• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Thoughts on the life of a sailor ...

Thoughts on the life of a sailors wife (lol)

Whiskey, I wont open up a new thread. You have a great one open here and I wont take that from you. Thus far, I have enjoyed reading every post left to be read.

I have heard of the dolphins playing tag with the ships. I have heard of swimming in the worlds largest swimming hole. Of the beautiful port visits and I have seen many of the pictures from these ports and the wonders they have to share.

I can also tell you there is nothing more gut wrenching (many or all of you know) than watching the ship slip and leaving your loved ones at the mercy of the land. My fiance isn't scheduled to sail until this time next year and I already hate the thought of it. It will never get easy. But I can also tell you that my stomach will do flips and flops when I see that ship slowly making its way back into the Halifax Harbour and I know my fiance will be home with me once again. I can hold him and love him and tell him how much I am in love with him and tell him how proud I am to have him as my fiance. He is seen in the eyes of the general public as a "hero" - someone who serves his country. Someone for everyone to look up to. But with more than words can ever say, he is MY hero. For my reasons and many reasons. He is my children's hero. We are all so proud of him.

But I can also tell you how important it is for the men and women who are called away for whatever reason, to try and keep contact with their loved ones. We know you are out there doing your jobs and sometimes it gets lost in the hustle and bustle of everything. In the meantime, we are at home wondering and worrying and praying and hoping for safe returns for everyone. As soon as that phone rings, I jump on it. I find myself checking the mail a little earlier each day to see if there is any news. I stare at pictures on the walls and find the tears building up inside. I hug the pillow at night and lay there trying to imagine him beside me but its no use. (And a 40 LB. Valley Bulldog doesn't cut it - I've tried) And there is so much relief when you get that phone call, email or letter...even if it is just to say "I'm fine. I love you". Thank god for the Family Resource Centres. They do such amazing work and sometimes we take it all for granted.

I'm gonna leave you guys with this for now. Keep up the great work that you all do. It's greatly appreciated  :cdn:

S.Bradbury

oh the life......it has been over 25 years since i sailed out of esquimalt.did many a ras with provider as someone stated earlier.it is nice to climb outa the rack and go topside where the air is so fresh and crisp,dolphins race in the ships wake,frolicking like kid's at play.being a ship's cook aboard Kootenay,it was very rewarding to see the comraderie of the crew,the interaction between officers and men,the love each person had for their ship.i often found solitude  after a hard day in the galley,by going topside and reminishing about what i would be doing if i hadn't been there.We had many folks posted to the ships who were originally army or airforce and it was great to see and hear their thoughts about the sealife after they had a few trips under their belts.now i am retired in texas and often tell my wife,if i had one wish in life it would be to make one more sail.my grandson is 10 and never tires from asking me to tell his friends about my sailing days.i guess that is what God had in store for me.If anyone would like to chat ,i am usually on yahoo messenger or you can email me at jmcdonaltx@yahoo.com.be safe my friends and keep the wind to your back.

Back