• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Tanker War 2.0

tomahawk6

Army.ca Legend
Inactive
Reaction score
The Iranians deployed sea mines in the past resulting in a short war in the Gulf of Oman.The article has an image showing a mine being removed from a tanker.

https://www.stripes.com/news/middle-east/us-says-iran-removed-unexploded-mine-from-oil-tanker-1.585942

image.jpg

The Iranians don't want to talk so I suspect that some retaliation may be necessary.

Something just doesn't smell right.

For starters, I just don't see what Iran has to gain from this.

Second, limpet mines are supposed to go UNDER a vessel. They're placed their by divers in a stealthy operations. These mines were placed on the hull ABOVE the water line, which makes no sense, but more importantly, how did the crew of the vessel not notice something being placed on their hull? Or, maybe they did; we haven't heard any "official statements" from the crew, have we?

Third, the Iranian have to know just how much of a presence the US has in the area. They're hot headed, but not retarded. Did they really think they could remove the remaining mine (if it was them) without being noticed?

I guess what I'm insinuating is that it wasn't the Iranians, but someone who wants it to look like it was the Iranians... and that does seem like a bit of false flag conspiracy level insinuation... I'm not really saying I believe that's the case, but the narrative doesn't seem to fit a logical examination of the facts so far... at least not yet.

Lumber said:

Second, limpet mines are supposed to go UNDER a vessel. They're placed their by divers in a stealthy operations. These mines were placed on the hull ABOVE the water line, which makes no sense, but more importantly, how did the crew of the vessel not notice something being placed on their hull? Or, maybe they did; we haven't heard any "official statements" from the crew, have we?

Third, the Iranian have to know just how much of a presence the US has in the area. They're hot headed, but not retarded. Did they really think they could remove the remaining mine (if it was them) without being noticed?

I guess what I'm insinuating is that it wasn't the Iranians, but someone who wants it to look like it was the Iranians... and that does seem like a bit of false flag conspiracy level insinuation... I'm not really saying I believe that's the case, but the narrative doesn't seem to fit a logical examination of the facts so far... at least not yet.

Thanks for that, Lumber. I had some doubts about the incidents, including the method of attacks. Being a pongo from a long way back, I decided to not demonstrate my ignorance, but my BS detector was ringing. Maybe it was meant as a demonstration of motive and opportunity, but not of method.

placing mines above the waterline means terror, not destruction and carries the same message.  The Iranians claim that they can shut off traffic whenever they wish and they (if it was them) just proved it.  A cheap message with not oil slicks washing up on their own coastline.

Yes, the seems like a message is being sent.  Next time, the mines will be below the water line.

It's possible the watch was sloppily and allowed a boat to approach unchallenged, so better for insurance purposes to claim a missile attack. A close inspection will pinpoint the likely cause. A small rubber boat could get alongside a slow moving tanker without being seen fairly easily.

Lumber said:

On the other hand the Saudi's would love to drag the US into a shooting war with Iran.

Lumber said:

The Iranians are not monolithic, the regime has competing factions, getting the US to attack might well serve the interests of one of those factions. As for placement, try placing a limpet on a moving ship underwater? Likely they were placed by a team in a small rubber boat at night. The watch would be at best 1 officers and two seaman, with one doing rounds or other tasks, they be watching for larger vessels, fishing boats and up. So placing them would be relatively easy. Having one not go off is bad, as the device would provide a lot of clues of origin, whereas the exploding ones are likely to leave few clues other than explosive residue. So it's not surprising they came back for it. Considering the nonchalant way they removed it, I expect they were familiar with the device.

A bit on what we know, and don't know, from folks who deal with OSINT all the time - shared under the fair dealing provisions of Canada's Copyright Act  ...
Was Iran Behind the Oman Tanker Attacks? A Look at the Evidence
Internet databases confirm much about the incident, but the Trump administration hasn’t provided convincing evidence of Tehran’s culpability.

By Eliot Higgins
Mr. Higgins is the managing director of the investigative collective Bellingcat.
New York Times, 14 June 2019

There has been considerable cynicism worldwide about American claims that the attacks on two oil tankers in the Gulf of Oman on Thursday were conducted by Iran.

Iran has denied the accusation, and on Twitter, the term “Gulf of Tonkin” trended alongside the “Gulf of Oman.”

That historical reference is telling. It was in citing the “Gulf of Tonkin incident” — the North Vietnamese were accused of attacking American destroyers in that gulf in 1964 — that President Lyndon B. Johnson persuaded the Congress to authorize greater American military involvement in Vietnam. Historians have concluded that the attack never happened and Johnson’s ploy is now seen as the quintessential false flag operation.

With tensions rising in the region since attacks on four tankers off the United Arab Emirates in May, understanding what happened and who is to blame is crucial. Could the Gulf of Oman attack be the 21st century version of the Gulf of Tonkin incident?

Thanks to the internet and the range of publicly available information, confirming or denying such an attack has become far easier since the 1960s. A distance of several thousand miles does not mean much today.

Tools and information like satellite imagery that was once only available to intelligence agencies can now be found on everyday tools such as Google Maps. Social media allows far-flung people to share information.

