• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Too Easy "The Mega" week 5

Mojo Magnum

Inactive
Reaction score
Just got home for one night.  We just wrapped up week 5.  Definetly not what I expected.  You can memorize all the bmq tips you want and it won't take away from the experience.  Tuffest part is being away from home.  (for me anyway, I'm married with kids).  The PT is no biggie.  We've got people who can't jog there way out of a paper bag, but as long as they don't give up, OR GET HURT, they can keep on keepin on.  Getting injured is my biggest worry.  Shin splints can send you to Pat Platoon Purgatory.  I ran into one woman who's going on almost two years on Pat. 

If you're getting ready to go, make sure you can maintain a steady run for at least 5k.  Yes you can squeeze by on less, but if you're body is not conditioned to the daily punishment your likelyhood of injury is a lot higher.  Those who are in shape will have an easier time.

One more tip.  Whether you're week 1 or week 5  make sure you keep a small pad of paper and a pen on you at all times.  Your ability to remember simple directives will distinguish you from those who cannot.  When you're stumbling out of bed at 4:05am, you will have a hard time remembering the list of items you are required to bring for that day.  And if you screw up.......

dress parade baby!!!!
(don't know what it is?  You'll find out.  All 9 flights of stairs worth.  All the way up, all the way down.  And do it again)

Hooo ahhh

Mojo.

Change parades are fun, I used to love doing those during BMQ    ;D

Shin splints send you to PAT? I got shin splints during my basic, never sent me to the MIR or stopped me from doing everything.

2 years in PAT, now thats gotta suck.

Always have a pen an paper on you, weather you're on course or at your unit.

MikeL said:
Shin splints send you to PAT? I got shin splints during my basic, never sent me to the MIR or stopped me from doing everything.
shin splints don't send you to Holding. Complaining that shin splints keep you from doing what is required of you puts you in Holding. Using shin splints as an excuse for not being able to complete your training keeps you in Holding.

Also, troops, for those of you who are so inclined to treat the Army as a form of Welfare, you can use back pain, or knee pain, since they are impossible to properly diagnose. It is possible to complete your entire Basic Engagement in PAT Pl. Think of it, troops! 3 years of free money, free housing, free food, free clothing, no work, and the bonus of pretending you are serving your nation.

All you have to trade is your self-respect.

Mojo, keep up the good work anyway. Being away from the family is one thing, but it is a good one to be used to. When you'll get deployed (if you keep on going good), you'll  have to deal with that again. If you appreciate the army life, you'll be able to cope with the drawbacks...
Going on tour overseas is rewarding....

paracowboy said:
shin splints don't send you to Holding. Complaining that shin splints keep you from doing what is required of you puts you in Holding. Using shin splints as an excuse for not being able to complete your training keeps you in Holding.

Ah, I guess instructers can't tell people to  walk it off. I can understand someone complaining about a broken foot,(or whatever) torn ligament an being sent to the MIR an PAT Plt, but a shin splint?

Hey Cowboy,
been awhile.  You're the perfect guy to answer this for me.  Granted a shin splint is no big deal, but I've been under the impression that continual pounding day after day for too long can lead to tendons tearing off the bone and fractures in the bone.  True?False?

I witnessed a guy just a few days ago being told by a Dr. that he had "soldiered on" too long with his shin splints and now was suspected of having bone and tissue damage that had worked up both shins and that he was looking at something called "permanent rest" until he was all healed up.  Sounds like definite recourse to me.

Any thoughts?

Mojo Magnum said:
Granted a shin splint is no big deal, but I've been under the impression that continual pounding day after day for too long can lead to tendons tearing off the bone and fractures in the bone.   True?False?
True. Happened to me. I tore my soleus muscle, and gave myself stress fractures in my shins. I didn't prepare properly for Basic or Battle School. I didn't run. I felt that my years of rodeo, hockey, and martial arts were enough. And they were, from a strictly cadriovascular/aerobic point of view.

