• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Suggestion‘s to improve the C.F

Spr.Earl

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
Being a Reservist since April 1976 I have seen
so many change‘s,up‘s and down‘s,loss of equipment
(Chinook‘s big mistake!!) etc.

My first 5yrs. were all spent with 3Fd Sqn which then became 1 C.E.R. on class B callout‘s.
After that was time availible due to work.

I have 5yrs left in service of my adopted country
and I‘m very dismayed were our Force‘s are going.

My Suggestion‘s:

#1-Bring back the C.A.F. with all supporting trade‘s.

#2-Intergrate the Reserve Training with Reg Force(Will weed out the weak)were by we will have a better Reserve Force to augment the Reg.‘s which
is becoming a reality more so every day!!

First of all, the CF has to be defined with regards to Canadian foreign policy. If we‘re going to be a peacekeeping and sometime police action military, our needs would be different from those demanded by taking on a pro-active role (think U.S.). The problem here is that it‘s hard to do this with a government that seems to test the winds of international political opinion before it makes a decision. As it stands now, we have been acting as a peacekeeping/making military. If this is Canada‘s direction in foreign policy then the standard "fixes" apply such as: more funding AND effective use of it, higher standards for recruiting and training, strategic airlift, and a highly motivated mobile force (think CAR) that would be on 48 hrs notice to move.

My top five would be this

1) invest more money in training, this includes everything from basic to trades and hire outside trainers where were are short. The faster people learn their trade that faster they actually doing something.

2) improve base living standards and lower rent. Being the CF doesn‘t mean you should pay market rent. There should be some benifits to being in the CF

3)Increase recruiting, the CF should at least 80,000 regs given the number of mission it is on. The increased number will also make it easier to retent people as they will go few overseas missions and that‘s easier on family life.

The above two would help with retention. I think the recruiting standards are fine. Remember this is the standard to get into basic. You shouldn‘t be have be a superman or into sports or be 18 to get in. Once in basic they push you hard to get higher standards.

4) Heavy lift, both fixed wing as in C-17 or Russian. The CF also needs heavy or medium lift helos. Not sure what one‘s I would put the list, but we should look at. From what I‘ve read the US doesn‘t put huge flight hours on their‘s so maybe buying used from them would be good.

5) rapid action force like CAR. But it doesn‘t have to be airboure. That would make it easier to get it funded as we stuck with Liberal gov‘t for near future.

Radiohead,
I guess I‘m tired of seeing 300 pound donut disposal units walking around in cadpat. Why do they make combats that big anyways? And save the PC answer. Anyone can train to pass the physical requirements of BT. It‘s the upkeep that is necessary and indicative of personal discipline. As we have seen from the Americans in Iraq, anyone can end up fighting, not just the combat arms.

Hey no PC answers from me. I had thought you were talking about basic only. I would have to agree with you on the career fitness plan. But on the other hand I don‘t think someone in the support trades should be held to the same fitness standards as someone in the combat arms. People in support trades are there to different things, and are just that support trades, not combat. Yes they can be involed in actual combat and should be trained for that, and meaning standard fitness level will meet that. But then I don‘t think someone who is 300 pound and not over 6‘5" should weight that much and be in the forces.

Its a problem that the whole of society has to deal with. Its only going to get worst, as studies show that with in 10-20 years over 50% of kids in school will be over weight. Not a good thing for society and totally bad for the CF who based their standards fitness level on a standard that by then most people will not be able to meet. Should the CF change the standards... no.

I‘d have to agree that it would be a nice ideal to have everyone so physically fit.

But think about it - we have trouble filling all these support roles with people as it is. Looking at the situation objectively, sure it would be nice to force anyone who works with the military to be as fit as the Combat Arms, but it‘s not really necessary. For non-combat support roles, I think the Fitness Requirements that are in place right now are about right. I personally feel it wouldn‘t hurt to raise them for the Combat Arms, however.

Besides, it‘s a little unreasonable to compare a special outfit to the entire Canadian Forces. I doubt the British Army or Royal Navy expect all their support staff to be in the same physical shape as the Combat Arms. Then again, they don‘t have the same issues such as funding and personnel deficiency as we do, either.

What fitness requirements are there in place for non-combat arms to allow for the 300 pound blobs of fat? I never said that the combat arms were okay either cause I‘ve seen some tubs walking around with infantry cap brasses on their beret. The CF as a whole needs better fitness levels and your moc shouldn‘t dictate how fit you should be. Think of it from another perspective, those walking triple bypass patients are going to be utilizing CF funds in order to deal with their lack of personal discipline sometime in the future. I also think its an embarassment to have these monstrosities walking around a garrison city in uniform. What image does that represent? I can‘t fathom the logic that says the fitness requirements are fine for non-combat arms, right now they are non existent. This is the military, not fat camp (and I bet fat camps have higher standards than we do). I know how hard it can be to stay in shape, I‘m not a marathon running superman myself. I‘ve seen many non-combat arms soldiers who could run me into the ground. But I do have the personal discipline to keep myself in good physical condition and not take that extra fat pill. Which brings up another point, why is there so much garbage being served in the mess anyways?

Let me tell you,my friend,about "fat" people.

