• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"Smitherman: Firefighters should swallow EMS"

mariomike

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Mentor
Reaction score
In today's National Post:
"proposed a friendly takeover of Toronto Emergency Medical Service by Toronto Fire":
http://news.nationalpost.com/2010/06/22/smitherman-firefighters-should-swallow-ems/

One more reason I am thankful to be retired.
Come back, Mel. All is forgiven!

It happened to New York City:
http://www.fdnyemswebsite.com/

When I was doing my ambulance ride-along in TO, most times, the fire department was at the scene before EMT.

Pretty much the entire United States requires all Firefighters to be at least have their EMT-Basic, if not their EMT - Paramedic. Quite often the EMT - Paramedic must be completed after being hired on anyway.

In fact EMT-Basic is a requisite ticket to have in order to start some Firefighter Academies. Although useless in the eyes of Ontario I took my Basic just to be a more compotent First Responder just incase things changed, like this proposal for example , and just incase I got hired on. Glad I've stepped away from it now, my life is this new path with the CF, but I agree with guy.

Most of the calls are medical. It makes sense. FDNY & FDNY EMS (minus their ridiculous wages) have a good system from what I saw all the times Ive been there but the city has more private or FDNY sponsored buses out on the road than actual FDNY EMS. As long as their pay scales are not looking to be adopted this is a good thing in my mind.

However The City of Houston, Texas balances it best. You either hire on and work only EMS for a set amount of years straight or spend your time rotating from Fire to EMS, and you must attain Paramedic level with HFD.

:2c:

PS im sure some 'Old Hat' (and thats said with respect) will boot my *** for sayin all that...but its the business of saving lives why not equip them with that knowledge?

mariomike said:
One more reason I am thankful to be retired.

MM,

I am a complete outsider-looking-in on this one, but out of curiosity why would one of either (EMS / Firefighter) be against it?

If it's just a matter of Firefighters taking on more tasks without more resources and EMS guys losing their jobs then of course it's a bad idea, but what if it could be done like a merger? 

Shared residences?  Shares resources (general purpose vehicles, etc)?  Shared training?  Shared chains of command / human resources?

Would you be for it if they each kept their own identity but got rid of redundancies?

Purely for discussion sake.

Petamocto.
I appreciate that you ask these questions. We really are just a small fish in a big political pond.
Thankfully, the Toronto Paramedic Association, and the president of the union ( even though I am no longer a member of either ) have already issued statements to condemn this, this....thing:

"The paramedics’ resistance to a merger is no surprise. Mr. Smitherman based his policy on a 2008 discussion paper by the Ontario Association of Fire Chiefs and the Ontario Professional Fire Fighters Association, which advocated integrating the departments and simultaneously dispatching paramedics and firefighters to life-threatening medical emergencies."
"Smitherman has the support of the Ontario Association of Fire Chiefs and the Ontario Professional Fire Fighters’ Association."
Big Surprise.

"Toronto has five to six fire stations for every ambulance station. Retraining firefighters would be difficult, since paramedics must spend two full years at community college."
Roberta Scott, Toronto Paramedic Association

"While the president of the Toronto Professional Fire Fighters’ Association is open to working more closely with paramedics, representatives of the city’s paramedics would fight it tooth and nail.":
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/toronto/smitherman-would-blend-paramedic-firefighting-services/article1614098/
http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/archive/June2010/23/c7785.html

“I think it’s a rather clumsy way of admitting that we don’t have enough paramedics on the road,” said Mark Ferguson, a paramedic and president of the Canadian Union of Public Employees Local 416."
“Why would George Smitherman commit to sending four firefighters and a half-a-million dollar pumper to a medical call when in fact he could achieve the same thing by sending two fully qualified paramedics to the call?”:
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/827127--smitherman-combine-fire-and-ems

It is the international fire union that started the push:
"Our next frontier is Canada." And, their General President spells out why:
http://www.iaff.org/03News/061203has.html

But, when I read the news yesterday, "swallowing" being the word used, as a pensioner, it was the intangibles that came to my mind.
Even though decades younger than myself, I suspect that you, as a young serving officer of a proud regiment, might feel the same way. It's the history of your organization,
http://www.torontoems.ca/main-site/about/history.html
and the guys
http://www.torontoems.ca/main-site/about/history-files/tree.html
you had the pleasure of working with, not the political B.S. that you remember at times such as this.