But the constant pounding from running, and it being so foreign to my body, and me being far too stubborn to realize I was crossing the line from Hard into Stupid, side-lined me. Put me in Holding Platoon for a couple months, and when back on course, I was in shyte shape because Holding wasn't allowed to do PT or physical labour.

So, now we have two points:
1) when I tell wannabe's to run, (and to run outside, on the ground, not treadmills) I know what I'm talking about, and I'm trying to help.
2) from my time in Holding Pl (PAT Pl), and my time teaching, I know just what percentage of people are truly injured, and what percentage are just not suited for military life, but refuse to admit it as they prefer to milk the system for the free ride. Hint - the former are vastly outnumbered by the latter.

Actually three points - 3) while it is possible and does occur, it happens so rarely that it's almost a non-issue, IF you prepare properly. Once the body is built up sufficiently, it just don't happen no mo'. (Okay, it happens, but in infinitesimal numbers.)

From my experience at the mega, i found most people on Pat were there for good reasons and wanted out quickly.  My Pl was design designed to take on pat's as it went along and we had about 15 by the time we done.  All hated it and wanted out.

But youi are right about the running.  i wasn't in shape when I went made it though but it could of been easier, but running has never been my time. 

well me bye's,
I'm heading back this morning.  A 9hour drive to get back to the Mega and nail down weeks 6-11.  Thanx for the insight, and I trust that the next time I touch this keyboard I'll be an honest to goodness graduate.

Later.

hoo aah
my second (and no doubt last) weekend away.   I survived week 7.   MK exam, Weapons test and drill test.   All good on the first try.   Off to Farnam on Monday.   Still nursing the damn shins.   Only three weeks to get through so....as a certain Master Corporal likes to remind us.....Soldier the frig up and "Drive the Body".

later bye's

Yes!! 
I just graduated from the Mega.  I'm glad it's over.

Nice work RO221E.

thank you army.ca for all the insight and encouragement you provided by making this forum available.
you are providing an invalueable service.

And if you screw up.......

dress parade baby!!!!
(don't know what it is?  You'll find out.  All 9 flights of stairs worth.  All the way up, all the way down.  And do it again)

Never got to experience that at the Mega 4 years ago as it was not allowed on our course when I went through. Too many injuries from past recruits falling down the stairs or trampling each of in the barracks trying to get to their cubical. 

Change parade = teamwork

Mojo Magnum said:
Yes!! 
I just graduated from the Mega.  I'm glad it's over.

Nice work RO221E.

thank you army.ca for all the insight and encouragement you provided by making this forum available.
you are providing an invalueable service.

Congratulations :)

Who gets up at 4:05am?

If you get up at 5:30 like your supposed to you can get ready for the day in time without waking up an entire platoon below you to sound of you dragging your bed across the floor.

In Borden we were up at all hours of the night fending off the invading red commies..

(Edited by Moderator to remove immature attempt to bypass profanity filter.)

Hoover,

It's time you stop and re-read the conduct guidelines.

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/24937.0.html

That's three posts in one day with profanity, and little relevence.

spartan031 said:
Who gets up at 4:05am?

If you get up at 5:30 like your supposed to you can get ready for the day in time without waking up an entire platoon below you to sound of you dragging your bed across the floor.

I don't want to give away too much of the "Mega" experience but if you made a policy of getting up at 5:30am, you'd be twenty minutes late for PT.  We surely did arise at 4am on many occassions.  The sooner you're ready, the sooner you can help your brothers and show up with a sense of "ease" instead of "panic".

I remember in my first week a guy kept on waking up  at 4:00 and it pissed off my whole side of the floor. Not only that but the instructors would reem us out if we ever got up that early, the earliest we ever got up was at 4:50 just because we had to go on a PT run at 5:10 as well as put out rifles away beforehand. Sorry but if I got the chance I would try to get sleep whenever possible, especially with a full day of death by powerpoint.

Back