• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Some Infantry Questions

Kenada

Inactive
Reaction score
Just a couple quickies as i have just applied.
How many people here have been accepted as an infantryman and wear glasses? is it hard to deal with in the field?
I have applied but have no previous military oriented experience such as cadets, will this hinder my application?
If i am accepted does anyone know what the chances are that i would be deployed overseas in Afghanistan?

1.  There are soldiers in the infantry who deal effectively with having to wear prescription glasses in the field.
2.  No.

Michael O'Leary said:
If you join either infantry or armour, you will get posted to a unit after your training.  It may be the unit of your choice, or it may be where the Army needs you most. So, here's the formula:

A.  If you start now, and estimate a year for recruiting and six months for training
B.  And you hope that the planned cycle of unit rotations overseas doesn't change, and pick a trade based on that
C.  And get posted to your unit of choice.
D.  And land in one of the companies/squadrons designated for a tour.
E.  And the government doesn't change its mind on the mission.
F.  And the Army doesn't change its mind on Task Force structure.
G.  And you "DAG Green" all the way through the pre-deployment training cycle.
H.  And you don't piss off your chain of command and get dumped to the rear party for being a dink, or some other technical term for administrative or disciplinary burden.
I.    And there's not another election that pulls us out of Afghanistan (or wherever) at the last moment.
J.    And you don't get appendicitis two days before your departure.
K.    And the sun doesn't go nova.

Then:-

You might get an operational tour within a three-year basic engagement.

I've been an Infantryman for 30 years and when I joined I wore relatively thick glasses.  It was only a bother on rainy days in the field, but it was a similar bother on rainy days on civvy street as well.  About 8 years in I switched to long wear contacts (because I wasn't much of a "chick magnet" wearing Coke bottle glasses) and found that they worked fine as long as I kept them clean .  Once I learned that tear gas will ruin contact lenses pretty fast, I began carrying a second set with me.  About eight years ago I had LASIK surgery, which corrected my vision to 20/20.  Best investment I ever made.

Not having any military experience won't hurt your application for the Infantry.  It's a very unique trade within the CF.   If you're not sure about the CF as a whole or the Infantry specifically, why not join a Reserve unit so you can "test-drive" your chosen profession?  The time and some qualifications are creditable towards a transfer to the Regular Force and you have the opportunity for tours.   No matter whether you go Regular or Reserve Force, just work on getting yourself into the best possible physical condition. That will help.... a lot!

As an Infantry soldier, the chances that you will go "somewhere dangerous" during your career are pretty good.  In that you haven't joined yet, the chances of going to Afghanistan before the current mandate ends in February 2009, are not so good.

Back