• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Scrapping the Subs - Media Pressure has Begun

Thanks  guys .. it was probably thrown in the gash after the first paragraph was read!!

McG: i forgot to respond to this part:
McG said:
The subs do fill a role in coastal security (because you don't always want they guys you are watching to know about it) and in operations outside Canadian waters.  

The best way to take care of an enemy submarine stalking your surface assets is another submarine with quieter characterisitcs, more advanced sensors and faster, longer range torpedo's. We have that ... it's called the Victoria SSK. A surface ship cannot really hide from a determined sub, although with enough warning they can attack and kill one or, if they are lucky, simply steam away at high speed with their stern puckered. Helo's with their electronics payload are at the mercy of the sea state, thermal layers and generally do better with seasoned crews who can think like sub skippers. Our fliers are top notch examples of that, despite the equipment problems.

A D.E.  sub with a good crew and decent equipment can sneak up on just about anything surfaced or submerged and sink it, photograph it, board it or whatever the mission dictates. We must not lose this capability, it is that simple!!!

Cheers ... 

Did anybody by chance see this clown Staples yesterday on global sunday? The panel was made up with this Staples character, a retired O-boat commander(Jay Plante), and two other analysts. The readers digest version is that he tried to make the same kinda points as Whiskey mentioned, and the retired submariner made him look like a tit  >:D

Here's part of the transcript:

http://www.canada.com/national/globalsunday/story.html?id=3ed23c33-cbe3-4821-a4bc-5e6efc7734ba

damn thats annoying... i guess they want us to buy a copy of the transcript. 

I was under the impression that main reason the Aussies rejected the Upholders was becuase there were only 4 of them? 

Where the hell do these guys come up with this stuff?

Bourbeau: The effects of years of underfunding and almost no strategic direction from the government can be seen in all three branches of the military. For example the Navy is still flying Sea King helicopters, which spend much more time in repair hangars than they do in the air. A replacement is finally on the way, but it will be years before the last Sea King is retired.

The Navy's supply ships and destroyers are thirty-five years old with no replacements in sight. And the electronics on board the Aurora long-range patrol aircraft are obsolete. They're now being updated and the Navy is hoping to squeeze another twenty years of life out of these planes.

Since when do the Auroras and Sea Kings belong to the Navy? These guys call themselves experts? S***, my grandmother knows more about defense than most of these clowns. The worst part is the media plays these guys off as experts and the public believe it. It's embarrassing.

A slight correction to my previous thought, David Bercuson is bang on. This guy knows his stuff. I had the opportunity to sit in one of his history lectures at U of Calgary, he's a fantastic speaker and very pro-military.

Anne McLellan MP from Calgary Alberta perhaps? but originally from Nova Scotia is (I can hardly
believe it) Deputy Prime Minister - a few minutes ago she was quoted on the CBC saying that
the Government is considering "laying up the fleet" - not a term one would hear in Calgary,
but certainly in DND HQ, or either Canadian Coast. I detest the CBC, but occasionally check
their sites on the Net. The CBC destroyed the Canadian Airborne Regiment. Its reports from
the Middle East are so distorted (they in fact, lie) that the public network is frequently subject
to criticism by "Honest Reporting" focused on the truth in reporting on Israel. The Canadian
submarine had an unfortunate and sad accident. Sometimes unavoidable in the real world.
But your previous observation that Canada focused on nuclear submarines in the 1980's
is correct, and I think the concept was supported by then PM Brian Mulroney and most of his
Cabinet, including the PC MP's from Halifax and Nova Scotia. The submarine service should
continue of course, it would be outrageous to write off the dedicated service of the crews
of these   vessels, who represent this Country with zeal and courage. MacLeod

I see that the Navy has ordered all subs to return to dock.  Maybe that's what MacLellan was alluding to.  A temporary tie up until the cause of the fire can be determined.  A fairly sensible precaution and unfortunately a fairly routine occurence with our Cormorants, SeaKings, Griffons, Hornets, Hawks, Tucanos.......am I forgetting any? 

Anyway I just hope they don't forget to untie them at a later date.

Kirkhill, I agree with your analysis, even if I don't know what a "Tucano" is.  It might be a bit of a relief for the families of the crews to have them "feet dry" until the cause is determined. Check your PM's in a second.

A Tucano is what the British or some other country on the other side of the pond call the Harvard II, the Americans call it the Texan II.

I wouldn't have even known that if there weren't guys in Moose Jaw that had instructed in Saudi

Edit-Che hit the wrong button, meant to PM you, sorry Inch.

Those interested in a good non-biased description of the Victoria class might want to check out the following link, good pics:

http://www.saoc-central.com/letter.html

Also saw it on the dann website.  Counters that Idiot Staples pretty good, especially the 'World Wide Submarine Proliferation' - sure wouldn't hurt for our Surface ships or Auroras' to have some pratice against the type of threat they may encounter in Middle East or Asia.

I understand it was written in the late-90s before the official rename of the Upholder class.  :salute:

:cdn:

Why don't we invite the gentleman here to see if he can convince us?

steven_staples@on.aibn.com

The Embraer "Tucano" is a turboprop high performance advanced military training aircraft which
was bought by the Thatcher Conservative government in Great Britain, and manufactured/assembled
in the United Kingdom. It was a very controversial purchase at the time. The Raytheon-Beech
"Texan Two" is based on the Swiss designed Pilatus PC-9, also turboprop powered and manufactured
by Raytheon-Beech in the United States. I know of at least one CF pilot from CFS Moose Jaw
(by way of VU-32 Squadron 12 Wing) who instructed in Saudi - there were probably others.MacLeod

MacLeod, you're right, they are different. I've always heard the names used interchangeably. Kirkhill, IF'dUp too!  :-[ I knew what you were talking about though.

There are quite a few guys in MJ that worked in Saudi, some are back with the CF and some instruct there as Bombardier employees.

Cheers

Oh well.  Can't be right all the time. 

Thanks Macleod.  :salute:

I'm not a submariner or a naval electrician and have no information on the overall fitness of
the Upholder class subs, but there is a logical reason why there was a fire onboard.

Many journalists and otherwise have stated the subs are no good, unuseable, and judging
from the facts presented (two consecutive fires, electrical panel blows up in shower of
sparks, adverse confined space environment, and tragic loss of life), seem justified on the
surface of things.  Subs are not as forgiving as a medium as a car on a Sunday afternoon
drive.  Without understanding what really failed on the sub, making judgements based
on no facts seems to be what CBC does best.

Personally, I'd like to know the real reason behind the fires.  Something pulled alot of
current with no apparent circuit breaker/fuse protection, created fires and flooded the
compartments with fumes quickly.  Though its a definite technical problem, it may be
the problem has no bearing on design or functionality.  Before I'd discuss scrapping
subs or the program, its better to find out what really went wrong and act on that data.

Back