• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

transition to military vehicles

gman620

Inactive
Reaction score
Im expectiong to leave in a month for BMQ as a semi skilled VehTech.  I know cars, trucks and semis fairly well, but im wondering what is the transition to military vehicles like? did any of you catch on pretty quick? or is it like starting all over?  I know, I know  worry about basic first, but im just curious about what ive signed up for, not that im nervous or anything, just curiostity.  and one other thing, my writing is something to be desired, its messy and there is no way that can change.  I know ill be writing that autobiography at least 10 times, but is this going to make being a vehtech difficult?

well, you will have better penmanship after BMQ is over, all memorandums have to be written in pen, I advise white-out, I used it because i would always make a mistake and (waste like 10 sheets for every neat page writing). As for your QL3 I belive they have changed it so its all learning the Computer System, where as before it was all pulling wrenches etc.

yeah ive heard that QL3 is all computer, how can they expect you to learn to rebuild a motor on a computer? i geuss ill see wont i?

prolly because its easier...not, you cant diagnose an engine sputter, unless you know what a Carberator, Distributor etc.  is and how it works, you dont rely on a machine to tell you what to do., I think it sounds to me like the Computer should be a 5's thing

Any qualified veh techs care to jump in?

We used to have work broken down by the length of time it would take for the job and where you worked depended upon this. Engine rebuilds beyond changing pushrods was a swapout & replace with the motors going to Longpointe. Most of the work was diagnose and replace parts not too much time spent repairing unless you were in the field and couldn't get the parts. From your background you shouldn't have much probelm adjusting, the nice thing about CMP was that once you worked on one type the basics were all the same. It was only the work on the ancillary equipment that would vary (winches, hiabs, kitchen, tracks or engineer equipment etc). 

currently if you're step 3 (private 3, say, apprentice or college education) when you finally get to your training, you will do CET (common eme trades) which is regimental history, some vehicle recovery type stuff, a little fieldcraft and classwork. Then you do WHMIS and safety. You skip CETT - technical training - because you already know what a wrench is, what a vernier caliper is, that kinda thing. So a month and a bit pre-QL3 training. I can't speak to your specific education, but my step 3 QL3 course is only 9 specific POs, and should take about 3 months - down from the usual 6.

Handwriting (mine is terrible too) is a good skill to have , but working on a shop floor you can use a computer for most things. It won't make basic very difficult either since all the tests are now on computers. If you screw up and have to write essays well.... good luck!

the preferred training schedule is like this - BMQ, SQ(BMQ-L), DDC+404s LSVW, air brakes, CET, CETT, QL3, posting.

best advice I can give you is not to take the inspections tooooo seriously ;) Welcome to the CF!  :cdn:

Back