Okay thank you for that detailed reply.  There is somewhat of a parallel discussion going on with our reserve regiments because people in the upper offices on the outside have all these good "common sense" ways to save money (that actually do make practical sense), but when you mention things like history and pride I understand it more.  Reserve regiments fight it the same way to save their history because even though they may parade 10 people on a Tuesday night, they had a former member earn a Victoria Cross and they are fanatical about not losing that link.

My next question though is whether or not the Paramedics actually have anyone significantly powerful (other than Unions that a lot of people don't like) enough to do anything about it?  Some generic Reserve regiment facing amalgamation might have all sorts of former mayors and prominent local business owners in their pocket as honourary members of their mess and can deploy them as necessary.

Two things I really don't understand about the situation being discussed:

1 - The ratio they give of fire stations to EMS halls is completely out of whack of what I would think it would be (and more than likely explains why the common perception is that a fire truck always gets there first.  I would think that people require EMS far more than fire fighting services, so as an outsider one could think that the ratio should be the other way and there should be 5-6 Ambulance ports for every fire hall.

2 - If they were co-located, why would one of each get sent to every call?

Historic affiliations aside, if they were merged/co-located, why wouldn't they just send the assets that are likely required?  If there was an ambulance parked at every fire hall, and one got a call for a kid found in a pool, what sense at all does it make to deploy an expensive fire truck to that location?

I'm now going back to read all of your links in more depth.

Added - From what I'm seeing, I am only seeing drama when there is talk about the two services being merged, but not so much of an argument being put up against the co-location idea.  I don't see what would be wrong logistically with putting them in the same buildings, and nobody would have to lose their identity but now you have one set of hydro bills to pay, etc.  The Reserves could do the same thing by parading in the same buildings, but in that case it results in troops having to drive farther instead of this case where in theory you could get the EMS pers closer to where they may be needed.

Just medics getting the shaft as per normal.

MM, I am one firefighter who has never enjoyed the idea of integration.

For those that already serve in integrated departments, fine, have fun, I know several guys who do this and all are happy with it (even if they spend their time trying to get OFF the ambulance) But I see those trying to do so now just trying to bolster union numbers and cut budgets. Somewhere a level of service will be lowered, not heightened.

When the band-aids went on strike here years ago EHS asked the vollies to run the ambulances for them. In all cases but one (one where the ambulance was actually needed) EHS was told to pound sand into several orifices. Solidarity means something even across the services.

In Nova Scotia we co-respond with the medics mostly to provide muscle when it's a bigger patient or someone combative. We enjoy a wonderful relationship with them during calls, training sessions and public education events that I would never want to see compromised. I tease the medics all the time becase, for 20 bucks an hour, it hardly seems worth it to me. I know, I know, they love it, I just do not understand the lack of parity - and I likely never will.

Red Deer, Alta has been using Fire=medics for quite a few years with no problems

http://www.reddeer.ca/City+Government/City+Services+and+Departments/Emergency+Services/Become+a+FireMedic/Firemedic+Requirements.htm

Petamocto said:
My next question though is whether or not the Paramedics actually have anyone significantly powerful (other than Unions that a lot of people don't like) enough to do anything about it?

Major-General Richard Rohmer is Honourary Chief of Toronto EMS:
http://www.torontoems.ca/main-site/about/history-files/heraldic-grant.html

But, nobody with any political muscle. That's expensive. Certainly we have nothing to compete with FIREPAC - Canada ( Fire - Political Action Committee ):
http://www.iaff.org/canada/firepac/index.htm

