• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The CF Principles of Leadership and the Principles of War

hockeysgal

Inactive
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone knows the 10 principles of leadership and the 10 principles of war (in military context) of course. 

As there are so many versions of leadership principles, I assume you mean the one that are taught and followed in the CF?

hockeysgal said:
I was wondering if anyone knows the 10 principles of leadership and the 10 principles of war (in military context) of course.  

I can't recall the 10 leadership principles (bits and pieces but nothing precise) but we've covered 7 of the principles of war so far in a strategic studies course I'm taking:

1. Selection and Maintenance of the Aim: Choose a single constant aim.

Unity of Command: Ensure all forces are operating under a single commander.

Simplicity: Ensure the plan is simple and compensates for friction.

2. Concentration of Force: Ensure matching of friendly strength with enemy weakness.

Mass: Do not subdivide forces without reason.

Mutual Support: Ensure forces are mutually synchronized and strengthening.

3. Initiative: Ensure forces are able to obtain a concentration of force before the enemy.

Offense: Attack to obtain the initiative: necessary for victory.

Maneuver: Seek geographic advantage over the opponent.

Mobility: Geographic flexibility.

Flexibility: Be ready to adjust to the enemy.

Readiness: Safeguard against surprise.

Exploitation: Exploit enemy weakness.

Reserves: Ensure reserve forces are always available.

Surprise: Deploy more rapidly than the opponent's ability to adjust.

4. Economy of Force: Balance in the deployment of forces.

Security: Ensure friendly forces and planning are protected.

Deception: Deceive the enemy by means of a stratagem.

Diversion: Distract the enemy's effort.

5. Reconnaissance: Ensure full information.

Maintenance of Contact: Do not lose track of the enemy ¡ ¯s location.

6. Leadership: Ensure soldiers are aware of goals of the war.

Morale: Ensure soldiers psychological needs are being addressed.

Training: Ensure soldiers are trained appropriately for their tasks.

7. Logistics: Ensure physical well-being of soldiers, weapons, transport.

There's some other interesting stuff at the course site: http://artsandscience.concordia.ca/poli398a/index.html
Lectures 1-3 deal most directly with the principles of war - the seven listed are summarized and explained a bit more in lecture 3 than anywhere else.

Apostrophes don't seem to translate well with the cutting and pasting.

Off the top of my head (and I may have screwed it up - it was 1981 when I learned them)

Selection and maintenance of the aim
Maintenance of morale
Offensive action
Security
Suprise
Concentratin of force
Economy of eefort
Flexibility
Cooperation
Administration

Well, I don't know anything about leadership, but how about this: "The Five Stages of Any Military Endeavour"

1) Great Expectations.

2) Failure

3) Panic

4) Search for a Scapegoat

5) Punishment of the Innocent

6) Reward of  the Unworthy.

The Principles of Leadership

Achieve professional competence.

Appreciate your own strengths and limitations and pursue self-improvement.

Seek and accept responsibility Lead by example.

Make sure that your followers know your meaning and intent, then lead them to the accomplishment of the mission.

Know your soldiers and promote their welfare.

Develop the leadership potential of your followers.

Make sound and timely decisions.

Train your soldiers as a team and employ them up to their capabilities.

Keep your followers informed of the mission, the changing situation and the overall picture.

(CFP 131(1), para 405)

CANADIAN ARMY JOURNAL, VOL 1, NO 6, 1947/48

THE PRINCIPLES OF WAR

The ten Principles of War listed below have been adopted by the Canadian Chiefs of Staff Committee for the use and guidance of the Canadian Armed Services. Defining a principle as a guide to conduct, the following are the principles which must always influence a Commander in war:

1. Selection and Maintenance of the Aim

In the conduct of war as a whole and in every operation of war it is essential to select and clearly define the aim. The ultimate aim is to break the enemy's will to fight. Each phase of the war and each separate operation must be directed towards this supreme aim, but will have a more limited aim, which must be clearly defined, simple and direct. Once the aim is decided, all efforts must be directed to its attainment until a changed situation calls for a re-appreciation and consequently a new aim. Every plan or action must be tested by its bearing on the chosen aim. The Selection and Maintenance of the Aim must be regarded as the "Master" Principle. It has therefore been placed first. The remaining principles are not given in any particular order, since their relative importance will vary according to the nature of the operation in question.

