• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Signal Operator

dennispeters

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello
This is my first post and I'm glad to find such an informative message board!I applied for the Canadian Forces in  mid January and followed up by visiting the Recuiting Office in Halifax,Nova Scotia on January 26th,2007.I'm glad I did that because some of my application information I required was missing ,Offical High School/University transcripts.I just fiqured what I accomplished in University would have "trumped" High School...Guess not! ( word of advise to the younger members of this board>Study...What you do is High School can follow you around even at age 46!!!!)Anyway I pleased to report I received a call and a follow up letter to take the aptitude Test,Medical and Interview on Feburary 12th,2007! That's pretty quick in my opinion!! :) I wrote down two areas of interest: Air Navigator and AeroSpace Control...Air Navigator is apparantly taken so that has left me with AeroSpace Control.I have taken the last week off  from work to prepare for the aptitude test and interview and during this time I have reviewed the opportunities available and have now decided  Signal Operator would more be of interest to me.I have a BA Degree and many years of Technical Training...Electrical/Mechanial in the recreational industry.My question is:Now that I have changed my mind on the positioin I'm seeking will this affect my interview on Monday???Are interviews slots a reflection of the the field you have applied ?Since I have a University Degree/Electrical/Mechanial with 20 work experience....will I still have to do the Apitude test for the Signal Operator position?What actually does IN DEMAND mean? and why is there a signing bonus and would I qualify for it? I am prepared for the apitude test but is there any advantage to writing it if it is not necessary???? I hope these question are not too specific  Thanks

What a jumble of letters, poor grammar, construction, and sentence structure.  Very hard to read what you have written.  I really wish that our Education System would educate people.  So many are totally illiterate, that they have problems communicating with others.  If you can't communicate with others, then you will not make a good Signal Operator.  Being able to communicate ideas clearly is what that job is all about.

I wholeheartedly agree with George.

Q1: Now that I have changed my mind on the positioin (sic) I'm seeking will this affect my interview on Monday???

Yes.

Q2: Are interviews slots a reflection of the the field you have applied?

Not sure what you mean by interview slots.  Do you mean do they schedule interviews dependent on the field you've applied for?  If so, then no, not to the best of my knowledge.

Q3: will I still have to do the Apitude (sic) test for the Signal Operator position?

Yes, everbody must do the CFAT regardless of position they are applying for.

Q4: What actually does IN DEMAND mean?

It means the position is in demand, as in the CF desires to recruit people into that trade.  In some cases, this means there could be a recruitment bonus for the successful applicant, or some other perk.  Talk to the CFRC for more details.

Q5a: why is there a signing bonus

Wow... you've a degree and 20 years experience and you can't figure this one out.  It is an enticement to get people to fill the desired position. 

Q5b: and would I qualify for it?

As to whether you qualify for it or not is done on an individual by individual case.  Apply and the CFRC will let you know.

Q6: I am prepared for the apitude (sic) test but is there any advantage to writing it if it is not necessary?

As above, you must write it.

Dear George
I enjoyed you comments whole hearted and I will in the future try harder to proper communicate my position. :)

Dear Leon
I thank you for the taking the time and answering my poorly structured questions.I will try harder in the future to express myself more clearly. :)

Thanks Guys for Slamming me on my first post! ;D

I'm going to take a different approach here and attempt to answer one of your questions. Now, I'm sure kinkanucks will kick me to the curb if I'm wrong here but here I go anyways:

I don't think it's too late to change the position you are applying for if you haven't been offered a position yet. Once you've completed the CFAT you will be told which trades you qualify for and that's (to the best of my knowledge) when you get to choose the trade you want. So, to sum up: if you haven't even taken the test yet, you should be able to choose SigOp if it's available and you qualify for it.

There are opportunities in the navy for comms people also and you might want to look at those careers as well.

Good luck with your test and interview.

NavComm
I hope you are right...I tried on Friday to get this question answered at the Recuiting Office but the lines were busy.Impressions from my last visit the Recuitiers are extremely busy with applicants.I'll know soon enough on Monday and post my findings.Thanks for your help "Dennis"

You're welcome. Best of luck on Monday. Bring lots of water, it's probably going to be a long day!

NavComm
I passed the CFAT and with my University/ Work Experience I qualify for the DEO Program!! After chatting with a Military Career Counselor in a Pre Interview(wanted to know why I was interested in Signal Operator) I decided to spend the next three weeks investigating all possible options.I then will reshedule my interview for the career I select. Thanks for your input "Dennis" :)

Back