• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Self-Harm/Suicide Attempts/ And other Serious Mental Health Issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott 1988

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello. I'm turning 20 next month. During my teen years from about 13-18 I went through a severe depression. I was prescribed a bunch of different anti depressants and anti anxiety medications. I ran into some addiction problems with tranquilizers (which is on my chart). I also spent some time in a youth psychiatric hospital when I was 15-16 on two occasions for about a month both times. I was self admitted my parents made me but the point is I was not institutionalized. All for depression and anxiety not any kind of psychotic illness or anything like that. I am now 100% stable. It probably had something to do with imbalances caused by puberty. A good amount of teenagers suffer depression during this time.

Anyway I figured in my medical it might come up. I'm not depressed now and not on any kind of medication. I really want a career in the military and I hope this won't hold me back in any way. If any of you have any insight it would be greatly appreciated.  :)

You may want to put a bit of distance between yourself and your problems, 2 years isn't that long quite frankly, and the military can be quite hard a on a fragile psyche (provided you aren't screen out in the first place.  Not to mention the addiction issues which is also a huge red flag, for recruiters, I hope you have alternate career plans.

Scott 1988,

As with a multitude of threads like this, we can't really help you here. We're not doctors, nor are we the people you have to see and convince to enter the military. Those would be the Recruiters and the recruiting Medical personnel. There's really nothing we can say here that you can take to the bank. You have contact the Recruiting Centre for clarification. Good luck.

Cheers,

Milnet.ca Staff 

edit for spelling

Last year things were a bit stressful and I wound up seeing a psychologist on my family doctor's referral. We had about four sessions, after which his diagnosis was that any depression I had was situational and required a few life changes, as opposed to a prescription. This suited me fine as I'd rather not be on anything. Made the necessary changes and things have been, for the most part, better. Certainly there has been no need for medication, and no additional counseling.

How should this be disclosed during my medical/interview if/when asked? I have no intention of lying.

I don't see it hurting you.  As has been discussed in many a topic on this site, honesty is best. 

Honesty is a good quality and seeing a psychologist is nothing to be ashamed of.  Once you explain the reasons and end result of your visits you should be good.  Be ready to give the recruiting center  a contact number or medical proof if they ask.

From my personal experience - honesty might get you some more paperwork and a longer process, but dishonesty can cost you the opportunity period. Paperwork doesn't seem so bad now does it?

Ayrsayle said:
From my personal experience - honesty might get you some more paperwork and a longer process, but dishonesty can cost you the opportunity period. Paperwork doesn't seem so bad now does it?

Great summary. Be completely honest, and I doubt it will be an issue at all.

The QR&O includes a release item for those who make false statements on enrolment.  It's included with the release items for people sentenced at court-martial to being expelled from the military, to give you a sense of how such actions are viewed.

When you do your medical, there is a box to tick yes or no of "Have you ever had to see a psychologist, social worker, counsellor,etc" or words to that effect.  You'll be asked to explain it and the person doing your medical, depending on the situation, may require you to get a questionnaire filled out by the person you saw or your family doctor depending on the situation. 

As DP noted, (unless it's changed) Section 117 of the National Defence Act clearly states that it is an offense to make a false statement on enrollment and it is punishable by a up to and including a  whole pile of nastiness, such as jail time, dismissal with disgrace, etc ad nauseum.  Be honest, get the paper filled out if it's warranted, and things will likely go smoothly.

Cheers.

MM

Honesty is definitely the best policy.

In almost any community, we are separated from others by one or two degrees of separation. People know people. And people talk.

Better to be up front with your past. And not have lies catch up with you in a disastrous way in the future.

I know this has been brought up before, but I'm not getting a definitive answer. My girlfriend wants to join the reserves, but she suffers from bipolar disorder. And when I mean suffer, I mean suicidal thoughts, major bouts of mania and depression. She is a rapid-cycling bipolar. This means that while many sufferers have one or two episodes a year, she has that many a day.
I honestly don't think she should be allowed anywhere near a rifle. She is on a host of mood drugs, including lithium. I want her to realize her potential, but I don't think the military is the place for her.
I have expressed my concerns to her, but she lost her mind over it and accused me of interefering. I spoke to her recruiter, but I was told it was against the privacy act to discuss her application.
Can someone please tell me if she will be rejected out of hand for her current mental state. And if not, why not?
Thanks very much.

I don't understand. I asked a straightforward question about the medical process, and I've been shut down? Why?

Well, I must be missing something. I cannot get a definitive answer. I get ambiguity or a 'wait and see' response, or my question is locked down. The question again, at the risk of being locked, is: Will my girlfriend be rejected out-of-hand for being a rapid-cycling bipolar?

Absolutely not. That's my point. Will she be told outright or have to suffer through a lengthy process only to have her hopes raised unnecessarily?

Hub said:
Absolutely not. That's my point. Will she be told outright or have to suffer through a lengthy process only to have her hopes raised unnecessarily?

IF she went to the recruiting centre, she would go through the same process as any other applicant. If her medical issues are such that they will prevent her from joining, that will only be determined after the necessary medical examination and review process. In order to maintain fairness of process, the recruiting centre staff aren't allowed to just turn people away.

She has been to the recruiting centre, applied for a supply clerk job and has submitted all her papers. I am deathly afraid she will try to conceal her disorder from the med staff or try to downplay it. Kudos to her for trying, but to be honest, I am relieved to read that she will be rejected. It's not a good match.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back