• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

signing up

douglas517

Inactive
Reaction score
I`m 17, 18 in a couple weeks.  I`d love to join the army.  Where do I start? ex: I have the forms, do I sign up as ncm or officer? what is the difference? All i have is high school diploma so what would I sign up as and how would that affect my pay scale? Any info appreciated.

There's a lot of info here, and you need to start by going to the recruiting centre. Most, if not all trades are closed until 1 Apr 11.

Also if you just go to forces.ca and look around you will find alot of the answers you want, since you only have you GED you would be a ncm, a person who is an officer has a university education.  There is a .pdf on the recruiting website with the pay scale for both, but yes the best thing you can do is go into a recruiting office or if that is not available to you, use the live chat option when they are online, they can help you also.

douglas517,

Relax, you'll have plenty of time to read everything here on the current recruiting situation, and to explore the Canadian Forces recruiting site to learn about enrollment plans and opportunities.  Right now almost every trade is closed and for those you can't even start the paperwork until next April.

Start by skimming the threads in the recruiting section, read the ones that catch your eye throughly.  You're not the first to come here and you'll have to try very hard to ask a question that's original.

Go through the CF Recruiting website and start to narrow down the types of trades that interest you.  Then search for more info on those trades here - don't just ask - use the search.

PROTIP - Google site-specific search using site:army.ca in the search parameters with your search terms.

Once you've done all that, and visited the Recruiting Centre to see about what plans you are interested in, and to find out if they are even open for applications at this time, then you'll be ready to start asking specific questions about the few trades you are interested in.

Welcome to Milnet.ca

Milnet.ca Staff

With a high school diploma, your options are somewhat limited.

Officer, in the broadest of strokes, are the leadership responsible for, among other things, planning, preparation, and administration.  Junior officers will join the fray as troop/platoon commanders, but as they progress up in more senior positions and rank, they become more responsible for commanding a desk than troops.  To become an officer, an applicant either requires a university degree (DEO) or must be willing to pursue one (CEOTP or ROTP).  Pay as an officer cadet attending university is about half that of a private's pay.  However, the highest incentive as captain presently sits around $93,000 a year.  Most officers able to qualify in their trade will eventually become captain.

NCM's, more or less, execute the will of officers.  NCM's are an integral part of the command structure, but more or less fall under the command of officers.  NCM's make up the meat of a troop/platoon, and as they progress in senior positions and rank, remain in the platoon structure for the majority of their careers.  To become an NCM, one does not require post secondary education (but possessing one does not prevent an individual from applying and not possessing one doesn't neccessarily hinder an applicant).  Corporals top out at around $56,000 a year.  Most soldiers able to qualify in their trade will become corporals within about 4 years.

Back