Police, Fire and Paramedics in Toronto all belong to unions. Police and Fire call their's associations.
Paramedics belong to the "Outside Workers Union" ( Welders, Garbagemen, etc. ). We are no use to them as a strike weapon since the Essential Service Agreement ( ESA ) of 2001:
http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/statutes/english/elaws_statutes_01a10_e.htm
Unlike Police and Fire, Paramedics are not considered an Essential Service.
Ambulance ESA is what lead to the great garbage strike in Toronto last summer.
But, from 1972-2002 ( ESA came in 2001 ) Metro Ambulance was their "Atomic Bomb". Garbage trucks used to pull over ambulances to remind us of that fact- not too sublety either. Said so in the papers. They used us to scare the public into giving in to their demands. We were just used as pawns by the union until the next contract negotiations. Metro was spared an outside workers strike for those three decades. Then, with ESA, came a small strike in 2002, followed by a big one in 2009.
In 1972, Local 43 ( Metro ) voted 97% to take ambulance out on strike with them. First time that ever happened ( as far as I know ) And they did too!. The bitterness from the public over that lasted for years. For almost 40 years now, we have been trying, without sucess, to be declared an Essential Service. Just like police and fire.

Petamocto said:
1 - The ratio they give of fire stations to EMS halls is completely out of whack of what I would think it would be (and more than likely explains why the common perception is that a fire truck always gets there first. 

That was Roberta.  :)
There are about 80 firehouses and 40 ambulance stations in Toronto.
The ratio of Firefighters to Paramedics in Toronto is about 3100 : 850.

But, the point to remember is that it is very unlikely the ambulance will respond from station. Mobile Deployment is the method used in High-Performance EMS. That is, the ambulance will standby at "walk and don't walk" until sent, which usually is not long. It's all about Unit Hour Utilization UHU. Toronto, like many other cities, will likley have Central Book on Stations CBOS in the future. That means, instead of 40 ambulance stations, the city will have four CBOS. Best way to describe the idea is like terminals for bus drivers.
It is also known as System Status Management SSM. Mobile Deployment eliminates "Chute ( not shoot ) Time. Chute Time is the time taken for Paramedics to leave the ambulance station after being notified of a
call. Also referred to as "reaction time". ie: Just drop it into gear, and put the pedal on the metal.
I've seen some funny things happen at at 0400 with that!  ;D ( Don't park near water! )

Petamocto said:
I would think that people require EMS far more than fire fighting services, so as an outsider one could think that the ratio should be the other way and there should be 5-6 Ambulance ports for every fire hall.

:worms:

Petamocto said:
2 - If they were co-located, why would one of each get sent to every call?

Duplication never used to happen. People have become used to it, but they used to ask us, "I called the Paramedics, why did they send a fire engine?"
Do the benefits of sending a fire apparatus in tandem with an ambulance outweigh increased risk a collision, or a "wake accident"?
Also, as I said, the ambulance is not likely to be in station. Of course, the Emergency Medical Dispatchers EMDs know where they are at all times.

Petamocto said:
I don't see what would be wrong logistically with putting them in the same buildings, and nobody would have to lose their identity but now you have one set of hydro bills to pay, etc. 

There is no great need for ambulance stations, because, like I said, they are little more than places to park your PMV and a locker. Your office is the street.
Funny thing, they are better now, but if I were to tell you of the places that we called "ambulance stations" you would never believe me. Not in a million years. But, we had a lot of fun anyway.

Toronto Fire and EMS share the same HQ at 4330 Dufferin St., as well as some station properties. But, in all cases ( administration, communication and operations, fleet Maintenance, planning and operational support, and materials management/logistics ) they are separated physically by brick walls. Same thing at the Academy. Both services operate independently.
For example, there are combined fire and EMS stations. The crews are literally segregated separated by brick walls. Each department has their own truck drivers who deliver necessities such as toilet paper and soap etc.

"FDNY was also hoping that EMS (which has a large number of women and minorities) would solve FDNY's racial problem (The New York City Fire Department was about 94% white male at the time, and the Federal Government was looking into why it was that way.)":
http://www.fdnyemswebsite.com/

Larry Strong said:
Red Deer, Alta has been using Fire=medics for quite a few years with no problems

http://www.reddeer.ca/City+Government/City+Services+and+Departments/Emergency+Services/Become+a+FireMedic/Firemedic+Requirements.htm

A lot of rural services do that and it works for them because it gives them the combined manpower to get the job done. Not all firefighters and EMS personnel want to work in a rural area so it can be tougher to get people to work out there. In the larger metropolitan areas, it's just redundant. Yes, all fire has medically trained members, but why send a firefighter to do what a paramedic/EMT has to come and do anyways?