2. Maintenance of Morale

Success in war depends more on moral than on physical qualities. Numbers, armament and resources cannot compensate for lack of courage, energy, determination, skill and the bold offensive spirit which springs from a national determination to conquer. The development and subsequent maintenance of the qualities of morale are, therefore, essential to success in war.

3. Offensive Action

Offensive action is the necessary forerunner of victory; it may be delayed, but until the initiative is seized and the offensive taken victory is impossible.

4. Security

A sufficient degree of security is essential in order to obtain freedom of action to launch a bold offensive in pursuit of the selected aim. This entails adequate defence of vulnerable bases and other interests which are vital to the nation or the armed forces. Security does not imply undue caution and avoidance of all risks, for bold action is essential to success in war; on the contrary, with security provided for, unexpected developments are unlikely to interfere seriously with the pursuit of a vigorous offensive.

5. Surprise

Surprise is a most effective and powerful influence in war, and its moral effect is very great. Every endeavour must be made to surprise the enemy and to guard against being surprised. By the use of surprise, results out of all proportion to the effort expended can be obtained, and in some operations, when other factors are unfavourable, surprise may be essential to success. Surprise can be achieved strategically, tactically or by exploiting new material. The elements of surprise are secrecy, concealment, deception, originality, audacity and rapidity.

6. Concentration of Force

To achieve success in war, it is essential to concentrate superior force, moral or material, to that of the enemy at the decisive time and place. Concentration does not necessarily imply a massing of forces, but rather having them so disposed as to be able to unite to deliver the decisive blow when and where required, or to counter the enemy's threats.

7. Economy of Effort

Economy of effort implies a balanced employment of forces, and a judicious expenditure of all resources with the object of achieving an effective concentration at the decisive time and place.

8. Flexibility

Modern war demands a high degree of flexibility to enable pre- arranged plans to be altered to meet changing situations and unexpected developments. This entails good training, organization, discipline and staff work, and, above all, that flexibility of mind and rapidity of decision on the part of both the Commander and his subordinates which ensures that time is never lost. It calls also for physical mobility of a high order, both strategically and tactically, so that our forces can be concentrated rapidly and economically at decisive places and times.

9. Co-operation

Co-operation is based on team spirit and entails the co- ordination of all units so as to achieve the maximum combined effort from the whole. Above all, goodwill and the desire to co- operate are essential at all levels. The increased interdependence of the services on one another and on the civilian war effort has made co-operation between them of vital importance in modern war.

10. Administration

The administrative arrangements must be designed to give the Commanders the maximum freedom of action in carrying out any plan. Every administrative organization must be simple. Every operational Commander must have a degree of control over the administrative plan within his sphere of command, corresponding to the scope of his responsibilities for the operational plan.

pbi said:
Well, I don't know anything about leadership, but how about this: "The Five Stages of Any Military Endeavour"

1) Great Expectations.

2) Failure

3) Panic

4) Search for a Scapegoat

5) Punishment of the Innocent

6) Reward of   the Unworthy.

Isn't that six?

Haha, I did that a couple days ago....

