• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Elgins in Waterloo?

chk2fung

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi,
I‘m a civil engineering student at the University of Waterloo, and I want to join the reg force when I graduate. I was speaking to my friend at dinner and he was just at teh recruiting office in Kitchener last week and was told that there‘s gonna be a reserve engineer unit in Waterloo. I told him "yeah right?". Then he told me the 31 Combat Engineer Regiment is coming to waterloo starting this summer. I know The Elgins are from St. Thomas, Ontario. so is it true that maybe there‘s gonna be a waterloo based troop or squadron of The Elgins? If so I want to join but the way our university is run is that we are in coop so we may not necessairly have months off in the summer to train, and we may have months off in the fall or winter, cause we alternate between one school term and one work term. I wonder if they make acccomadations for our situation. I will probably call the recruiting office about this sometime this week, but if anyone has any insight please feel free to enlighten me.

I know some of the senior nco‘s at 31 cer and they have told me that yeah they are going to waterloo. Actually he said "were expanding like a mother ******!.Call the recruiting office and find out the details. As far as not having summer‘s off should‘nt be a problem. Most basic training courses are run at the unit level now. That meaning your BMQ or "basic military qualification" are run on the weekend‘s at the armouries. Most units will want you to be a NCO, before you can apply for a officer position at the unit. Just makes for a better leader. Good Luck!

I‘m going to the Recuiting office in about ... oh, 10 hours, and I‘m proud to say that I am joining the Elgins, the main pull for me was that they are moving to waterloo, (I‘m living just outside of Waterloo right now, and I have to say that I am glad to hear that the Elgins are expanding and growing, that means that I get to play with the new toys. ;) :tank:

Ooooh what ever happened to my Elgins of yes-ter-year.
RECON-BY- FORCE

LOL - the Elgin-eers were re-rolled from Recce a while back RECON-MAN. It just didn‘t make sense for 31 CBG to have 3 armour units. The Windsor‘s lost their boats and became the Brigades Recce asset.

Apparently the Elgins are very good at what they do, anyone trying out the obstacle course at Meaford could attest to that - that particular project was the focus of the Elgin‘s Mil-Con a while back.

I suspect one of the reasons that Waterloo was chosen for the new location is the reputation of the university‘s engineering program. Enrolment in (or previous completion of) a BEng program is the preferred way to meet the educational requirement to become an engineer officer. If this has not already been addressed, it will be looked at in the near future.

You might want to contact the unit for more information: http://army.ca/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/5/46?

Also contact your Dean‘s office. It may be possible to arrange for 4 months of reserve training as a coop term.

Thanx for the answers. I called the recruiting detachment in Kitchener today and wrote them an email. Its unforunate that there office operates on banker‘s hours, cause there‘s no way I can get there during the days. Workload is crazy, but hopefully they get back to me!!!

I started my process today, and I was told that I would likely still get in for the summer, because there are only about 10 other people who are applying for this unit(in waterloo) so there ARE still slots open(for now). But get it in soon if you want to go to summer BMQ/SQ.

I won‘t be able to go in the summer because I‘ll be on my co-op term and I‘ll be working in Toronto. Hopefully, when i do go, the unit will still be taking ppl. I‘m still not getting anything from the recruiting folks, but I‘m sure it‘ll be a good unit when things get settled!! Good luck Torn, maybe I‘ll be seeing you soon. Do you know where the unit will be garrisoned though?

if you mean the location of the facility, not even the planners are sure, last I knew, they were looking at a former elementary school just north of Conestoga mall, but they are having troubles with the city not wanting a facility there, or some such nonsense. From the sound of it, it would be an excellent place for the facility, for training etc.

Good luck to you in your Co-op term, and when you do apply(ASAP I hope ;) ) you will likely still get in for the winter weekend BMQ, and you will be able to parade with the rest of us on Thursdays.

Knowing there‘s a reserve engineering unit makes me wish I‘d gone to Waterloo instead of Queen‘s for the first time.

It is my understanding that the Elgins have actually entered into a lease for a commercial complex on Parkside Drive in the north end of the City of Waterloo. I think that the lease includes 3 commercial units that will be consolidated into one for the purposes of the Waterloo Squadron.

I thought all plans for new sub-units were frozen until post election?

I am a former engineering officer from the 3rd FER in Montreal and I am planning on re-upping in the Waterloo 48th Field Engineering Squadron, which will fall under the 31st CER in St. Thomas.   They have secured a building in Waterloo, signing the lease three days before the freeze (thanks be), and they are gearing up in a hurry.   I would encourage one and all in the Waterloo area to contact the Elgin's recruiting office in St Thomas to get more details at (519) 631-3316.   I hope to see you there.

I was suprised to see how things have changed.  I'll need to repeat most of my training (I don't mind), but I found out that Troop Commander qualification (i.e. full Lieutenant), which once was 33 weeks over 3 summers now takes only 14 in 1 or 2 summers.  Yikes.  I also hear that reserve engineers no longer do bridging.  That was also a shock.  It's a new world...

Sounds like 31 CER has a swearing in ceremony scheduled for 12 August, likely in St.Thomas. Anyone in the queue who is going?

:cdn:

Hello,

I currently hold the position of recruiting NCO for the St. Thomas area of 31 CER. If you have questions please feel free to ask.
There will be a swearing in ceremony on the 12th of August but it is undecided whether it is being held in Waterloo or St. Thomas.
I know the recruiter for Waterloo very well and will try and get him on to this forum to answer questions as well.
And to keep you up to date, the first furniture and stores went into the new building today and the phone has been hooked up ill have that for you tomorrow when i get to work.
Again please feel free to send your buddies here if they have questions.
And anyone from another unit that has the dreams of being an Engineer (who wouldn't) we are looking for people in both communities.
The number in St. Thomas is (519) 631-3316 ext 2228.
As well the building which is 3 units of a actual building with 1 civi business between them is at 550 Parkside Dr.

Hello, Bombardier Homer I presume?

I have been trying to get my application through, but I haven't been able to get up the nerve to, do you know if there are any more f/t courses this year after the summer, and what the chances are of getting in to one of them for 31 CER?

Edit: I appologize if I have the wrong person, but the contact I was given for the waterloo div. by the CFRC in Kitchener is bdr. Homer)

Nope not her.

I run recruiting out of St. Thomas and she was the clerk for Waterloo she is currently on course and will be finished with us shortly as she is going to attend university this fall
There is a POSSIBILITY of a CO-OP in Jan Feb but that is not a for sure thing. That would be half days and is really meant for high school students but if there was availability I think a person could be put into it.   No promises though

RGO said:
It is my understanding that the Elgins have actually entered into a lease for a commercial complex on Parkside Drive in the north end of the City of Waterloo. I think that the lease includes 3 commercial units that will be consolidated into one for the purposes of the Waterloo Squadron.

I would not be surprised!
The Army of the East alway's get's what it whant's to the detriment of the West! :mad:

Am I bitter? Yes I am I have seen this for years! :mad:

Spr.Earl said:
I would not be surprised!
The Army of the East alway's get's what it whant's to the detriment of the West! :mad:

Am I bitter? Yes I am I have seen this for years! :mad:

Don't be surprised it has happened.

Back