• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

USS LITTLE ROCK frozen in at Montreal

• Thread starter Thread starter jollyjacktar
  • Start date Start date
J

jollyjacktar

It appears she was unable to get past Montreal before the Seaway was closed for the winter.  I could think of worse ports to be stuck at for a US vessel.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5294579/Navy-ship-stuck-ice-Montreal-move.html

She is not stuck in Montreal because of the closure of the Saint-Lawrence Seaway, she is stuck in Montreal because of the ice conditions in the St. Lawrence River and Gulf. They just don't want to have to drive her through any ice even though the River and Gulf do not close in winter - are open year round - and are actually opened right now (though, between Montreal and Les Escoumins, traffic is restricted to daytime only during the ice season). I am not surprised, because the speed of those ships is gained at the expanse of hull thickness, so they are, in fact, quite fragile as hulls go.

For those not knowledgeable of the nuance (and neither the US Navy spokesman nor the Guardian appear to be), the St Lawrence Seaway begins just West of Montreal harbour, at the Saint-Lambert lock and goes only to Iroquois lock, which gives access to Lake Ontario. That's it! In Montreal harbour, you are OUT of the Seaway and into the River system.

And she made it through the Seaway before it closed. She arrived in Montreal on Christmas eve (as reported in the Gazette) and the Seaway closed on December 29, 2017 for this winter's maintenance period.

I'd be more tempted to sneak onboard and press-gang the lot of them then hoist our Jack and assume ownership...  (see what I did there...ownerSHIP hehehe)

NavyShooter said:
I'd be more tempted to sneak onboard and press-gang the lot of them then hoist our Jack and assume ownership...  (see what I did there...ownerSHIP hehehe)

Everytime I read about ships I think of "the last ship" series. I'm kind of curious what kind of small arms a ship like what would carry.

I think it would be similar to us, we carry Sigs, Shotguns, C-7, C-9, HK MP5 (IIRC).  I would expect they would also have some sort of designated marksman rifle or better too. 

NavyShooter said:

I wouldn't want a Little Crappy Ship. The yanks can keep them.

+1

The article in the Montreal Gazette (sorry it's in the subscriber's only section, so I can't post it) indicates that, to over-winter in Montreal, they had to acquire two ice control systems (read the "bubblers system that prevent ice from forming around the ship by constantly moving the water around it with compressed air) and six, count them, six, heavy commercial heaters to keep the inside warm.

That's what you want to board and take over, NavyShooter?

<--- not a subscriber...

Perhaps press-gangs and cutting out parties should be left in the days of Horatio HornBlower then...

NS

The hull is one concern due to its aluminum make up and may of sustained some hull damage on the way down to Montreal, the other is the waterjet propulsion the ship has, the intake turbines cannot tolerate ice or slush ingress. The heaters were brought in to combat the-20 temps and because the machinery spaces are not insulated for temperature that low. They have already had multiple problems with frozen pipes in the spaces.

Hopefully, the RCN is helping them out. Lord knows, after the PRO fire, we owe the USN.

Cold aside, I can think of worse cities to be stuck for the winter.

SeaKingTacco said:
Hopefully, the RCN is helping them out. Lord knows, after the PRO fire, we owe the USN.

Cold aside, I can think of worse cities to be stuck for the winter.

I would imagine HMCS Donnacona will be opening up their gym to them and other activities.

One question not raised in the OP quoted article, or so far anywhere else yet, is why the Little Rock was scheduled to remain in the Great Lakes so late in the season when her acceptance trials had been completed and she had been delivered to the USN in late September.  Is this another example of the USN not being aware of actual requirements for ship handling. 

http://www.greatlakes-seaway.com/en/commercial/freezeup_e.pdf
The forecast for the Seaway calls for the first permanent ice to form near Montreal after mid-December, approximately five to seven days slower than normal. Ice growth will continue to progress to the vicinity of Cornwall and Iroquois near the end of December, again five to seven days slower than the climate normal. Ice formation will be delayed by five to seven days as well for the Welland Canal. The Western Basin of Lake Erie will experience widespread ice growth near the end of December 2017.

Was it absolutely necessary for her to be in Buffalo on 16 December, or did an opportunity for a commissioning ceremony (alongside its WW2 namesake, now a museum ship) trump common sense.  Is some admiral (or other government bigwig) going to be held accountable for the decision?

Blackadder1916 said:
One question not raised in the OP quoted article, or so far anywhere else yet, is why the Little Rock was scheduled to remain in the Great Lakes so late in the season when her acceptance trials had been completed and she had been delivered to the USN in late September.  Is this another example of the USN not being aware of actual requirements for ship handling. 

http://www.greatlakes-seaway.com/en/commercial/freezeup_e.pdf
Was it absolutely necessary for her to be in Buffalo on 16 December, or did an opportunity for a commissioning ceremony (alongside its WW2 namesake, now a museum ship) trump common sense.  Is some admiral (or other government bigwig) going to be held accountable for the decision?

Hard to say, the early winter freeze up caught everyone off guard and several ships are still stuck in place until the breakup comes. She went alongside Montreal and didn't leave due to some issues with her steering gear and got caught in the freeze up. They gambled and lost.
I just confirmed that HMCS Donnacona the local reserve unit in Montreal will be supporting the sailors while there through activities and use of their facilities.

The crew of USS Little Rock are volunteering in Montreal: https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/stranded-in-montreal-u-s-sailors-volunteer-at-welcome-hall-mission-1.3816495

dapaterson said:
The crew of USS Little Rock are volunteering in Montreal: https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/stranded-in-montreal-u-s-sailors-volunteer-at-welcome-hall-mission-1.3816495

Good on them. :salute:

And take good note: It's the head of the charity who called the attention of the media to this, not the crew who wanted this kept under wrap. The actual crew is on order to not talk to reporters and is doing this charity work purely out of the real kindness of their heart, with no thought of publicity or glory for themselves.

Anybody around here with the ear of the CDS? Perhaps a Unit Citation or something like that (at the very least, a real nice official letter to the Captain and his own superior officer) might be in order here?

Back