Since this is becoming a "lists" thread:

Military incompetence involves:

A serious wastage of human resources and failure to observe one of the first principles of war - economy of force.
  A fundamental conservatism and clinging to outworn tradition, an inability to profit from past mistakes (owing in part to a refusal to admit past mistakes).
  A tendency to reject or ignore information which is unpalatable or which conflicts with preconceptions.
  A tendency to underestimate the enemy and overestimate the capabilities of one's own side.
  Indecisiveness and a tendency to abdicate from the role of decision-maker.
  An obstinate persistence in a given task despite strong contrary evidence.
  A failure to exploit a situation gained and a tendency to `pull punches' rather than push home an attack.
  A failure to make adequate reconnaissance.
  A predilection for frontal assaults, often against the enemy's strongest point.
  A belief in brute force, rather than the clever ruse.
  A failure to make use of surprise or deception.
  An undue readiness to find scapegoats for military set- backs.
  A suppression or distortion of news from the front, usually rationalized as necessary for morale or security.
  A belief in mystical forces - fate, bad luck, etc.

Norman F. Dixon, On the Psychology of Military Incompetence, 1976

Haha, I did that a couple days ago....

But....but..how could you do that? I only posted this yesterday.

Cheers

Thanks to crack scientists in a lab in Kingston, there are now 12 principles of leadership.  The originals have all been reworded, so "Lead by example" is no longer a quick and easy answer.

1) Achieve professional competence and pursue self-improvement

2)Clarify objectives and intent

3) Solve problems; make timely decisions

4) Direct; motivate by persuasion and example and by sharing risks and hardships

5) Train individuals and teams under demanding and realistic conditions

6) Build teamwork and cohesion

7) Keep subordinates informed, explain events and decisions

8 ) Mentor, educate, and develop subordinates

9) Treat subordinates fairly; respond to their concerns, represent their interests

10) Maintain situational awareness; seek information; keep current

11) Learn from experience and those who have experience

12) Exemplify and reinforce the miiltary ethos; maintain order and discipline; uphold professional norms

Fire away.  :salute:

(I'll start.  Isn't #12 actually 3 principles?)

Do I have to pen amend the 10 Principles of Leadership that I have hanging in my office now or will they issue a new one?

Frankly, I find the 12 principles wordy and lacking the basics of military writing, those being: accuracy, brevity and clarity.

Of course, what do I know, I'm not a scientist.  :salute:

Would you be so kind as to post the 10?   I've got Wavell's 11

1.   Know yourself and seek self-improvement
2.   Be technically and tactically proficient
3.   See responsibility and take responsibility for your actions
4.   Make sound and timely decisions
5.   Set the example
6.   Know your people and look out for their well-being
7.   Keep your subordinates informed
8.   Develop a sense of responsibility in your subordinates.
9.   Ensure the task is understood, supervised and accomplished.
10.   Build the team.
11.   Employ your unit in accordance with its capabilities

Just think if we all were born leaders there would be no need to have 'Principles of leadership' - we'd all know them already.

The ten principles of leadership I was taught out of CFP 131(1), Para 405

1. Achieve professional compatence.
2. Appreciate your own strengths and limitations and pursue self-improvement.
3. Seek and accept responsibility.
4. Lead by example.
5. Make sure that your followers know your meaning and intent, then lead them to the accomplishment of the mission
6. Know your soldiers and promote their welfare.
7. Develop the leadership potential of your followers.
8. Make sound and timely decisions.
9. Train your soldiers as a team and employ them up to their capabilities.
10. Keep your followers informed of the mission, the changing situation and the overall picture.

m410 said:
Thanks to crack scientists in a lab in Kingston, there are now 12 principles of leadership.  
Was this done by soldiers or group psychology doctorates?

m410 said:
(I'll start.  Isn't #12 actually 3 principles?)
No.  It looks like one principle that could be summarized as "follow & promote the military culture/lifestyle."

They forgot 13: Hold hands and sway during OGrps, shout break before leaving the decicion making circle.

Sorry, once again the system is attempting to fix something that wasn't broken (a la ISCC into CF PLQ and 2B Inf)

My sarcasm is seeping out.

Over.

Seems sort of like (can anyone else remeber this far back?) principles of instruction going from EPICUS to PACICE to ????

Why mess with simplicity, understandability?

milnewstbay said:
Why mess with simplicity, understandability?
Because we need to give a rating for "leading change" on our PERs.

Back