CTV.ca that being able to convey your partner's tastes
goes a long way in picking the perfect gift at the last minute. "Most cases we are trying to help them choose something that is going to
really be greatly appreciated and is going to be suitable," she said. "We take the time to ask questions about who they are shopping for
and help them to choose something that is going to be very meaningful." Knowing if your partner prefers white gold to yellow gold, if
they like sporty over sparkle or have a modern versus classic sense of style is a good place to start.

What if the gift you receive is off the mark? The key is to provide some sort of positive reinforcement, Mann said. "If he got it wrong
and you're going to be upset with him because he got it wrong, if you're going to be negative about it, you might as well forget about
a gift the next time," Mann said. "If you have a positive attitude about it and you make a joke about it or take it in good stride, they will remember next time."

I personally don't understand why the beheading of a saint is considered the day of love.  Maybe that's why I am single.  :-\

[color=redSaudis clamp down on valentines[/color]

Religious police in Saudi Arabia are banning the sale of Valentine's Day gifts including red roses, a local newspaper has reported.

The Saudi Gazette quoted shop workers as saying that officials had warned them to remove all red items including flowers and wrapping paper.
Black market prices for roses were already rising, the paper said. Saudi authorities consider Valentine's Day, along with a host of other annual
celebrations, as un-Islamic.In addition to the prohibition on celebrating non-Islamic festivals, the authorities consider Valentine's Day as
encouraging relations between men and women outside wedlock - punishable by law in the conservative kingdom.

The Saudi Gazette reported that some people placed orders with florists days or weeks before Valentine's Day in anticipation of the ban,
which is a regular occurrence."Sometimes we deliver the bouquets in the middle of the night or early morning, to avoid suspicion,"
one florist said. Others were planning to travel to the more religiously liberal neighbouring countries, Bahrain or the United Arab
Emirates, to celebrate.

Saudi Arabian authorities impose a strict Islamic code that prevents men and women from mixing.

Panzer Grenadier said:
I personally don't understand why the beheading of a saint is considered the day of love.  Maybe that's why I am single.  :-\

You just need to find the right woman that knows how to wield a good sword...

And if you've read Shakespear, you'll understand ;D

Quote: Saudi authorities consider Valentine's Day, along with a host of other annual celebrations, as un-Islamic.In addition to the prohibition on celebrating non-Islamic festivals, the authorities consider Valentine's Day as encouraging relations between men and women outside wedlock - punishable by law in the conservative kingdom.

Un-Islamic, huh? I should tell this to my (former) Saudi students who all have "Happy Valentine's Day!" in their status updates on Facebook.  ;D

Happy Valentine's Day, Army.ca members!   :cheers:

I know I won't get any cards or flowers or kisses or hugs ...

But could someone at least send me a donair?? I'm starving.

Old Ranger -- I wield a good whip, but swords are a 'lil out of my league.

Here ya go, Vern!!

donair.jpg

Take two, followed by a tequila chaser.  ;)

PMedMoe said:
Here ya go, Vern!!

donair.jpg

Take two, followed by a tequila chaser.   ;)

>:D

I'm not that big of an eater -- I'll stick with a good old fashioned one of them (and a tequila on the side)!!

Thanks Moe!!

ArmyVern (Female type) said:
I know I won't get any cards or flowers or kisses or hugs ...
Old Ranger -- I wield a good whip, but swords are a 'lil out of my league.

A sword as written by Shakespear holds an implied meaning as a symbol of something else. And I do recall posts in a Cougar not the AFV topic that indeed imply you defiantly know "Swords";D

Here is a Card,  :cdn:
Here is a flower(of sorts) :army:
Here is a  :-*
Here are a bunch of Hugs, OOOOOO ;D

Happy Me Day!

I'm actually interested in becoming the Queen of Donairs now. I need to aquaint myself with them.

Oh my --- the "Cougar - Not the AFV Type" thread ... it's been a while. I may find reason to fish 'er out and necropost.  >:D

Mmm, I saw that a little late for today  ;D !

Done right, even your man can learn new tricks

Author of new book applies animal education tips to human relationships

Nobody expects an animal to change its behavior overnight, unless that animal is of the species homo sapiens. And that simple realization
has changed journalist Amy Sutherland’s life, for the better. Two years ago, after attending a school for exotic animal trainers for a book
project, Sutherland had an insight: What works on animals ought to work on humans.

Using her own husband as her test subject, she applied the same techniques to training him that animal trainers use on killer whales, baboons
and every other manner of critter. She wrote an article for The New York Times about it, and it became that newspaper’s most e-mailed article
of the year. ...In her Times article, she had written: “I listened, rapt, as professional trainers explained how they taught dolphins to flip and
elephants to paint. Eventually it hit me that the same techniques might work on that stubborn but lovable species, the American husband.

“The central lesson I learned from exotic animal trainers is that I should reward behavior I like and ignore behavior I don't. After all, you don't
get a sea lion to balance a ball on the end of its nose by nagging. The same goes for the American husband.”...

“It’s a wonderful book,” psychologist Helen Fisher, who joined the discussion on the TODAY Show, said. “We are animals, and we grew up in
these little hunting and gathering bands where everybody had to adjust their behavior constantly. And the brain is built to pick up on tiny little
cues,” Fisher said. “We have this whole reward system in the brain. We want to feel good. We want to be flipped the fish and so we will respond.
We’re built to respond, to please.”

In setting out to change her husband, Fisher found that she changed herself. And her husband, Scott, learned to use her own techniques on her,
so that they were training each other. “It was really about two things,” she said. “It was about me deciding what behavior did I like and encouraging
that, because too often we let those moments get past us; we’re busy thinking about what somebody’s doing wrong or what they did wrong yesterday.
And then the fundamental thing is that I changed myself. I changed my behavior hoping to change his behavior. But he ultimately was the one who responded.”

In a separate interview with NBC News, Scott quipped: “I sort of aspire to be a higher primate anyway. So if that helps me, great.”

“He’s a sweetheart,” Sutherland said.

Édith : I'm adding a litle something about flowers...

Behind Colombia's flower trade[/color]

And a song to celebrate the holiday.  Because, like all men, I'm such a romantic...

http://blip.tv/file/get/KenLevine-ValentinesDayTreat322.m4a

Thats one thing I lie about being single. No money wasted on VDBS.

Cheers,

Wes

Wesley  Down Under said:
No money wasted on VDBS.

You don't have to spend money on that day even when you're not single.
A poem, a love letter don't cost much...

Jacinthe, ha, I am over it all. The more I date, the more I love my cats, and if its lust I am after, a little bit of horizontal refreshment, I'll use my accent to charm the locals, go back to their place, and leave in the morning.

Regards,

Wes

The best thing about Valentines day is that for us chocolate addicts the price of chocolate drops the day after.
Besides, it's good for you, the Pop Scientists said so - http://www.sciencenews.org/pages/sn_arch/10_12_96/food.htm
Dark chocolate may even help your diabetes - http://www.defeatdiabetes.org/Articles/food050318.htm
Enjoy!

Back