• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"Shooting down avalanches all in a day’s work for Edmonton reservist"

desert_rat

Inactive
Reaction score
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/Shooting+down+avalanches+work+Edmonton+reservist/4083560/story.html?cid=dlvr.it-twitter-edmontonjournal

Nice little story.

Clearly they didn't get the definition of a "bombardier" by asking the good Bombardier herself.

::)

Glad to see old habits die hard: They're using camoufelaged guns for avalanche control. I guess they don't want Mother Nature to see them coming :) .

Oldgateboatdriver said:
Glad to see old habits die hard: They're using camoufelaged guns for avalanche control. I guess they don't want Mother Nature to see them coming :) .

Actually I think they are covered in snow and crap from the road move up there.... if you take a closer look you can still see green on the gun....

Thanks NFLD, you are correct. I didn't see any cam nets set up. The guns are the colours of the Artillery, we don't paint them to fit into the territory. Would you change the colours of your Regimental flags to fit into your surroundings? Ubique

gun runner said:
Thanks NFLD, you are correct. I didn't see any cam nets set up. The guns are the colours of the Artillery, we don't paint them to fit into the territory. Would you change the colours of your Regimental flags to fit into your surroundings? Ubique

Oh?

hergunpetm109b.jpg

Source: http://www.artillery.net/new/hergunpetm109.html

In the photo it looks like they left the hydraulic jack down(visible just under the recoiling breech), tsk-tsk!

gun runner said:
The guns are the colours of the Artillery, we don't paint them to fit into the territory.

Oh i have seen them painted for winter before.

Petard said:
In the photo it looks like they left the hydraulic jack down(visible just under the recoiling breech), tsk-tsk!

Well, Gunners; what can one say? But it's a nice cam-paint job, isn't it?  >:D

E.R. Campbell said:
Well, Gunners; what can one say? But it's a nice cam-paint job, isn't it?  >:D

um, I'm referring to the Avcon C1, covered in snow and mud, not the sentinel M109A4.

Petard said:
um, I'm referring to the Avcon C1, covered in snow and mud, not the sentinel M109A4.

I kinda guessed that - even though my old eyes cannot see it - 'cause the M109's breech ain't doin' nuthin;' but I'm still yanking gun runner's chain over the "we don't paint our colours" comment.  >:D

Fair enough, game on Sir. ;D

Nice to see a positive article about gunners on domestic ops

gun runner said:

Yup. This is gonna hurt >:D

Petard said:

Petard, am I correct in thinking that the avalanche control guns were fitted with a jack to aid in quickly switching from target to target? (I believe all the avalanche control targets are recorded and gun data exists for each target that can be engaged from each firing point.)

And as for camming the guns, even in the bad old days before we started doing that in 1967, we used to smear mud all over the tacs signs that identified nationality, formation, unit/subunit and individual element in the field. Mind you, after driving on a wet road the stuff tossed up by the tires of the gun tractors pretty well covered up the paint job anyway.

I am not going to comment on the reporter's explanation of bombardier, other than to note the wartime RCAF term was bomb aimer. *Irony machine off.

Old Sweat said:
Petard, am I correct in thinking that the avalanche control guns were fitted with a jack to aid in quickly switching from target to target? (I believe all the avalanche control targets are recorded and gun data exists for each target that can be engaged from each firing point.)

That's pretty much the purpose, the jack is supposed to be swung back up and locked when firing. The trouble is the piston will sometimes bind inside the cylinder and get stuck in the open position. The det will usually try to pry it up with a shovel, but this doesn't always work, and time is a factor (they're basically doing quick actions alongside the highway to minimize the amount of time the highway is closed), and so understandibly they will sometimes fire with the jack still down to try and help jar it loose. Other times its because someone forgot.

The C1's will be replaced over the next 2 years by C3's, and the AVCON C3's will have a better hydraulic system fitted to them by this summer. One that is a two way system to help pull the piston back in, It'll also have a pressure release valve that will flow back into a reservoir, for those times when someone quite simply forgets to do their drill and stow the jack properly.

Ok, smart mouths, I get the point. What I meant, if I am aloud to clarify, is that the condition the guns are delivered to the battery is how we use them. We do not repaint to fit the environment. The guns remain cammed in green. Not painted white, unless there is a need to do so. The entire time I was a gunner, we shot the guns in all environs( except the sand box). Now that I am done..bring on the pain, and don't hold back. I have big shoulders! Ubique

P.S. By the way..Journeyman, I was a gunner way before I ever thought of the CIC.

gun runner said:
Ok, smart mouths, I get the point. What I meant, if I am aloud to clarify, is that the condition the guns are delivered to the battery is how we use them. We do not repaint to fit the environment. The guns remain cammed in green. Not painted white, unless there is a need to do so. The entire time I was a gunner, we shot the guns in all environs( except the sand box). Now that I am done..bring on the pain, and don't hold back. I have big shoulders! Ubique

P.S. By the way..Journeyman, I was a gunner way before I ever thought of the CIC.

;D

gun runner said:
We do not repaint to fit the environment.

Not painted white, unless there is a need to do so.
You don't even pretend to read what you post, do you? 

Here's a what somthing that's either a silly or sensitive question, but I'm curious...

How would duds be dealt with in avalance control? Or is that an issue?

Back