IMO, EMS doesn't get the funding that it needs to properly accomplish what it needs to do. I don't think that integrating Fire and EMS will make that better.

Scott said:
I tease the medics all the time becase, for 20 bucks an hour, it hardly seems worth it to me. I know, I know, they love it, I just do not understand the lack of parity - and I likely never will.

Hi Scott-
Paramedics do ok here.
The Sunshine List shows one ( a Supervisor ) made $225,218.36 with Taxable Benefits of $723.84 last year.
http://www.fin.gov.on.ca/en/publications/salarydisclosure/2010/munic10b.html

( The rank structure is Paramedic > Supervisor > Manager > Deputy Chief > Chief )

Sure, I recall you posting that another time. But that would be a rather large exception rather than the rule, yeah?

And that is Toronto.

There is not much in the way of parity elsewhere...which makes an interesting argument for amalgamation of the services. A fire/medic is paid what a fire/medic is and that's just it.

The EMS world is one that i used to be involved in and would love to be again one day, but here in Alberta (specifically in St. Albert which is just north west of Edmonton) EMS integration has been a way of life for quite some time. Granted it is a much smaller service than TO, if a call comes in that needs medics than they are dispatched, if a  call comes in that is fire or extracation based than fire is dispatched, and if they need both then off they go. When the scene changes(as they can often tend to do) than any EMT of MEdic can throw on a jacket and grab a hose or vice versa.  Moral of the story is that the people who do it here have no issues.  I believe it is a much harder topic to sell to larger services(Edmonton has been fighting it tooth and nail for some time as  i understand) if some one in edmonton EMS or fire feels im wrong please put me back in lane.  Like i said im no longer involved in the work but that was the prevailing attitude when i left!!

RTG

:2c: :cdn:

readytogo said:
I believe it is a much harder topic to sell to larger services(Edmonton has been fighting it tooth and nail for some time as  i understand) if some one in edmonton EMS or fire feels im wrong please put me back in lane.  Like i said im no longer involved in the work but that was the prevailing attitude when i left!!

"Both Calgary and Edmonton amalgamated their EMS and Fire Services and ended up going back to separate services because it did not benefit their citizens, no more lives were saved and the move resulted in a much higher cost to the tax payers.":
http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/archive/June2010/23/c7785.html

"It took Winnipeg a decade of bitter fighting with both unions to integrate the departments.":
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/toronto/smitherman-would-blend-paramedic-firefighting-services/article1614098/

If the government is sincere about helping the people of Toronto, they will make their Paramedics an Essential Service.  When Mr. Smitherman was Minister of Health, I don't recall him saying anything on that subject.

Scott said:
Sure, I recall you posting that another time. But that would be a rather large exception rather than the rule, yeah?

And that is Toronto.

There is not much in the way of parity elsewhere...which makes an interesting argument for amalgamation of the services. A fire/medic is paid what a fire/medic is and that's just it.

He put in an exceptional amout of overtime to achieve that. He does most every year. But, it goes to show what you can achieve if you are willing to work the overtime. And, voluntary O.T. is not offerred by seniority. Overtme is one of the few things on the job not affected by seniority. So, even if you have only been on the job since coffee-break, O.T. is divided equitably between yourself and the most senior Paramedics. In fact, the senior people are most likely to refuse O.T. because we got old and tired.

"Fire-medics":
I have read of "Fire-medics" on here, but I have never heard it mentioned in Toronto, except in jest. It has an exciting ring to it but, but...
You can train train 800 Paramedics as Firefighters. It only takes 12 to 16 weeks.
"Training tends to vary between approximately 12 and 16 weeks":
http://www.toronto.ca/fire/recruitment/faq.htm#a12

It would probably take less time because they could skip the first-aid, and already being City employees, could skip all the Corporate Policy lectures, administrative processing etc.

There is also the Class-F licence. It doesn't sould like a big thing, and usually is not, but I have heard of a lot of hassles involving getting, and keeping, that particular class of licence than any other.