Had a CSM in the 2nd who was ,shall we say,
on the large size.Always had a problem with
his weight.We young guns thought of him as
a tub of lard & had little respect for him.

One sunday we decided to play in the hand to
hand combat pit.About 12 of us were testing
each other in a game to see who could stay
in the longest.Open hand attacks & no full
speed punches,down on both knees & you were
out.
I took my guy down & turned to face the
next in line & lo & behold there is the CSM.
All 5‘9" & 225 lbs of him & he is smiling
at me.I had this deer in the headlight look.
He waves me on,i do my level best to take
him out.I threw everything but the kitchen
sink @ him & all he did was keep on smiling.

The next thing i know,i am learning how to
fly.He tossed me at least 15-20 ft thru the air.
No one could beat him,kicked all 12 of us.
We would have followed him into he!! after that.
The man could not run our distances,but he sure
as he!! could kick a$$.Never judge a book
by it,s cover.Just a suggestion.

I think your missing the point, Windwolf. I know many senior infantry NCOs who don‘t look like much, but put a ruck on them and they‘ll march you into the ground (airborne style) and I‘m sure you know a few too. This in no way excuses ALL fat people in the CF from maintaining personal fitness. There‘s a huge difference between 225 pounds of deceiving yet hard earned muscle and 300 pounds of donut yeast, mainly a heart attack at age 40. Yes, looks can be deceiving, a fat guy can hide a 9mm in his belly button.

All joking aside, I don‘t judge people with weight problems as being lazy or inept at their jobs or less knowledgeable about infantry tactics. But you can‘t tell me that someone with an extra 100 pounds around the waist isn‘t a danger to his fellow troops in combat or to his own personal health. There‘s no excuse for obesity in the military. I‘m tired of the CF molding to fit the "needs" of its members, it should be the other way around.

Point taken Gate_guard,but let me think on your
points and i will get back to you on this.

Regards.

I agree that the current standards for fitness are far too low. Even if you are in a support trade you may still be deployed overseas to hotter climates or high elevations(like Kabul). You have to be in good shape to be able to adapt to the temperature and still do your job effectively. If you‘re overweight and out of shape you will probably suffer heat exhaustion and become a casualty. As well, as a member of the CF you have to be prepared for any emergency. Whether a Sig Op or a Clerk or a Mechanic you are a soldier first and you have to be ready for that possibility, however unlikely, that you may have to fight. Otherwise, why even bother to learn how to fire the C7?

Everyone seems to be coming down on fat people...so here‘s a question for you...what about thinner people? Do they fare well?

We faired quite well thank-you,says the
one time"in his youth" skinny, now turning
into a comfortable fit jean wearing ex-grunt.
( 118 to 168 tub of crap)

Underweight people, or really skinny people, have a greater skin surface as compared to actual "content". Thus, heat exhaustion is a huge factor for them. Also, you dont have to run forever. Light fit guys may be able to run forever, but after a stiff breeze they may be gone. I think that all memebers of the CF should have increased physical standards, and the proper support there to make up programs. But you cant compare special units of Britain or the US to our regular force. It doesnt work that way. Sure the US navy seals have to do this and taht, and so should our support trades! lol, kk, slight exageration...alrite im done now.

You quite welcome Null.
I always try to make someones day just a little
surreal.
Now my question to you is,How does my self-image
problem make your day?

And does anyone know how to get my gremlins
back? They have runned away.

...because you claimed to be thin in your youth, yet you succeeded in the infantry. For some reason, I thought wiry guys (such as myself) would not fare well in the trade (perhaps lacking those few extra rolls of buttery goodness for quick energy or what not).

Genetically some people are larger than others. Recent studies have shown that over fat people are not so due to genetics however. So this is an environmental factor, and obviously a discipline factor. After working 10 years in the fitness business as a personal trainer and instructor, I can assure you that consistent exercise coupled with good eating habits (mainly not eating huge all you can eat size portions) will not leave you as some of the posts above imply. You don‘t need to be an athlete...just disciplined. I cant understand why some of the overly huge forces people cant get enough pride together to stay disciplined and look like a soldier. Some of the 20 somethings around the reserve units here are tragically huge....no doubt about it. I dont understand that.

Many of you out there won‘t remeber the B.M.I. indicator test for those who looked over weight.

What it was,the M.O. pinched an inch with a pair of caliper‘s just above the waist and if you were over you went on remedial P.T. and diet and had to improve your physical shape and if it did‘nt work you were released as medicly unfit for service.

But it proved a flop just as cranial measurment in the old day‘s for inteligiance or racial purity,as Windwolf stated about his old C.S.M. he looked like a barrel but!!!
(Windwolf would his name be Cook?)

Yes,the physical training must go back to what it was for male‘s,as for female‘s they have to have their own standerd but not at the exspence of over all training.

In the C.F.,if I remember right, there is a reg. stating you are responsible to keep your self in shape and if not you will get remedial P.T. and diet and I have seen it done.

No it was not Cook.
Will have to check my Ric a dam doo to find
out how to spell his name ( think it was
MacKinnis?)
I remember the B.M.I. Had to do that stupid
test yearly.A total waste of good training time.

Back