• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sworn in, summer course Confirmed: After a Long Delay

thatoldfool

Inactive
Reaction score
Although it's debatable as to how many people care that I successfully completed "the recruiting process," I thought I'd post anyway.

After applying for the reserve "direct entry programme for officer" I was turned down at my interview last January on account of what some would say was being "too honest" on my application, but what I would call "setting an honourable standard for an honourable career." I was told I could re-apply in August, and feeling somewhat crushed and dismayed, walked away quite uncertain about any sort of military future.

Nonetheless, I kept running and doing my pushups, and in the fall, re-applied, with the minor change of opting to be an NCM. I got through all the tests, had a successful interview, during which I was told that the past could finally be the past--I had waited the required time, and that, if I was still interested, the army would be glad to have me.

I was sworn in on January 31st, got my military ID, sent off my dog-tag form, have been to my unit several times, and just got the call telling me that my BMQ, SQ, etc, would all definitely be taking place this summer.

It was a long wait, but the wait was also a worthwhile test of my character--would I let a hitch in my plans deflate me, and make me quit? Or would I persevere, and try again, despite failure.

I am now a truly proud member of the Black Watch, in Montreal, and look forward to both improving myself, and doing something good, through the opportunity I've been given.

To all those that are struggling with the process--stick with it. My year of waiting passed quicker than I would have expected, and in the end, I'm glad I told the truth--because if I had not, and had gotten in on a lie, the foundation of what is supposed to be an honourable career would have been nothing but sand...and I wonder if I could sincerely hope to be a good soldier with that kind of start.

So that's my little story. Perhaps I will have the privilege of training with some of you this summer, or maybe even serving with you abroad.

ave atque vale,

-Cincinnatus

Congrats and have fun on your course    ;)

Regards

What did you say on your interview that was too honest?

Like you had been doing I am trying for Deo, but in the regular force, and would try for Ncm infantry should I not be accepted this time.
I have beem merit listed, but have been told I was "average to below average".
Do you have any thoughts or encouragement, being in the same situation yourself?

I have beem merit listed, but have been told I was "average to below average". How about the good luck in getting selected.

Congrats,

We share the same enthusiasm, maybe even "honest history" however,

enjoy it and reap the rewards.

Mike the maritime medic.

PS: keep those dog tags outta "Super Sex".

Back