But, why put an ambulance out of service to upstaff a fire truck?
Training 3100 Firefighters as Paramedics would be different. It's a two-year full-time program at the college level. How many would have the education required for entrance?
Also, their union fought for an won 24-hour tours. That's fine for Firefighters, but, as a matter of public safety, would be impossible for Paramedics.

P.S.
I should like to add for the benefit of younger readers that the "Mel" I referred to was, of course, none other than our first Megamesscity Mayor Mel Lastman, ( please see attached pic ) It was too late to add his last name to the post.

If the IAFF and the Fire Union are for it then you know it's a bad idea.  These bodies have done an exceptional job of making the public believe that firefighters are absolutely necessary and that in order to be safe you need to have a fire station, filled with firefighters on every block.  The whole reason why fire wants this is becuase their call numbers are falling, dramatically.  And they know that numbers look good to municipal politicians who sign their cheques.  They've done a brilliant job of this, and have been doing so for years.  Just go into any children's clothing store and I guarantee that you'll find at least one piece of clothing that looks like  stylized bunker gear with the words "Mommy's little hero" written on it. 

Does having fire attend calls actually make a difference?  In the majority of calls, no.  They have no medical training, they don't know how to do proper assessments and they don't know how to treat the patient.  And this is not a slag against them.  They're firefighters, not paramedics, they should be expected to do my job, just like I shouldn't be expected to grab a hose and run in a burning building. 

The fire-medic model is quite possibly one of the dumbest models ever proposed for emergency medical care.  All it does is stop a clock, Paramedic Response Units (single medic SUVs/fly cars) do that just as well and for significantly less, and I dislike PRUs, particularly when i'm working it.

Here's a brilliant idea, how about  increasing the funding of EMS so services can hire the right number of medics and have enough trucks on the road so there isn't a 12 minute response time.  You can take the money from fire... Unfortunately this won't happen becuase you have morons who are at the top who've chugged the kool-aid that the IAFF has offered.

Smitherman, you sir are a total moron.

edited to fix a couple grammatical errors and typos (ie: should have proof read)

Sheerin said:
If the IAFF and the Fire Union are for it then you know it's a bad idea.  These bodies have done an exceptional job of making the public believe that firefighters are absolutely necessary and that in order to be safe you need to have a fire station, filled with firefighters on every block.  The whole reason why fire wants this is becuase their call numbers are falling, dramatically.  And they know that numbers look good to municipal politicians who sign their cheques. They've done a brilliant job of this, and have been doing so for years.  Just go into any children's clothing store and I guarantee that you'll find at least one piece of clothing that looks like  stylized bunker gear with the words "Mommy's little hero" written on it. 

This started happening years ago. Agreed, by the way.

Does having fire attend calls actually make a difference?  In the majority of calls, it's not in the least.  They have no medical training, they don't know how to do proper assessments and they don't know how to treat the patient.  And this is not a slag against them.  They're firefighters, not paramedics, they should be expected to do my job, just like I shouldn't be expected to grab a hose and run in a burning building. 

Care to fill us in on what/where you are basing this broad statement on? Because where I come from the opposite is true. Fire attends, normally beats EMS, and provides care that they are trained to and are mandated to provide, by EMS, in a tiered system. I am not trying to start a bunfight here but you've made a pretty brash statement that I feel is not 100% true. Perhaps in major centers but we all do not live in the center of the universe.

The fire-medic model is quite possibly one of the dumbest models ever proposed for emergency medical care.  All it does is stop a clock, Paramedic Response Units (single medic SUVs/fly cars) do that just as well and for significantly less, and I dislike PRUs, particularly when i'm working it.

As mentioned before, there are places where it does work well. Now, as I have stated, my buddies who are EMT/Firefighters, do their elvel best to get out of any shift on the waaaambulance to stay on the engine but that's neither here nor there. Perhaps the difference is that I am speaking about places with rather large tax bases.

Here's a brilliant idea, how increasing the funding of EMS so services can hire the right number of medics and have enough trucks on the road so there isn't a 12 minute response time.  You can take the money from fire... Unfortunately this won't happen becuase you'll have morons who are at the top who've chugged the kool-aid that the IAFF has offered.

