• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Secondary Education Plus Experiance.

kbird

Inactive
Reaction score
My name is Kris, My wife and I have been discussing the option of joining the military, and we are working towards our goal. I have a question regarding the Trade I will be singing up for.
I have received a Certificate of Aircraft Maintenance Engineering that I received from two years of College and another 2 years of Rotary Wing experience as an apprentice AME, I will have a M1 license before I register with the Canadian forces, and  I will be signing up as an AVN.
I want to work on sea kings and cyclones, However If their are no positions available in that department, How difficult is it to transfer, and how long would I have to wait? Is it possible to end up in Nova Scotia with determination and hard work?

kbird said:
I want to work on sea kings and cyclones,

Good for you but in the end, you will work on whatever aircraft the CF decides to send you to. Thats how we work. Make sure that you state your preferences knowing full well that they are exactly that....preferences.

Is it possible to end up in Nova Scotia with determination and hard work?

Sea Kings operate in BC as well just so you know.

So if my main preference is waived and i get placed in an area where my family and I are not happy what are the odds of being able to transfer?

kbird said:
So if my main preference is waived

I dont know what you mean by "waived". When you join the CF, there's no expectation that they will send you where you would like.

and i get placed in an area where my family and I are not happy what are the odds of being able to transfer?

You will have to suck it up until theres an opening somewhere else that the career manager is willing to put you in to. Its not impossible but .......

To put it directly, if you don't want to move, don't join the military.
If you want to stay in one place for the rest of your life/career, don't join the military.

The CF sends you where you are needed.  Not to say that you can't state you have preferences, but don't be disappointed if you don't get them.

A couple of years ago I was told by the career manager at the time I would be promoted and posted to Montreal. Well the promotion came through but I was put in Trenton instead. You can put your three preferences on paper but you may get something completely different, as others have stated in this and many other threads, they put you where they need you.

Just from a previous experience, my father, who was an AVS Tech was told that he was going to be posted to Cold Lake in 1985 to work on then the new CF-18's.  Last minute while we were packing, things changed and his carreer manager changed his posting.  Thus instead of Cold Lake we were posted to Petawawa, in order for him to work on the Griffins.  Needless to say he wasn't happy.
This just goes to show that they put you where you are needed most, and things can change last minute as well (like most things in the CF lol)
cheers!

You work where the army needs you. If there's no opening where you want to go, and there is one someplace else, you're going someplace else.

Back