• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Should I accept the offer or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zhao

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I just got my offer of enrollment in the Canadian Armed Forces yesterday.

a.                  you will be enrolled into the Regular Force, as a Supply Technician in the Sea environment under the Unskilled entry plan;
b.                  you will be enrolled at the rank of Ordinary Seaman (R);
c.                  your pay level will be IPC 1  as set out in Chapter 204 of the Compensation and Benefit Instructions, Pay of Officers and Non-Commissioned Members;
d.                  your initial terms of service will be Variable Intermediate Engagement of three years;

And I got my graduate school offer last week too.
I applied supply chain management masters degree program in University of Windsor, which starts in January 2015.

I hold a bachelor degree from University of Alberta, and I applied logistics officer in the beginning of my CF application after my graduation .
But then I was told that there was no spot for that trade, and I was asked if I was willing to choose NCM, or else they would close my file.
At that time, I had no choice but to accept it, since I had no experience at all, and working as a Supply Technician would be a great experience.

However, it took me 16 months from the online application, then paper works, then written test, then interview.
During this period, I gained a lot experience already, and I am working in the huge company that pays me well, and I eventually applied to do further study in this field.

So, what should I do?

You know what, I found it very annoying, because CF does not leave me enough time to deal with my stuff.
I have to quit my job, sell my car, get rid of my apartment and everything within A month.

and I have to

"Avoid problems and ensure that your personal and family administration is in good hands before your departure and for the entire duration of the course.
Prepare yourself physically, adopt a good health plan with a regular physical training program (the recruiting center may help you with this)"

Are you serious?

What I am worrying is that, is it worthy to join the CF now?

"your pay level will be IPC 1"

I am making $3000+  after tax per month now, which means.

I am PAYING money to join the CF.

Yes, my wage will increase when I get promoted, and money does not really mean a lot to me as I came from a middle class family.

But let's think about the opportunity cost.

After 3 years, I might be promoted to Corporal, by that time, I will be paid like $3000+ after tax per month...

It will only take me 2 years to finish my master degree on the other hand.

Although having a master degree does not guarantee a better job, still, I find it a waste of time if working as a NCM.

People says that it is possible to transfer to logistics officer later, but how long will it take, no one can promise....

Thank you.

Sorry I posted my first topic in the wrong section where not everyone can read my post...

So, you're making more money now in something you say you like, have admissions into a Masters program, flip-flopping on whether the NCM trade you were accepted into is for you, and waiting to see if you can transfer to Log O.

I think you just answered your own question - you just wanted others (who you don't know) to confirm it. 

Oh, the CF (or any military) will not always guarantee you enough time to get your affairs in order.  People have been deployed to conflict zones in days of getting notice that they were even going, and there is a LOT of stuff to get through. 

You sound spoiled and immature.  You have the wherewithal to complete a Bachelors Degree and get into Master's program, but can't make up your own damn mind about joining the CF, and then bitching about the low starting rates.  Guess what sunshine, you aren't special.  Many others have made much bigger sacrifices then you to join, and they didn't whine about it on the internet. 

As well your other post was removed and you will receive a warning for spamming.

This is locked.

Hatchet Man
Army.ca Staff

Nope. Someone else has worked their ass off for it and wants it more. Save us the attitude case and quit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back