• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Spell check dictionary

military granny

Inactive
Reaction score
Gents is there any way to add to this dictionary? It has the CF base Shilo coming up spelt Shiloh.

Spell Check is an American based vocabulary. While Webster's desk top version rests nicely besides a computer. A pet peeve of many teachers including myself is the heavy reliance on "spell check" and the Americanization of our language.

I looked into it a while back and unfortunately it's not as simple as it should be to stray from the "default" dictionary. It's still on my list to re-evaluate though.

Mike,

it may be really complicated, but whenever
you will be at the re-evaluation stage, can
you look into french spell check ?

French is more complex then English :),
and some french posts (mostly by francophones,
sight) just hurt my eyes...

Have all a nice summer ending!

BUMP!

Yes, this is a necro-post, but I felt it necessary to remind people to not rely so much on technology and instead rely on knowledge when posting.  Yes, we will all make spelling errors, but there are times when all of us like to check the spelling of a word here or there.  In today's society, it appears that it's necessary to use spell check, and that's mostly okay, given that even the US and UK agree on how to spell many words the same.  Having said that, our US-based spell-checker here in the milnet world will not recognise "recognise" and instead offer "recognize" (both are acceptable spellings in Canada).
Now, for those who say such silly things as "Spell check doesn't work on my DIN computer", I offer a solution or two.
First, you can copy and paste your post into a MS Word document, select "English (Canadian)" as your default language, and then check it in there.  Then copy and paste from that Word document back into your post, and voila, spell check complete.
The second suggestion is not as easy to do, but it's more accurate.  Print out your post (before posting), and go through it on paper.  On hand have a dictionary.  Make ink amendments as best as you can, and then correct your post on the computer. 

Once either method is done, then no longer can the excuse of "my spell checker is down" be used.  Heck, if both of those suggestions fail, just READ what you have written, rely on your education, and really check it yourself.

That is all. Have a nice day.

To add to Midnight Rambler's post, Firefox users can change their spell-check dictionaries.

The Canadian English Dictionary add-on can be found here: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3653

After installing the add-on you can switch your spell-check dictionary by right clicking in a form field (such as the post reply field) and mousing over 'languages'. To change to Canadian English just make sure that 'English / Canada' is ticked, Also make sure that 'Check Spelling' is checked. In Firefox when you type a word that is not recognized by the currently selected dictionary you can right-click on it and a list of alternatives will appear at the top of the right-click menu.

For IE7 there is an add-on called 'ieSpell' which contains UK / US / & Canadian English dictionaries. Not sure if ieSpell will work in IE8 but it may, perhaps someone that uses IE7/8 on a regular basis can provide more help as I primarily use Firefox.

http://www.iespell.com/

Speaking of spell check,

since I was able to change my language from "English (not finding the French option)"
to "French", I have no access to the spell checker in English. It gives me French words!

So, M. Bobbit, you can croos the "will look into French dictionnary" ( 1n, 2n?) from your  list...

Now, I have to find a way to spell check myself in English, as I'm on Camino, and there is
no Firefox on this lovely Mac.

Yrys said:
Speaking of spell check,

since I was able to change my language from "English (not finding the French option)"
to "French", I have no access to the spell checker in English. It gives me French words!

So, M. Bobbit, you can croos the "will look into French dictionnary" ( 1n, 2n?) from your  list...

Now, I have to find a way to spell check myself in English, as I'm on Camino, and there is
no Firefox on this lovely Mac.

This is straight from the Camino Documentation FAQ

Q. I read and write in several languages; how do I switch which language is used by the spell-checker?

A. On Mac OS X 10.5, Ctrl-click in any web page text field and select the appropriate language from the Spelling Language sub-menu.

On Mac OS X 10.3.9 and 10.4, because of limitations of supporting code that Camino cannot change, a somewhat-complex series of steps is required to switch which dictionary the Mac OS X spell-checker uses to check text in Camino. In many cases, however, the system will choose the correct dictionary automatically. If it does not, follow these steps:

1. Type a word in the search field in the toolbar.
  2. Ctrl-click on the word.
  3. In the context menu, open the Spelling sub-menu and choose the Spelling… item.
  4. In the Spelling panel that appears, select the appropriate dictionary from the pop-up menu and close the panel.

If the languages you use are among the languages supported in the Mac OS X spell-checker by default, you might consider selecting the “Multilingual” dictionary, which will check spelling using all of the default dictionaries.

Hopefully this helps you Yrys

Back