Online databases containing all kinds of information are now available to people anywhere. It is with these databases that we can start with our investigation into what happened in the Gulf of Oman.

Initial reports named the attacked vessels as the Kokuka Courageous and Front Altair. But how can we be sure these names are accurate when we are thousands of miles away with no reporters nearby?

Vessel tracking websites that collect transponder data from thousands of ships from fishing boats to cruise liners across the world in real time allow you to search for vessels and find their current location. Both the Kokuka Courageous and Front Altair could be found on the tracking website MarineTraffic, which showed both vessels at a standstill in the Gulf of Oman. MarineTraffic published the paths of both vessels through the gulf on its Twitter account.

The reports of the attack were followed by images claiming to show damage to both vessels, including a major fire on the Front Altair. It was impossible to read the markings on the vessels in the images but users of the MarineTraffic website were able to help confirm that the ships matched the designs of the two vessels.

That’s because MarineTraffic users photograph vessels and share the pictures on the website. Anyone can see them and verify if the vessel you are looking at is the one it is claimed to be.

Similarly, the Sentinel Hub website publishes imagery taken by its satellites. Soon after the incident in the Gulf of Oman, an image became available showing the Front Altair on fire.

With the incident confirmed, the next question was, what happened to the vessels? The United States Central Command gave one answer, publishing a statement that detailed the activity around the two vessels observed by American naval forces in the area.

The statement included images of the Kokuka Courageous (my colleagues and I checked them against reference images of the ship to confirm the vessel’s identity) that showed a hole on one side of the ship, along with an object on the side of the hull that was described in the statement as a “likely limpet mine.”

Along with the statement and image a video was published showing what was claimed to be an Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps Gashti class patrol boat removing the unexploded limpet mine from the hull of the Kokuka Courageous, the implication being it was Iran that placed the mine there and was recovering evidence of its involvement.

Given the political import and the source of the statement, it is necessary to check the claims made. What can we actually see in the American evidence from the Gulf of Oman?

Identical markings on the side of the Kokuka Courageous above the alleged limpet mine are visible in both the photographs of the vessel and in the video showing its apparent removal by the Gashti patrol boat.

Photographs and video published by Iran’s Press TV network show the same type of patrol boats as part of a ceremony marking the delivery of such vessels to the Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps.

Yet what the videos and photographs published by the United States don’t show us is more important. While the object on the side of the Kokuka Courageous is described as a “likely limpet mine” the images presented aren’t clear enough to verify that.

Nothing presented as evidence proves that the object was placed there by the Iranians. The video shows only that the Iranians chose to remove it for an as yet unknown reason.

This is especially important in light of a statement by Yukata Katada, the president of the operator of the Kokuka Courageous, that the crew had reported that the ship was attacked by a “flying object.” Mr. Katada added, “I do not think there was a time bomb or an object attached to the side of the ship.”

While we cannot be sure whether this is a Gulf of Tonkin-style incident, we can say for certain this is not the slam-dunk evidence that some would like to claim it is. In the escalating conflict between the United States and Iran we have to work on all the information available, not just what one side presents.

milnews.ca said:
A bit on what we know, and don't know, from folks who deal with OSINT all the time - shared under the fair dealing provisions of Canada's Copyright Act  ...

Speaking of the Marine Traffic website, here is a PDF document I put together yesterday afternoon using data from their website. The first two slides shows the tracks of the two ships as they left the Persian/Arabian Gulf and positions when attacked. The third slide shows the positions of the two ships as of yesterday afternoon. The labels and arrows are my additions. You can't tell in the third slide, but there are actually a couple tug boats assisting the ships.

Attachments

I don't like the limpet mine theory all that much.

I am having difficulty with two moving tankers, from two different origin ports in the gulf, being attacked after just completing a straits of Hormuz transit, 51 mins apart, by mines attached to the side of the ship.

I have not yet seen a convincing theory of how the mines got on the ships.

The truth will come out, once the ships get to a port and they can be forensically examined.

Let's say there had been an attack, or two, by an unnamed enemy. What is the better tactic to defend against it? Is it a convoy system, or a blockade, or a combination of both, or what?

Old Sweat said:
Let's say there had been an attack, or two, by an unnamed enemy. What is the better tactic to defend against it? Is it a convoy system, or a blockade, or a combination of both, or what?

The method of defence depends entirely on the method of attack.

Not really enough room there for a convoy and then it's at risk of shorebased Anti-ship missiles for part of the route. If you check out AIS data for the area you can see the inbound route hugs the Iranian coast. Not hard for a "fishing boat" to deploy some rubber boats at night to target a slow moving tanker (current speeds seem to be 7-14kts) plus anchored/stationary ones. With all merchant ship blurting out AIS data, the "fishing boat" would easily be able to pick a target with nothing more than a internet link.

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:52.5/centery:28.2/zoom:7

Prior to the attack on the tankers the Iranians fired a SAM at a US MQ9 Reaper but it missed.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/iranians-fired-missile-at-us-drone-prior-to-tanker-attack-us-official-says/ar-AACTdip?ocid=spartanntp

Back