Agreed on both

And this is a fireman saying it.

Edited to add: anyone else being driven completely batty by the buggered up post box? Mike has been chasing it but I still get it and it almost drives me to fits when it starts

Care to fill us in on what/where you are basing this broad statement on? Because where I come from the opposite is true. Fire attends, normally beats EMS, and provides care that they are trained to and are mandated to provide, by EMS, in a tiered system. I am not trying to start a bunfight here but you've made a pretty brash statement that I feel is not 100% true. Perhaps in major centers but we all do not live in the center of the universe.

I'm a PCP with a large urban service in Southern Ontario (not Toronto EMS). Where I work fire is tiered on all SOB, unconscious/ decrease consciousness, chest pain, major trauma, VSA, and any other call the dispatchers at CACC think fire might be useful.  They typically beat us to calls as they have many bases and a (significantly) lower call volume. 
They do not have medical training, rather what they have is advanced fire aid training.  There is a significant difference, at least from my perspective.  When they arrive before us they typically do a good job, but they are significantly limited in what they can do, particualrly when they're there without EMS.  There's also different crews that do different jobs.  Some fire guys are great, they'll have gotten the patients medications, and OHIP card and get a basic history.  Others aren't so great.
I've done major trauma's where it was nice having a few extra pairs of hands available so I could focus on other things.  So please don't take my comments as me trying to disparage fire. 
Overall I'd say my interactions with fire have been positive, but that doesn't change the fact that their presence on medical calls is usually unnecessary. 

As mentioned before, there are places where it does work well. Now, as I have stated, my buddies who are EMT/Firefighters, do their elvel best to get out of any shift on the waaaambulance to stay on the engine but that's neither here nor there. Perhaps the difference is that I am speaking about places with rather large tax bases.

I would suggest that it doesn't work well if the firefighters view being put on the ambulance as being less desirable than being on an engine.  I would imagine the efforts they go to to get off the ambulance surpass the efforts put into patient care and staying current on the science of paramedicine. 

Sheerin said:
Unfortunately this won't happen becuase you'll have morons who are at the top who've chugged the kool-aid that the IAFF has offered.

The Kool-Aid is sweet, Sheerin.
The International Association of Firefighters IAFF is number 10 on Washington's Top 20 PAC Contributors to Candidates, 2009-2010:
http://www.opensecrets.org/pacs/toppacs.php
http://www.opensecrets.org/pacs/lookup2.php?strID=C00029447

"What is a PAC?":
http://www.opensecrets.org/pacs/pacfaq.php

( For discussion of IAFF FIRE-PAC Canada, please see Reply #9 )

Sheerin said:
I'm a PCP with a large urban service in Southern Ontario (not Toronto EMS). Where I work fire is tiered on all SOB, unconscious/ decrease consciousness, chest pain, major trauma, VSA, and any other call the dispatchers at CACC think fire might be useful.  They typically beat us to calls as they have many bases and a (significantly) lower call volume. 
They do not have medical training, rather what they have is advanced fire aid training.  There is a significant difference, at least from my perspective.  When they arrive before us they typically do a good job, but they are significantly limited in what they can do, particualrly when they're there without EMS.  There's also different crews that do different jobs.  Some fire guys are great, they'll have gotten the patients medications, and OHIP card and get a basic history.  Others aren't so great.
I've done major trauma's where it was nice having a few extra pairs of hands available so I could focus on other things.  So please don't take my comments as me trying to disparage fire. 
Overall I'd say my interactions with fire have been positive, but that doesn't change the fact that their presence on medical calls is usually unnecessary. 

I have folks who'd disagree but the demographics we're speaking about are like comparing apples to bowling balls and I'll concede that you know what you're speaking of for your geographic area.

I would suggest that it doesn't work well if the firefighters view being put on the ambulance as being less desirable than being on an engine.  I would imagine the efforts they go to to get off the ambulance surpass the efforts put into patient care and staying current on the science of paramedicine. 

I think that is a little unfair. My buddies moan about the "blood box" because it's busier than the engines. Being that they are professional and dedicated I do not think it takes away from their level of service.

Back